The Art of Terran Macro

(Sticky)

I thought that was very helpful.

If I could distill one point out of that it would be:
Build more production buildings.
Reply Quote
Wow! That post had a lot of effort put in to it. Kudos to you, good sir.
Reply Quote
Excellent post and I do agree, this is the way that Terran SHOULD be played. The question though is, why isn't it happening??

Answer: It's a game design flaw
    1. Marines are too strong
    2. Siege Tanks are too weak
    3. Terran Tier 3 is too weak

As a Terran, you have your maximum advantage early in the game. By mid-late game, Protoss and Zerg have the advantage. Any competitive Terran player is going to see that you have to win the game EARLY. You definitely don't want to let things get to mid-late game, and hence we are not seeing as many Macro games.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see more Macro games, they're definitely a lot more fun and entertaining. At the same time though, players don't like to lose.

The solution here, is for Blizzard to fix these game design flaws. Make the marine a bit weaker early, and strengthen the Siege Tank and Tier 3. Rushes will go down, MMM will go down, and the Macro game that you describe so eloquently becomes the standard of play.
Reply Quote
Posted by cousinjoe

Exactly.
Reply Quote
I woulda said tl;dr for just one of those walls but wow I got ninjaed by like 6 walls of text - very nicely done.

So, taking into account that I didn't read much of that
1) make lots of scvs and make them mine stuff
2) Mules go mine stuff too
3) 5dddaaa
4) 6sssss
5)5dddaaa
6)6sssss

Where,
5 = my barracks hotkey
6= cc

That is all the macro you need for terran beyond simcitying.
Reply Quote
As the author of the mentioned Terran macro thread, I have a really good replay showing:

1) Terran Mechanized Play against Protoss and Zerg opponents
2) Good Sensor Tower placement
3) Use of all good macro techniques mentioned
4) A demonstration of transitionary cycles from MM to Tank/Thor to Battlecruisers.
5) Working with a less skilled ally against more skilled opponents.

Check it out here:

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/118886-2v2-terran-protoss-zerg-war-zone
Reply Quote
This is a really excellent thread. I have certainly struggled with that point in the game where you are trying to secure your 3rd.

I think one of my biggest problems is in trying to keep all of this in my head as I play, and in trying to remember to Macro.

It seems like once you get into the mid-game, there is so much to pay attention to out on the battlefield, that it is easy to fall behind on the macro. Do you have any advice for building this multi-tasking skill?
Reply Quote
This is a fantastic tool. I'm printing this. You should consider posting it as a FAQ on GameFAQS.

+1, only because I can't +1000.

EDIT:

For those interested, this is about 15 pages long printed, with all of the spaces compressed to one space between each paragraph.
Edited by MeeMeesiko on 12/21/2010 10:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Are you Winterborn from RH?
Reply Quote
Posted by tGPrax
I read it all, very basic simple key points that might get you started on the basics of Terran macro. You could have went into Specific builds '3rax off 1base + expansion at 7:00 Build', or 'adjusting gas timings for Cheesy strats that require gas', but non the less, covers majority of the theories behind Terran macro. Definitely suggest this thread to anyone who has trouble with their macros.

*On 2.3.2 Section Easy maps, there's a small typo. "Quite frankly, Shakuras is a macro gamers dream, providing you keep an eye on the back door." I think you meant Provided,

Thanks for catching that. I'll edit it when Blizzard fixes whatever it is when you edit that makes it put in 5 spaces between each line.

I thought about putting more info like what you mentioned, such as build orders that incorporates an expo into a build, but as it was so long already.....I decided to keep to the most basic points, and it was still 7,000 words.

I know you have a crap ton more points then me, so let me ask you this: does macro like this work in the higher leagues, or does it turn to more one base play? I know, especially with you guys, its a reactive game. I'm trying to get a feel for how my gaming will have to change as I get higher and higher
Reply Quote
Posted by cousinjoe
Excellent post and I do agree, this is the way that Terran SHOULD be played. The question though is, why isn't it happening??

As a Terran, you have your maximum advantage early in the game. By mid-late game, Protoss and Zerg have the advantage. Any competitive Terran player is going to see that you have to win the game EARLY. You definitely don't want to let things get to mid-late game, and hence we are not seeing as many Macro games.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see more Macro games, they're definitely a lot more fun and entertaining. At the same time though, players don't like to lose.

The solution here, is for Blizzard to fix these game design flaws. Make the marine a bit weaker early, and strengthen the Siege Tank and Tier 3. Rushes will go down, MMM will go down, and the Macro game that you describe so eloquently becomes the standard of play.

I don't necessarily agree about Teir 3 units.The battle cruiser, yes. That cracker is way too slow to be any good. Every time I've tried using it I just get out run

But I like the thor. When you use the right combination of units with it, such as those marines, and banshees, ravens, ect, they can be a great dealer of damage, as well as a tank for it, if you upgrade their armor.
Reply Quote
awesome very helpful, even for a bronzie like me
Reply Quote
Posted by BeefMaster
This is a really excellent thread. I have certainly struggled with that point in the game where you are trying to secure your 3rd.

I think one of my biggest problems is in trying to keep all of this in my head as I play, and in trying to remember to Macro.

It seems like once you get into the mid-game, there is so much to pay attention to out on the battlefield, that it is easy to fall behind on the macro. Do you have any advice for building this multi-tasking skill?

You wont learn it right off. You never do. But if you understand the principles, it can make it easier. For starters, focus on one step at a time, such getting one base running smoothly, with production, supply, building SCV's, building buildings at the right time, ect. Keep on macroing, of course, but that's your focus at first. Then, once that is smooth, look at your second expo. Getting that up smoothly, building buildings and units, saturating it, ect. Then look to smooth your third.

Learn by steps, and you'll get there soon enough.
Reply Quote
12/21/2010 10:01 AMPosted by BridgeS
Are you Winterborn from RH?

Indeed I am ;)
Reply Quote
Exellent thread, even being 2k diamond, I found thing or two that helped me remember some key things like preventing expos, doing more drops, making more production, etc.

Let like this thread into frontpage!
Reply Quote
I read all of it. best thread ever. This is what I need to make it to the next level and stay there. My biggest problem was macro.
Reply Quote
Great thread.

A few tips from a humble silver player:

1. Hotkey production buildings as soon as you start constructing them. That way you don't build buildings and forget about them, and you can produce and create tech labs from hotkey select, so theres really never a reason to go back to that building.

2. Que up a bunch of supply buildings before you push out. its kind of a sloppy/lazy thing to do, but personally I'd rather have 400-500 min tied up in a supply building que rather than being told I'm supply constrained when I try to hotkey produce. Having to revisit my base to make supply depots kind of defeats the purpose of hotkey producing.

3. Don't be in such a rush to mine out your main. I always use mules on my most recent expansion. Your opponent is going to attack your most vulnerable, most mineral rich expansion. At 10-12 minutes in he's going to attack your natural. If you loose your natural and your main is nearly mined out you'll be SOL. Same theory applies to 3rd expo vs natural.
Edited by TheRagnCajun on 12/21/2010 12:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nice article :3 hopefully this will help me since I slowly found myself slipping out of diamond league. I usually don't have problem with mid/late game though :( find myself losing to early game cheeses or pushes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]