StarCraft® II

Offline Play

The box says internet connection required end of story.

It also says minimum 1 GB of ram but it doesn't say it needs 1 GB of ram at all times.

It says it on the box, if you bought the game and didn't read it then that's not blizzards fault.
Reply Quote
first i want to appologize to luther for mucking up your thread, i know i am not providing any help to your solution, but these people are starting to piss me off.

The box says internet connection required end of story.

It also says minimum 1 GB of ram but it doesn't say it needs 1 GB of ram at all times.

It says it on the box, if you bought the game and didn't read it then that's not blizzards fault.

@chezzey: are you %*!*ing dense?! have you read ANYTHING in this thread? or ANYTHING about starcraft 2 and internet requirements?

yes, the game says broadband is required. but blizzard has said you can play offline if you really want to, you have to jump through some hoops, but it can be done. furthermore, people IN THIS VERY THREAD have said they can play offline and are trying to help. you and anyone else quoting the box saying "broadband is required lol nub #!@" are just being arrogant jackasses.
Reply Quote
i'm stuck in a military zone and internet is hard to connect to your laptop... hence my frustration already. solve this issue please
Reply Quote
Hey expert on what it takes to be a modern human being.... some of us leave the nice cushy comforts of home. Some of us fly on planes, and some of us, like myself go to very un modern locales like Iraq and Afghanistan. To keep this country nice and cushy for ignorant people such as yourself. If you don't have a suggestion to help some one out who doesn't exist in a constant internet hot spot, then just avoid speaking at all. Because when you open your mouth you just show how ignorant you are.
Reply Quote
I'm curious if this "authorization" is on Blizzard's end by IP address.

When you returned to your friend's house, was the "Guest" feature working then?
Reply Quote
I wouldn't be suprised if a joint lawsuit is filed soon based on Rob Pardo's comments here http://kotaku.com/5344013/starcraft-ii-can-be-played-offline
Reply Quote
Hahaha! I love it!

Troubled by the Battle.net login screen that appears upon first launching StarCraft II? Does it mean that StarCraft II requires an internet connection? Not so, says Blizzard's Rob Pardo.
Edited by Jamie on 8/5/2010 8:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not sure if this has been resolved, but I am able to play with no internet connection. I bought the game yesterday, digital download, installed and played campaign for a few minutes, then exited the game and went about my day. Today I stumbled upon this post and just out of curiosity wanted to see if I would have the same problem. Nope!

Here's what I did:

1. Disable network adapter
2. Load SC2
3. Enter my bnet account name as usual
4. Click "connect" and receive a message stating that bnet may be unavailable or my internet connection may be down, etc.
5. Click "PLAY OFFLINE"
6. Play like a n0ob.
Reply Quote
I'm curious if this "authorization" is on Blizzard's end by IP address.

When you returned to your friend's house, was the "Guest" feature working then?

Totally agreed,
I do no why Blizzard is asking us to be ALLWAYS connected.
(My laptop is DELL 2010 model since just 3 months ago)
Reply Quote
Never buying Blizzard product again and will encourage others to not buy from them. Was fan. Now just feel ripped off.
Reply Quote
Or lets say Battle.net is down like it is right now. Now I can't play my game I paid $60 for. ANNOYED.

All you idiots who say "why dont you have internet" should think a little bit. What happens when their server goes down? Or they go under?
Reply Quote
Never buying Blizzard product again and will encourage others to not buy from them. Was fan. Now just feel ripped off.

Give it sometime, it's a brand new game, they've already official declared this offline mode is bugged and they are going to try to fix it.
Reply Quote
Yes I also have been very concerned with this offline mode crap. I hope Blizzard fixes this problem. I have been a blizzard fan Since the 90's but that is changing. I have no desire to play mulitplayer as I am on satellite and have a bad latency problems. Also, Since right now its required to connect to b.net to play in offline mode. I don't feel like I OWN the game I paid $60 for. I can get the offline mode to work but once you power your computer down it resets and bam the same thing. It wants to connect to the client to play. I will give blizzard some time to fix this problem... Think about it. If my computer is turned off and my satellite connection is down or battlenet is down I'm screwed. What kind of business is this? Another thing if they are worried about piracy all they have to do is lower their prices to make it affordable, more people will buy it hence they will make their money and a profit, making it less useful for pirates to mess with. If they don't resolve this issue I'll never buy from blizzard again and I will steer people away from blizzard products. Hell, I still have lots of blizzard games loaded ready to play. This is so disappointing. Pleas fix this issue.
Reply Quote
Same here, stuck in Iraq. The net drops on us a lot.

I'm on a PC/Laptop.

I installed and updated the game (before the most recent patch), and I created a character. Had to go somewhere so I turned off my laptop. When I got there, I turned it on and played offline.

But when I came back, and logged in, update to most recent patch, and I continued my offline campaign - online.

Now whenever I have to go somewhere - I can't play online because my "account" needs to be activated via Battlenet in order to play offline.

*ahem* Sorry to add more mess into your thread OP.
Reply Quote
Yea, Im house sitting for my cousin and i just got my brand new laptop yesterday. It plays starcraft better than my computer at home so i was so stoked, downloaded it, got it all ready from the wifi at my house then went down the road where my cousin lives and i cant play, at all.. no story mode no nothing, and i have beers and hostess cupcakes.
My night is ruined, thank you blizzard for making it impossible to play starcraft on a a laptop.

But even if i connect every 30 days i have to shut my laptop off and I'm in the same boat.

Fix this Blizzard, ive been a fan since i was playing Warcraft 3 when i was 9, all i played was the story mode because you guys make a great story line way better than halo and all the other B.S

But why put all this time and energy in making a story line with complex character's with complex relationships, wait years and years to put it out, spend so much time and money on it. and then make it impossible for people to play it.

Thats dumb.
Reply Quote
totally feel you bro, I got the same prob, Love the story, multi-play is ok whatever...

I got offline to work once, and thats it haven't been able to repeat the feat to date.

Come on Blizz, am i gonna have to wait 3 years before you decide to let me play without your omniscient eye watching me? making sure i really did buy the game...
Reply Quote
Please. Not everyone needs the damn internet.

And why in HELL do i need the internet to play Starcraft 2 or any game if i wanna
play by myself. BS i say.

Let's me just say there are ways around it - if you know where to look, start
with Google.

Look me at for example - i do NOT have a Cell Phone or cable TV.

Don't need'em Don't Miss them.

Reply Quote
Then what is the point of offline mode?

So you can play on a laptop while traveling or while your connection is down. Offline mode requires that you connect to the internet every 30 days.

I've played on-line almost every day for the past week. Traveling this morning with no internet connection it tells me I must first connect to battle.net and create a profile, it's not 30 days right now, it's everytime you turn your laptop off.

Off line mode is broken, regardless of your feelings on the reasons people want to play off line.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure if this has been resolved, but I am able to play with no internet connection. I bought the game yesterday, digital download, installed and played campaign for a few minutes, then exited the game and went about my day. Today I stumbled upon this post and just out of curiosity wanted to see if I would have the same problem. Nope!

Here's what I did:

1. Disable network adapter
2. Load SC2
3. Enter my bnet account name as usual
4. Click "connect" and receive a message stating that bnet may be unavailable or my internet connection may be down, etc.
5. Click "PLAY OFFLINE"
6. Play like a n0ob.

Step number is totally BS. ' Disable network adapter' what a croc.

So if u want to surf after playing SC2, u have to pull ur PC out and reconnect your ethernet cable. Or disable your ethernet connection in control panal -WOW - Nice going.

I'm not crazy about how they coded it - but Blizzard this this crap on purpose.

No zerg and Protoss campaign and now this - What a Milk Job.
Edited by HarneyEmpire on 8/9/2010 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So I'm not going to bash in either direction, just going to state the facts. I am stationed on a submarine, and when we pull into ports I like to take some down time and play some good old fashioned video games...after the sight seeing.

When I bought the game I thought to myself "It says internet required, but the forums said I can play single player offline."

I can wait till I get back home, but it would be amazing if there was a fix for this whole "Authorization required (again)" problem. I see a mac fix out there, but no windows fix so far.

The worst part is I tried it on a buddies laptop first, with the disconnecting the cord and signing in as guest...just didn't realize there was like a 30 minute time limit, I guess that's for power surges on your modem or something?

Sorry if I'm a sub-modern human being, but I just can't carry internet around me from state to state to country and so on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]