StarCraft® II

Offline Play

"StarCraft II requires an active internet connection to play" Hmm my box says "internet connection required". That seems like 2 different things to me. One I get as you must be on-line to play. The other is to verify your account you must have a internet connection. Am I the only one who reads these as different ?
Reply Quote
Customer service said :
You need to log on at least once on your Battle.net account on that computer on a working connection before Offline Mode can be enabled. It only works for 30 days before you need to reauthorize it.
"30 DAYS"

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/112311280?page=1
Reply Quote
And then requires a fresh authentication when the computer is turn off ???
I do not understand ???
Reply Quote
Where is the 30 day thing mentioned: on the box? in the booklet? where?
Reply Quote

datth
datth View Posts
datth
Customer Service Edited by Datth on 7/27/10 11:10 AM You need to log on at least once on your Battle.net account on that computer on a working connection before Offline Mode can be enabled. It only works for 30 days before you need to reauthorize it. #3
7/27/10 11:10 AM

Reply Quote
Looks like it didn't take. I'll try this again.

I thought I let you guys know That blizzard ain't going to fix crap. I decided to uninstall and reinstall the game and read the EULA. Heres what it say's:

STARCRAFT®II: WINGS OF LIBERTY™(THE "GAME")IS AN ACTIVE PRODUCT THAT REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE AN ACTIVE INTERNET CONNECTION TO COMPLETE THE INSTALLATION OF THIS GAME.

BEFORE YOU CAN PLAY THE GAME, YOU MUST:(I)INSTALL THE GAME;(II)REGISTER,OR HAVE PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED, A BATTLE.NET®ACCOUNT;(III)LOG IN TO THE BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT REGISTERED TO YOU;(IV)ENTER THE AUTHENTICATION CODE THAT WAS PROVIDED WITH YOUR PURCHASE OF LICENSE TO PLAY THE GAME,AND(V) COMPLETE THE INSTALLATION OF THE GAME BY ACCEPTING THE GAME'S END USER LICENSEAGREEMENT. THE GAME IS THE COPYRIGHTED PRODUCT OF BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT,INC., AND CAN ONLY BE USED IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE GAME'S END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT AND THE BATTLE.NET TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT. THE GAME IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD IF AFTER READING THE GAME'S END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ITS TERMS, YOU CAN RETURN THE GAME TO THE PLACE OF PURCHASE, OR YOU MAY OBTAIN THE INFORMATION NEEDED TO CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE FRO YOUR COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE AT http://us.starcraft2.com/support/ TO OBTAIN REFUND INFORMATION.

Well you got me Activision/Blizzard. I should have read my EULA. Notice that this game is LICENSED AND NOT SOLD. They clearly state that its not our game that its theirs. This is a common banking scheme designed to squeeze every last penny out of us. Well, I will no longer support this Corporate bull!#%@. Parents don't buy this for you kids as they have no knowledge. Even tho its clearly stated in the EULA doesn't make it right. I will take a loss on this but I will never buy Activision/Blizzard games again. If you buy these games you are only supporting greed and people are suffering because of this. If I see people looking at this game I will warn them of this. Its sad, I've been a blizzard fan from the 90's. Please people wake up to the money grabbing fascism. Its up to you to stop this kind of business designed to rob us. There are plenty of other good games out there that will at least let you own the game and be able to install it on multiple computers. Please boycott this world banking scheme, If you already have taken a loss as I have. Just don' t support anymore of this type of games and spread the word. I can't really blame blizzard when Activision bought them out and brought their fascists policies with them. I've since uninstalled this game for good to collect dust on the shelf. Maybe they will change their policy but I doubt it since we are this monetary system of the British empire and not the American credit system designed by our forefathers. Good luck to you people who are caught up in this STARCRAFTED scheme. I hope you wake up.

Signed
Dissapointed blizzard fan.
Reply Quote
lol didnt i say that earlier they want us to cough up the cash. greed or so they say cost effective for the greater good of the company. it also means the diablo 3 will suffer the same fate. with all the hassles of online play with all the disconnects, this product is far from fun when it relies on internet. its pretty much like a celphone with no freaking service.
Reply Quote
Seriously Blizz? Seriously? Shame on you. This is not an online only game. No sc2 on the laptop on a family road trip or the podunk hotel you're in. 30 day authentication business doesn't work. My internet is down (again) and I'd sure love a good AI game or some campaign but apparently I am unauthenticated despite having played 2 days ago. Sorry pal, I know you thought you bought a game, but you only gave us $$ to play when we say so. This isn't WoW. Its not an online only game and you really should have devised a better anti-piracy idea because you're alienating the heck out of a great many loyal fans.

You think that controlling the software this way is gonna mean more money for you but look at the music industry, are they flourishing since they tried that? Very foolish move.

I'm pulling my stock... just as soon as it makes any money....
Reply Quote
i am having the same issue, dial up connection, login, close internet connection, play, reboot. and offline mode stop working again.

as with anyone else on a slow or dial up connection, connecting to play single player games is atrocious. and once you do connect you may or may not receive the auto update crap that will suddenly take your 2 minute internet connection to 'authenticate' your game into a 3-4 hour patch download session.

let me put it this way blizzard, fix this game so that I can play offline(forever!), or tell me how I go about getting a refund! I don't need the headaches or the timesuck.
Reply Quote

Well you got me Activision/Blizzard. I should have read my EULA. Notice that this game is LICENSED AND NOT SOLD. They clearly state that its not our game that its theirs. This is a common banking scheme designed to squeeze every last penny out of us. Well, I will no longer support this Corporate bull!#%@. Parents don't buy this for you kids as they have no knowledge. Even tho its clearly stated in the EULA doesn't make it right. I will take a loss on this but I will never buy Activision/Blizzard games again. If you buy these games you are only supporting greed and people are suffering because of this. If I see people looking at this game I will warn them of this. Its sad, I've been a blizzard fan from the 90's. Please people wake up to the money grabbing fascism. Its up to you to stop this kind of business designed to rob us. There are plenty of other good games out there that will at least let you own the game and be able to install it on multiple computers. Please boycott this world banking scheme, If you already have taken a loss as I have. Just don' t support anymore of this type of games and spread the word. I can't really blame blizzard when Activision bought them out and brought their fascists policies with them. I've since uninstalled this game for good to collect dust on the shelf. Maybe they will change their policy but I doubt it since we are this monetary system of the British empire and not the American credit system designed by our forefathers. Good luck to you people who are caught up in this STARCRAFTED scheme. I hope you wake up.

Signed
Dissapointed blizzard fan.

Pretty much every EULA for every game ever has similar wording that says you're licensing the product, and you don't actually own the game. Blizzard is by no means alone in this. If you refuse to buy any more games that have this kind of wording in their EULA, you might as well stop playing video games entirely.
Reply Quote
Yeah, this same thing happened to me this week. I knew I would be without internet beforehand, so I was saving the campaign for it, but when I tried to log on (with the same computer that was playing sc2 maybe 12 hours prior) it said I had to connect to bnet to be authorized (same thing with the map editor). Meh.

At least I am now more aware of how much the pathfinding has improved since WCIII/SC1 ;), but I would like to be able to play offline. It's like the entire point of single-player.
Reply Quote
STARCRAFT®II: WINGS OF LIBERTY™(THE "GAME")IS AN ACTIVE PRODUCT THAT REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE AN ACTIVE INTERNET CONNECTION TO COMPLETE THE INSTALLATION OF THIS GAME.

BEFORE YOU CAN PLAY THE GAME, YOU MUST:(I)INSTALL THE GAME;(II)REGISTER,OR HAVE PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED, A BATTLE.NET®ACCOUNT;(III)LOG IN TO THE BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT REGISTERED TO YOU;(IV)ENTER THE AUTHENTICATION CODE THAT WAS PROVIDED WITH YOUR PURCHASE OF LICENSE TO PLAY THE GAME,AND(V) COMPLETE THE INSTALLATION OF THE GAME BY ACCEPTING THE GAME'S END USER LICENSEAGREEMENT. THE GAME IS THE COPYRIGHTED PRODUCT OF BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT,INC., AND CAN ONLY BE USED IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE GAME'S END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT AND THE BATTLE.NET TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT. THE GAME IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD IF AFTER READING THE GAME'S END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ITS TERMS, YOU CAN RETURN THE GAME TO THE PLACE OF PURCHASE, OR YOU MAY OBTAIN THE INFORMATION NEEDED TO CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE FRO YOUR COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE AT http://us.starcraft2.com/support/ TO OBTAIN REFUND INFORMATION.

Unless I missed something... this says we require an internet connection to INSTALL the game... not PLAY the game. (III) implies that you only have to log in ONCE. A bit misleading, isn't it?

Even if they somehow covered up that loophole... what's the point of having an offline mode when it needs to go online in order to go offline again? Multiple people have stated the impossibility of finding internet where they are. I find that pretty ridiculous.

I have waited too long for this game to have a system so restrictive imposed on me. I actually respected Blizzard by legitimately buying their game and actually giving them my good $60, just to have this extemely inconvenient system thrown on me.

That hurts.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Offline mode is intended to be available for 30 days upon authenticating your client by first logging in with an active internet connection; however, we are aware of an issue with the offline mode not functioning properly after the computer has been restarted. We are working on a solution for this issue to be included in an upcoming patch. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this matter.
Reply Quote
Offline mode is intended to be available for 30 days upon authenticating your client by first logging in with an active internet connection; however, we are aware of an issue with the offline mode not functioning properly after the computer has been restarted. We are working on a solution for this issue to be included in an upcoming patch. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this matter.

I believe there are other people out there who may have already "patched" your game for you to fix these hassles. It's highly aggravating that those of us who don't use these versions of the game "patched" by someone other than Blizzard have to put up with this kind of crap with offline play.

I have a laptop. I take it places with me. Sometimes those places don't have internet and I still wish to play SC2.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE FRIGGEN GAME I PAYED FOR.
Reply Quote

I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE FRIGGEN GAME I PAYED FOR.

Now you're just being unreasonable.
Reply Quote
Patience people. He said patch is coming.
Resolve to other "patches"? Not a good idea if you ask me. you may have problem install the official patch next time.
Reply Quote
heh....didn't realize my internet had gone down so I rebooted my computer and was stuck with no SC2, no internet, and no TV last night...and of course no WoW (@$%^# you Suddenlink)

PLEASE get this issue fixed soon....
Edited by BrainSmashR on 9/9/2010 4:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi, i have this problem. I use the game in my laptop and i dont have internet connection all the time.

This is my case:

1) i can connect to bnet.
2) Log off from bnet.
3) Close the game. (Only close the game, not reboot the OS)
4) Next Open the game
5) I try to use the guest user (offline mode), and dont Work!!!! (Show a message to activate the game)

Please fix this fast!

PD: My OS is Win 7 Enterprise
Edited by Caliz on 9/9/2010 7:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
God this problem is driving me up the wall!!! Majority of the people I know are able to play a game that I've waited for years to come out and I can't play it offline like they can.

$(*#*$&*(#!!!!
Reply Quote
Atleast my internet is back on now. Guess if it goes out again I will have to just wait for the patch. Atleast I learned from this and wont allow them to keep sucking me out of money for the next two installments, Diablo 3. So long everyone
Edited by Hartik on 9/9/2010 9:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]