StarCraft® II

Dual-core or Quad-core

Hey guys, I'm looking into upgrading to one of the new iMac refreshes. Can anyone tell me which would run SC2 better?

3.60GHz Intel Core i5
2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

I've read that CPU clock speed tends to be better for gaming (I could be wrong) but I'm not familiar with the advantages of the Core i7 versus the Core i5. As I understand it, multi-core systems are better for applications built to take advantage of multiple cores; I'm not sure how well SC2 does this. Thanks in advance!

P.S. - Ultra-level graphics are my goal, so I'd also like to know if this isn't attainable with any of the new iMac offerings.
Reply Quote
the Imac isn't a real option if you want to run ultra level settings your going to need a Mac Pro. Its built for stuff like Gaming and creating 3-D Models with programs like Maya.
Reply Quote
dont buy a mac pro wait till next month they're going to have a huge update then.
Reply Quote
my roomate is using quad core i7 and it handles like a champ under ultra level, then again he isnt using a mac sorry if this doesn't help
Reply Quote
my roomate is using quad core i7 and it handles like a champ under ultra level, then again he isnt using a mac sorry if this doesn't help

Yeah, I'm seeing all these posts on the forums about Mac and PC performance not even being close to the same level with the same components.

I was really hoping to just brute-force my way past these optimization shortcomings, but the Mac Pros only seem worth it if you can afford to get the options past the base model.

I can afford the top iMac model for what it offers (a bargain compared to the Mac Pro), but I just need to know if that will be enough - though it sounds like that is not the case.

Still out of curiosity, though, can anyone give me a general rule-of-thumb for CPU clock speed versus number of cores for better gaming?
Edited by Crunchy on 7/28/2010 10:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
the 2.93ghz quad core is your best option cause even though sc2 only uses two cores the upgrade to quad core gives you the upgraded ati radeon 5750 1gb gpu which will let you run things between ultra/high. If you're going to for sure get a 27" mind as well get the quad core cause by next year when 8 core is the norm your duo core will be outdated.
Reply Quote
actually i was just looking on apple. the 3.6ghz 27" lets you upgrade to the radeon 5750 1gb video card for another $150 so you can go with that instead if you want to save money.
Reply Quote

I'm using a quad core i7 with an ATI 4870 512 MB on a Mac. Handles ultra like a champ. So much of this game is CPU dependent that people forget that high throughput into/out of the CPU matters as much as the vid card.

Also, as far as I know, the opengl uses 2 cores on its own, the game uses another, so that really helps the video load for games on a quadcore over the dual-cores.

Edited by Kesh on 8/3/2010 8:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]