StarCraft® II

Offline Play Authorization Required.

(Locked)

I tether my MacBook Pro to my iPhone. But my game will not recognize any wifi connection. I have to go to a friends house to plug his modem into my laptop to just log-in! I can't even play offline though sine I need to log-in just to play off-line. Pretty pissed...at least the log-in screen is nice to look at.

Blizz!!! Why!?!?! :(

Wah! I can't even use the Map Editor without it asking me to authenticate my copy of the game! Please Blizz change this!!!!
Edited by Arinya on 8/2/2010 6:09 AM PDT
So there is no way to play the game with out an internet connection? I am in America and though there is internet available many places, it isn't available everywhere. And it certainly isn't available everywhere for free. I guess Blizzard thinks we are all made of money. I know there is a big draw to playing online with friends and in competitions etc etc, but there are those of us who believe that playing solo OFFLINE is fun as well. I guess we are just SOL. Fix the problem or do not expect me to purchase anything with this brand name again.
i think every body is freaking out over this flaw
yes we want to play online
yes this is an issue that needs to be worked out
yes this a major over sight for such a massive game
yes Blizzard is was capable of fixing it before it went on sale

But guess what, they didnt
and sounds like most of us have played the game,
no body is complaining about how much the game sucks
just that they cant play it more
lol

its a flaw, something that should have been seen,
something that is easily fixed, but never the less, a FLAW

I am sure Blizzard will resolve this issue, but guess what?
The game has only been out like less than two weeks
Chill out Every one :P
Edited by Gluttony on 8/2/2010 11:55 PM PDT
I received this from Blizzard support regarding offline play:
I wrote: It's clearly an option to play in offline mode. Why can't I play in offline mode as I did purchase and register this game online?

Greetings,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding StarCraft II.

Regrettably the game requires everyone to authenticate each time they start the game.

At this time, StarCraft II requires an active internet connection to play. This is stated in the System Requirements on the retail box, as well as our online System Requirements. Without an active internet connection, you will not be able to log in to Battle.net to authenticate your copy of StarCraft II.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Sidney S.
Game Master Laneroth
Customer Service
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support
Wow...nice! But hold on. Even though it does state on the box that internet is require. It does not say that it included to play OFFLINE. You know OFFLINE kinda means well...no internet. Yeah that's not confusing or misleading.

So I guess we are out of luck if you don't have any internet too bad. I really do hope there is a back lash and Blizzard changes this because I have internet but through wifi and the game will not let me play or even authenticate my game to play!
I have been playing this on both a PC and Mac while online. Only the Mac seems to not allow for offline mode. I was forced to play offline almost all weekend on my PC laptop, but cannot get it to work on the Mac.
As I said in another thread, it is possible to play offline on the mac. I'm just not sure how it's done/what I have/did differently from everyone that's been having problems. Believe me, I wish I did because if I could help you guys out I would love to.

Ever since last Thursday I've been playing solely in offline mode. I keep my airport turned off, start the game, put in my email address, get a notification that it can't connect to the internet. I click the button that says "Play Offline" and I'm good to go (I've completed several missions offline with only one crash - and I'm not sure if that was an offline mode problem or something else, but when I restarted, it picked up right where I'd left off).

:-\
I have the same issue, thought it was a bug until I read that reply from Blizzard. What's the point of an offline mode if it can't be used OFFLINE? Might as well not have that feature at all and avoid all this confusion.
Support Forum Agent
While I understand and apologize for the frustration you are all feeling, it is part of my job to moderate these forums, and foul language, no matter how justified you may feel in using it, will not be tolerated. Masked or otherwise, you will receive a ban for swearing in here. I hope this is clear.

Now, as for the actual issue you're reporting:

The Campaign single-player mode will allow offline play only if the computer has been connected and has authenticated its version on the internet first by logging into the game, past the character selection screen.

You must authenticate your game once every 30 days. This means you must connect to the internet and Battle.net once a month.

The “Play Offline” option is only shown when you attempt to log into the game but cannot reach Battle.net (i.e the servers are offline or you do not have an active internet connection).
Edited by S4d1k on 8/3/2010 3:29 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
We have resolved this issue and this will be included in the next major patch.

The problem is that for some computers the hostname changes when you change your connection or get disconnected.

If you have any idea why this would happen, please tell us. That way, we might be able to provide a workaround.
Edited by S4d1k on 8/3/2010 3:35 PM PDT
The problem is that for some computers the hostname changes when you change your connection or get disconnected.

This indeed is the case on my Mac (OS X 10.6.4). When I'm connected to the Internet, my hostname is "zuck", but when offline it's "zuck.local". You can verify this by typing "hostname" from Terminal. I followed the advice in http://kedeligdata.blogspot.com/2009/07/making-your-os-x-hostname-stick.html to make the OS X hostname stay constant. Basically edit /etc/hostname and add HOSTNAME=your_computer_name (you'll need to sudo first).

This works on my Mac and I can now play offline just fine.
So, the workaround would be for the authentication routine to check for:

<hostname> authenticated OR <hostname>.local

if that's the case.
We have resolved this issue and this will be included in the next major patch.

Woot! Finally! Well I don't know if this will help with my reason for needing offline to work. I have internet but through my phone. I could play in beta tethering my phone to my laptop but now I can't even get the game to see a connection. Went to a friends house to use his cable internet and the same thing. I was connect using wifi but the game would say I was offline. I had to plug into his modem to get the game to work.

Oh by the way I had my firewall already turned off and another friend came too with his laptop and he had the same exact issue. He could not play over wifi.
Edited by Arinya on 8/3/2010 5:50 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
So, the workaround would be for the authentication routine to check for:

<hostname> authenticated OR <hostname>.local

if that's the case.

No, I meant a workaround before we release the patch. We already have a fix.
We just can't reproduce this behavior internally. Our hostnames always have the .local
Blizzard Employee

This indeed is the case on my Mac (OS X 10.6.4). When I'm connected to the Internet, my hostname is "zuck", but when offline it's "zuck.local". You can verify this by typing "hostname" from Terminal. I followed the advice in http://kedeligdata.blogspot.com/2009/07/making-your-os-x-hostname-stick.html to make the OS X hostname stay constant. Basically edit /etc/hostname and add HOSTNAME=your_computer_name (you'll need to sudo first).

This works on my Mac and I can now play offline just fine.

This should work. Thanks Zuck!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]