StarCraft® II

Offline Play

Hello. Went to friend's house. Played some SC2, had a good time, and taking my computer back home to the country. No internet access at my house. I try to play SC2, as per directions for offline play, and I cannot get past the login screen. Here is my step by step:

1) Start SC2 and click "Play as Guest" (as I have read this is only way to play SC2, in any manner, without an internet connection).

2) So I push play offline and I get "offline play authorization required .To enable offline play, connect to b.net to authorize your game client. you also need at least one Sc2 character on the account".

3)Give the 'One Finger Discount' to Blizz because, since I played with friends not an hour earlier, I have authorized the game and made a character/profile.

First and foremost, I need to know, from a Blizz Rep only: Does StarCraft 2 REQUIRE a constant internet connection to play it all?

For the second part, if the answer is "No, it works without any sort of internet connection", then is there a problem with this method of play?

My only thought to solving my own problem is this: something happened to cache stored on my machine legitimizing my copy and the data that should allow me to play is missing. Since, obviously, I am online now and have tried numerous times by logging into battle.net and fixing it, something is wrong. Maybe with the cache or something.

All of my friends who played with me also have disconnected their PCs from the net and have tried offline play and they too have the same issue. So luckily/unluckily, it's not just me.

I have combed google for an answer but the only thing I have found so far are others with this same issue and a few hacks and torrents to just bypass it all and get a free copy of SC2.

I don't mean to offend other posters and forumers/ettes, but please do not post on this message unless you have a tried and true method for making this work. I'd like a Blizz agent to see this before it gets gummed up by others saying "me 2" or something else idiotic that doesn't get the job done.
Reply Quote
BUMP
Reply Quote
Regardless whether OP has a internet connection for his country home or not, the real problem is that Blizzard has provided this offline mode for legit users who do not have CONSTANT or UNFILTERED access to the internet and it's not working.

I have tried to clear the ProgramData cache and recreate the offline fine but that doesn't do anything.
Reply Quote
It doesn't list CONSTANT internet connection.
That's what the damn OP is asking for.
Did you even read the OP's post?

Getting a Blizzard Rep to say a constant internet connection is important because that is not at all what the requirements say. If someone does say constant then that's a completely new ball game because I do not see any particular reason why they would implement offline mode at all then.
Edited by Joelkeim on 7/28/2010 9:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is a game that has a single-player mode. It shouldn't require internet connectivity for single-player mode. I should only need internet for multi-player and for game updates.
Reply Quote
I am not against new idea. Playing on internet, doing the mission and all there is good... but, even if internet is ''pretty much core to being a modern human'', there is no way a game(except WoW and other multiplayer game like this) should only work with internet.

Plus, they COULD have worked a little bit more on it so it perfectly work and could makes everyone happy...
Reply Quote
This is a game that has a single-player mode. It shouldn't require internet connectivity for single-player mode. I should only need internet for multi-player and for game updates.

Unfortunately, that is not Blizzard's model for Starcraft 2. Complain all you like but nothing will come out of it.

However, the OP's claim is legitimate. Let's assume one requires an internet connection to play Starcraft 2. If he acquires a connection for one-time connection to Battlenet to establish offline capabilities, then that means the customer has met his side of expectations. Now it is Blizzard's turn to meet theirs. Since Starcraft 2 requirements does not list CONSTANT internet connection, he has a legitimate claim. In this case, Blizzard needs to respond.
Reply Quote
Yes, and I got crappy Clearwire due to Comcrap being too damn expensive. They don't allow P2P or online gaming for that matter. If I dare connect to authenicate my SC2 to play offline mode then I lose my internet service for good.

Though blizzard's DRM is more like Steam's which has been cracked and hacked and emulated a lot of times.
Reply Quote
I have the same problem. I have tried all the suggestions made by blue posters and all the legitimate suggestions made by regular posters. Nothing has worked. While I think it is downright stupid to require any type of internet connection for a single player game, I'm willing to go through the hoops Blizzard has set up, and I did just what they asked by verifying my account and creating a character. I even played for a limited time online, just to make sure I could, but I STILL CAN'T PLAY THE CAMPAIGN OFFLINE, which is the main reason I bought the game. I couldn't care less about the online multi-player portion.
Reply Quote

Getting a Blizzard Rep to say a constant internet connection is important because that is not at all what the requirements say. If someone does say constant then that's a completely new ball game because I do not see any particular reason why they would implement offline mode at all then.

A broadband internet connection is an "ALWAYS ON" connection.
Reply Quote

A broadband internet connection is an "ALWAYS ON" connection.

Then what is the point of offline mode?
Reply Quote
My friend has the same problem and he installed it on a macbook pro.

I installed the game on my PC and tested the game in both online and offline mode. The offline mode does work for me when I don't have any internet.

I was figuring it was a bug for a mac install...
Reply Quote
I had this problem when I installed it on my iMac to use it. Seems you need to log in once on the computer you want to use Offline or Guest Mode on to play it that way, after that you can play w/o being online.

This is how I'm seeing it anyway.
Reply Quote
Dear RampTram, some of us on this planet: a) live out in the country and internet, even dial up, is quite difficult to get, b) travel and do not have constant wifi connections, c) plain wish to not have the internet at home purely out of freedom of choice, and/or d) any other reason they would want to be able to play StarCraft 2 offline.

Maybe you were confused by my original post asking politely not to add comments unless it was a Blizz rep or someone who experienced this exact same issue and found a solution. So please, I ask you to stay away.

As for everyone else, I understand your situation, but please do not muddy up this post with unneeded chat. If your problem is the exact same as mine and are just as in need of help, someone from Blizz or a forum hero will post here.

Thank you all.
Reply Quote
One more bump
Reply Quote
Try this at your friends house.

1. Connect to Battle.net in the game.
2. Hit menu in the corner and click log-out.
3. When logged out click play as guest and it SHOULD work this time.

I just "figured" it out for a friend i have who spent quite a bit of time %#@*!ing at myself and others over how "its gay you have to have internet 24/7 to play"

To make sure it really does work I suggest after getting it up to exit the game, disable the internet connection, and try again. I did and it still allowed me to play offline after what I did above.
Reply Quote
I am having a similar problem, i can into offline mode but i need to have the internet to turn it on, i need to log into my battle net account then log back out turn off my wireless card and try to log back in to get to offline mode.

(the reason i try to get to offline mode, is sometimes i would like to play on my laptop when i am on the go, and i cant always have internet there but with how it works out i cant use offline mode like that)
Reply Quote
Blizzard employees have specifically stated that "while you won't want to play offline, it is possible to play offline". Right now, it is not possible to play offline. Companies cannot make false statements about their products, at least they shouldn't. if offline doesn't work, than Blizzard made a false claim about their BROKEN product.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]