StarCraft® II

Offline Play

Im surprised that there's no complaints about this offline bug in the press.
I mean, the reviews about the game are always so positive, they never show
a single failure. But when Assassin's Creed 2 was released, there was a huge talk
about the whole DRM thing.
Reply Quote
I hate blizz as much as the next guy. However, no one seems to sympathize with them that they are just trying to protect their product from piracy. Granted they've also already admitted to the offline mode being broken for people who were able to connect to the internet before the patch which is unfortunate and some would say unacceptable. But at the end of the day all blizz is guilty of is protecting their software.
Reply Quote
STILL WAITING 8 minutes after your new patch ETA to use a piece of software I paid for in full 41 days ago
Reply Quote
I can understand blizzard wanting to prevent people from using hacked versions of the game and all that jazz, I totally support them in their effort to crack down on anybody cheating in any of their games and they have always been good about it.

But!

Making it so those of us who have bought their games can't play the game because the servers are down are quite frustrating. I havn't beat the campaign out of sheer laziness and my addiction to multi-player. So the only times I do play it is when the servers are down as then I can't play multiplayer. Don't get me wrong, I know I don't get achievement (big whoop) but I would like to eventually play the single player game when I want, regardlessly of if I currently have a net connection or not.

To say i'm disappointed in blizzard right now is an understatement.
Reply Quote
It is just funny to me that the actual pirates CAN play single player right now while legitimate retail purchasers cannot. That is really a joke.
Reply Quote
I hate blizz as much as the next guy. However, no one seems to sympathize with them that they are just trying to protect their product from piracy. Granted they've also already admitted to the offline mode being broken for people who were able to connect to the internet before the patch which is unfortunate and some would say unacceptable. But at the end of the day all blizz is guilty of is protecting their software.

They need to find a better solution. The current solution isn't working. They are preventing the
real customers from playing the game. Meanwhile, pirated copies are free of trouble.
This situation is ridiculous.
Reply Quote
It will be all right in the end. It is inevitable for bugs to exist in new software. Be thankful that Blizzard has a full staff of programmers that can implement and mostly debug the software on patch days in just 8-24 hours. It is just one day a week and time can be planned around...

As much as I hate bugs as the next guy, thank you Blizz for a program well done.

WoW Ödîn - Greymane
SC2 Odin - Zerg
Reply Quote
THE REASON YOU CANNOT PLAY OFFLINE IS BECAUSE OF A BUG IN THE AUTHENTICATION SOFTWARE. THIS WILL BE REMEDIED IN AN UPCOMING PATCH. THIS WAS NEVER BLIZZARD'S INTENT OR SOFTWARE DESIGN. PLEASE BE PATIENT.

For all those people who just don't seem to get the hint.
Reply Quote
I'm so tired of over zealous DRM, all it serves to do is put a wedge between paying customers and the game companies. I was very excited when I first heard SC2 was coming out then I read about about all the online requirements and was very disheartened. I wasn't going to purchase the game until I saw it on sale for ~$40 (At least then when the DRM gave me problems I could take solace in the fact I got the game at a discount), but a very nice friend purchased the game for me.

I dislike the lack of LAN but at least they were upfront about that. I dislike having to connect at all to play single player, but I can deal with a one time connection for authentication purposes. I can partly understand not giving achievements for offline play, plus they're not essential for playing.

What is just plain wrong is when you've authenticated and connected online, but still can't play offline.

What's even worse is when you have an internet connection, but can't connect because battle.net is down and can't even play offline despite the fact I'd been playing online the previous day. Simply unacceptable. I meet all the system requirements, why can't I play? I'm not upset because I can't play SC2, I'm upset because their Draconian DRM is preventing me from playing despite the fact I'm doing everything I'm supposed to.

I understand this is partly a bug, if so it needs to be top priority. But I feel the biggest problem is by design. Many people have been objecting to the always connected model for games that really shouldn't need it for a long time. And we always get the same lines from the game companies about how we're over-reacting. And yet the very things we warn about come to pass.
Reply Quote
@Farris:
I feel the same. I Hate Draconian DRMs.
Reply Quote
THE REASON YOU CANNOT PLAY OFFLINE IS BECAUSE OF A BUG IN THE AUTHENTICATION SOFTWARE. THIS WILL BE REMEDIED IN AN UPCOMING PATCH. THIS WAS NEVER BLIZZARD'S INTENT OR SOFTWARE DESIGN. PLEASE BE PATIENT.

For all those people who just don't seem to get the hint.

You don't expect this kind of serious bug from a 12 years of development game.
about "UPCOMING PATCH"... can you be more specific ? Patch 1.1 is here,
and there are no news about when this will be fixed.
Reply Quote
thats the idea, why doesnt everyone just rob em, lets force the world into dictatorship....i want to be nominated as leader of the world and the first thing i would do to change things is make all game 100% free as well as everything else, so we wont need piratese anymore, i mean there only really needs to be one true pirate as long as we can trust that pirates to do good for everyone and not just himself O.o is that possible? he he he "I'll take the case!"
Reply Quote
Ok, now the offline mode is working for me. Finally !
Reply Quote
So what can we do?

With all the problems and issues being discussed so far in this thread, what can we actually do to get Blizzard and Activision to change their ways? Is there any hope? Is it a lost cause posting on these forums? Do they even care? With so many of their consumers upset over the same problem, you'd think they would want to change things. To make them right. Where do we go from here? Are we supposed to sit around and wait for something that could never be delivered?
Reply Quote
I am having the same problem with this game. I want to play SC2 on the go offline and when I first got the game this was possible. Now Blizzard has changed the game on purpose so that we the fans and ultimatly the source of Blizzards succcess. Can no longer enjoy the game without being exposed to their online experience. I would like Blizzard to fix this game so that I can play the game I payed for, offline when ever I want! I have been a fan of Blizzard since Warcraft 1 and I feel like they are ###ing the fans over. I encourage all who are dissatisvied to post and let Blizzard know if they do not allow us to play the game I payed for offline. Then this will be last Blizzard produt I will ever pay for.
Reply Quote
@FerroRes
I Agree with you. I mean, I will not buy another blizzard game, not even Diablo III, if they don't change the way they are treating us, fans and customers. The lack of LAN gameplay was a huge letdown; but no offline play is unbelievable. The whole "30 days
of authorized offline gameplay" story is a draconic DRM thing.

@jephyb
We can make some noise about this problem on the internet. Send mail to the gaming press,
gather a fair amount of people with the same problem and write a good text exposing our needs and complaints. We can organize a virtual manifesto and post it here in the forum, in a new thread. If a lot of people sign it, I think they will answer us.
Reply Quote
I had this issue with the authorization required message until a couple of days ago. All I ended up having to do was use the "play as guest" mode one time when I was connected to the internet. Every time since that I have been disconnected from the internet, both the play as guest mode and the normal offline play modes have worked perfectly.
Reply Quote
I'm in the Navy and wanted to play Starcraft 2 while on deployment because there is nothing to do while stranded in the ocean for 6 months... damn I won't be able to I guess huh?
Reply Quote
@zero: Tell us how you got offline play to work so the rest of us can enjoy too. Tried to get it to work when i pulled the connection or ran the game after a reboot and it didn't work.
Reply Quote
I believe i have found a a way to solve this. First log in to battle.net with your account then hibernate your computer. Then start starcraft 2 back up again log in to guest account 1 play 1 game vs ai fully. Then once done exit game shut down turn back on and log back into your account with no internet. I have had the same problems that u guys have had. I was very upset and did that and i can play offline fully even restarted a few times to make sure test it and post if it works. It works for me for now idk how long itll last hopefully awile cause i dunt have internet alot and cant really play multyplayer at all .
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]