StarCraft® II

Offline Play

Step number is totally BS. ' Disable network adapter' what a croc.

So if u want to surf after playing SC2, u have to pull ur PC out and reconnect your ethernet cable. Or disable your ethernet connection in control panal -WOW - Nice going.

I'm not crazy about how they coded it - but Blizzard this this crap on purpose.

No zerg and Protoss campaign and now this - What a Milk Job.

I didn't post a guide on how to play offline, I posted the steps I took to determine whether or not I personally could play offline. Disabling my network adapter was an effective method of not being connected to the internet. Get it?

And why are you complaining about not having net access in a post about people wanting to play the game WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE INTERNET? I don't think you even know what you want.
Reply Quote
This is an annoying trend in games. I understand their desire to protect their IPs. I really do. But does it have to be this inconvenient? At the very least it should be a simple matter of sign in, authenticate, and then be good to go. Even people who don't have internet regularly can usually find a place with free wi-fi they could stop in to take care of it. Protect yourself from piracy but please please don't protect yourself from us.
Reply Quote
It is true that you can play offline, but ONLY after you have connected to confirm your copy or something. Once you power down or restart the computer, then restart the game, it needs you to reconnect. I am currently staying at a friend's place that has no Internet (at a Starbuck's now), and would love to be able to have the option to play offline AFTER I restart or power down the comp.
Reply Quote
Another frustrated user here. All I want to do is play OFFLINE! is that too much to ask??
Reply Quote
for sure. i tried to play offline and it wounld't work it said i had to authenticate my copy or some bull!##!. after i was already playing campaign mode for like 3 hours. my internet d/c'd and then it said i was in offline mode. i was like "sweet" so i clicked to play as guest and it told me i had to authenticate before i could play offline, what the @*@# is that? also i don't have a !##! ton of money to have internet. i was using a phone for internet tethering it. all i can afford is college, my cellphone and my car.

has anyone found a fix for this yet? i'm patiently waiting to play offline singleplayer. :/
Reply Quote
I cannot beleive the offline play is not working yet.....really ticks me off, i wanna play on my laptop when i dont have internet connection and I cant, but blizzard said i could, but i cant.....Blizzard wtf? Im not used to blizzard sucking hard, but there a re mutiple functions that are not ready and the game was launched, WHERE ARE MY CAHT CHANNELS?!?!?!?!? WHERE IS OFFLINE PLAY!?!?!?!?!?
Reply Quote
Well said "protect yourself from us"
Reply Quote
Hey guys, i think i have the fix you need. the reason i like offline play is because i dont have internet at my lake house, so before i leave, i get offline play activated by:

1. logging into the game
2. then logging out
3. turning off wifi
4. then proceed to try to connect, and when the error pops up click PLAY OFFLINE.

IT WORKS!! but only if you do the above.

NOW, the most important thing is that it will only work until you turn off your computer (completely), so just keep it in like hibernate mode or something.
it doesnt matter if you reboot SC2 50 times, as long as your computer was never turned off, you can still play by following step 4.

what really needs to be fixed is offline achievments, i mean at least they should give you the achievments you earned when you play online again.
Reply Quote
The inability to play offline is really inconvenient. I will not be able to play at the cottage where I have no internet.

Seems odd to make a single player game that requires the internet.

Blizzard please fix it!
Reply Quote
I tried to play starcraft today but I couldn't cause my satellite internet was down because of "ahem" rain...... I"m sure I would have been ok if I just hadn't rebooted my computer. When is the patch to fix this coming out? Even tho I spent $60 on this game this problem is pushing me towards the pirated version. Notice I said I was on a Satellite connection, multiplayer is out of the question.
Reply Quote
To all those who replied with "read the box" - you need to post elsewhere. This is a very legit and large problem that we would like to see fixed. And to have people post with underliying tones of "you're stupid.." is out of line. I too got the brushoff from blizzard when I reported this error to them. So has everyone else that has emailed tech support about this. So buddy, you read the box!
Reply Quote
if ur having problems and cant play offline, just pull your PLUG!? it works fine for me!!... or it DID.. until now im having gameplay problems.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Hey all,

We are looking at fixing some issues that can cause players to get an Unable to Authenticate Account error when attempting to play in Offline mode. This should be included in an upcoming patch.
Reply Quote
Thank You, AdamS. That statement right there was what most of us were looking for.
Reply Quote
Haha! Wow, I have never seen sooo many impatient people lol. No consideration or understanding for anybody but themselves. Anyone hear of the ID, ego, and super ego? This is pure ID in it's finest. "I paid $60 for a game that has to be constantly connected to the internet in the 21st century where we get internet and the ability to create hot spots from our cell phones!?" Honestly, I understand the people who are overseas and do not get internet connection. Alright, good argument :). BUT since I was even alright with the game requiring an active internet connection at all times because of the anti-piracy protection it would solve. No, it would not be a "permanent" solution and nothing ever is because everything can be bypassed. It is, however, a good step in the right direction. It would make it that much more harder for people to rip off blizzard as a company and the profit they lose which in turn has a snow balling affect. Less profit = less employees or less employee morale = less features or less games or less updates = more bugs or more issues = overall less customer satisfaction. I am not saying that I wouldn't use the offline feature because I was wanting to play this game at my girl friends house and teach her considering she doesn't have internet but was willing to live without offline mode in order to let blizzard reap the benefit of a better anti-piracy implementation. Now, that it is confirmed that there will be an offline mode I hope they still make it strict by adding a hardware-base GUID validation to the game itself. Key + hardware GUID = completely unique key based on system configuration = overall less piracy. I know understand and have more patience with them since I am a software developer for banks lol, but come on guys relax the game just came out and everyone is hounding to have everything working PERFECTLY. Hopefully, I can be the one who starts congratulating Blizzard for an outstanding product :)! You guys always develop AMAZING games. Great job and keep up the good work! I know and trust you will support this game until the end just like always :D!
Edited by DarkOwnage on 8/15/2010 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Haha! Wow, I have never seen sooo many impatient people lol. No consideration or understanding for anybody but themselves. Anyone hear of the ID, ego, and super ego? This is pure ID in it's finest. "I paid $60 for a game that has to be constantly connected to the internet in the 21st century where we get internet and the ability to create hot spots from our cell phones!?" Honestly, I understand the people who are overseas and do not get internet connection. Alright, good argument :). BUT since I was even alright with the game requiring an active internet connection at all times because of the anti-piracy protection it would solve. No, it would not be a "permanent" solution and nothing ever is because everything can be bypassed. It is, however, a good step in the right direction. It would make it that much more harder for people to rip off blizzard as a company and the profit they lose which in turn has a snow balling affect. Less profit = less employees or less employee morale = less features or less games or less updates = more bugs or more issues = overall less customer satisfaction. I am not saying that I wouldn't use the offline feature because I was wanting to play this game at my girl friends house and teach her considering she doesn't have internet but was willing to live without offline mode in order to let blizzard reap the benefit of a better anti-piracy implementation. Now, that it is confirmed that there will be an offline mode I hope they still make it strict by adding a hardware-base GUID validation to the game itself. Key + hardware GUID = completely unique key based on system configuration = overall less piracy. I know understand and have more patience with them since I am a software developer for banks lol, but come on guys relax the game just came out and everyone is hounding to have everything working PERFECTLY. Hopefully, I can be the one who starts congratulating Blizzard for an outstanding product :)! You guys always develop AMAZING games. Great job and keep up the good work! I know and trust you will support this game until the end just like always :D!

Odd, Blizzard has massive profits, yet their game is full of bugs(which they refuse to fix) and has in some cases, less features than the original SC 10 years ago. I know many "customers" who aren't satisfied, because they can't play the game. They continue to refuse to admit any fault in the bugs/poor programming of their game which shows that with all the profits in the world, you can't fix greed.

Making life difficult for paying customer serves none of the purposes you listed.
Reply Quote
Where is the proof of the accusations you listed about them fixing NONE of the bugs listed? Is your proof just because they can't release patches on a daily basis? And which features is this version lacking? I can list a TON of NEW features PLUS the old ones. Some of these include the World Editor now is capable of producing far more than just Starcraft maps, much more flexible and expandable, achievements, tournament laddar play, very much improved AI and campaign mode. So sorry if I fail to see these "lacking features" and the ability to release patches on the twitch of a nose. I can't think of one game that has ever been released without ANY bugs whats so ever, and considering the magnitude of this game I am surprised with only the bugs it has now.
Edited by DarkOwnage on 8/16/2010 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I swallowed a bug aye. You sure did!!
Ok there was a new patch, I let it update but it STILL did not fix the problem. Yes, The game will play once you log on to the server once. Once you do that you can unplug or disable the network and play no problem. The Problem IS when you reboot your computer and then try to play the game it requires you to log on to the server. This is unacceptable. Blizzard Still owns the game I paid $60 for. Yes, I could use hibernation mode but what if I need to troubleshoot something and had to turn off hibernation mode? Another problem is if my Satellite is down or blizzards serves are down I'll be SOL trying to play this game in so called OFFLINE MODE after my computer has been rebooted. This is so unacceptable. We should not have to go thru a bunch of hoops to play the single player campaign. I hope you are working on another patch for this...... as I am not please about this at all. The people who play multi player only probalby don't realize that they don't own the game. I could be out of line and blizzard is working on this problem but it they ARE requiring us to log on to play SINGLE PLAYER that is just plain ridiculous and I will steer people away from buying this game. Unless this it fixed I will (from now on with blizzard products) always choose the pirated version. I was a devoted blizzard fan until this crap. I always bought their product because they put out a quality product but this control crap has drawn the line with me. Hell, even steam will let you truly play offline.

Signed very dissapointed
Reply Quote
I found out that this patch doesn't work and I went thought a ton of steps just to try and play offline with no success. Tomorrow I have to move to my new place up in the country and the internet company I'm with hasn't even installed the lines yet....another 2 freaking weeks as my place is out in the middle of nowhere. I tried getting satellite, but a tech who dropped by my old place with a survey said there was no signal due to the mountains. So I'm screwed because blizzard dropped the ball.
Reply Quote
Cant play offline even with the new patch. cant even play as guest because of authorization. wth
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]