Remake Dark Deeds?

If you remember Dark Deeds from Warcraft 3, it was my fav map of all time. I have ZERO skills with the map editor but I really really really really Really want to see a remake of this map in Starcraft 2 and I am willing to learn the darn program if I have to to see it done, but before I spend hundreds of hours on this I wanted to know if anyone else was already working on this project.
I agree. Dark Deeds was a fun, interesting, and dynamic game which only problem was that if the evil person left, the game was pointless.
Agree, great game
I'd love to make a new Dark Deeds, but I have not had much luck conceptualizing exactly how it would look. I mean, Starcraft II doesn't have the many medieval models that Warcraft III had. What would the werewolf look like? Who would be the witch doctor? How about you post some ideas here, and I'll consider putting it together.
I'd love to see some great maps like this in SC2. War3 really had some great pieces of work which were also popular, which I hope to see that combo more often in SC2!
@ TrenchaunT: You don't need to remake Dark Deeds as a medieval game. You can sort of "redux" the game as something like, say, colonists vs aliens that can transform into humans.

There could be a variety of bad guys. Zerg, corrupt protoss, hybrid, etc.
Dark deeds was an amazing game, if I didn't have so much on my plate I'd remake it myself, but hopefully someone else does :)
I've considered making it something like colonists vs aliens, but I just think it wouldn't have as much appeal without the right kind of 'feeling.' For example, Dark Deeds was not perfectly balanced, unlike a more competitive ladder game (e.g. vanilla SC2). Some villains were way overpowered. But people kept playing it because it appealed to the imagination, as an adventure of rustic living combined with mythological monsters. It gave the right balance of feeling between building a farm life from scratch and protecting yourself against monsters of the night.

I just need to conceptualize the imaginative feeling of a different game. "Stranded on Krydon" is perhaps a good place to start: it has an interesting pathos of surviving on an alien planet.
yeah we could remake it with a scifi theme, like the evil ones could be something like Changeling instead of Werewolf? or an Alien Parasite, or a Rogue Android(that disguises itself as human) maybe a crazed psychic(good Witchdoctor there) there is a way to make it work. and while Dark Deeds wasnt perfectly balanced, it didnt need to be, there was a way to defeat every evil one, if anything id say the Evil Ones were at the disadvantage inless they played their cards right.
Heh, those are some good ideas. Especially the rogue android. I think I will do it. I've been thinking about it now and I'll just drop the tug of war map I was making (there's enough of those already, right?) and start on this. Feel free to keep feeding me ideas.

Tentatively, here's what I'm thinking:

• Werewolf/changeling = zergling or predator or animal of some sort, minions will be broodlings or other animal of some sort

• Grim reaper = dark templar with scythe - minions dark templar with sword

• Witch doctor = Egon Stetman - minions are infested colonists

• Parasite = roach that burrows into humans and explodes out of its human disguise in a burst of blood and guts

The funny thing about me now pledging to remake the map is that I actually hacked Dark Deeds in WC3. I went through the score encryption code and wrote it all backwards in Perl in order to generate a fake score for myself. Took me 2 days and a good amount of Mountain Dew.
You could always tie the 'Evil' into the Dark Voice from the Campaign.

Infected Terran Egon Stetman,
Fallen Protoss - Protoss controlled by the Dark Voice like that one map.
Dominion Aligned Terran spy.

Set it at some sort of 'Out of the Way' colony or something, where people have just landed to escape the recent combat. and are rebels against the dominion.

Edit: I would not personally make it a clone. Make it similar, but don't be so focused on 'Werewolf = This, WD = that'. There's a lot of interesting ways to go in Sc2 that don't require exact copies.
Edited by Ramenth on 1/28/2011 10:40 AM PST
Sounds good. Yeah, I probably won't make it conform all that much to the original. But I will use the name of the original so that people join it.

Good news: after a good day of working on the project I've managed to start on the terrain and map settings, make SCVs able to cut down trees for resources (that element I wanted to keep, so people weren't forced to make bases in specific spots), and set up a day/night lighting cycle. I also set up the validators that will make it possible for evil units to become more powerful during night or take damage during day.
Another update: I've created and decorated the terrain. It is very reminiscent of the original, and bedecked with trees, which serve as a resource. I've also designed colonist workers who, with complete animations, cut down trees. I made it so that the first building is free and dropped from the sky on command, and subsequent buildings using nonstandard (doodad) models are properly constructed with animation. I set up a system whereby a building (the biosphere) automatically generates sheep, and the player gets credited with money periodically based on the number of sheep--all using only the data editor. Plus there's a wife.

My goal is to build up most of the human tech tree, then make a single villain and start testing.
Another update: I've created and decorated the terrain. It is very reminiscent of the original, and bedecked with trees, which serve as a resource. I've also designed colonist workers who, with complete animations, cut down trees. I made it so that the first building is free and dropped from the sky on command, and subsequent buildings using nonstandard (doodad) models are properly constructed with animation. I set up a system whereby a building (the biosphere) automatically generates sheep, and the player gets credited with money periodically based on the number of sheep--all using only the data editor. Plus there's a wife.

My goal is to build up most of the human tech tree, then make a single villain and start testing.

Marry me.
Nice, Tren. If you'd like a tester, consider hitting me up. Just click my name and it'll show you my number.
Hey if u need help shoot me a chat my # 961
I was an avid wc3 player and now an avid sc2 player. Dark deeds was fun as heck.
I will def. look for you when I start testing, GOWfenderboi and Soga.

Sorry I haven't had time to post lately. I've made major progress and am very close to releasing an early beta. The human tech tree is mostly done, the Werewolf is done, and the Werewolf's minions are almost done. I'm working on triggers right now, but most of the work is done by the Data Editor, even things that were done with triggers in the WC3 version, so it won't take long before I have enough triggering to test balance.
Dark Deeds is nearly ready to release a beta. The Werewolf and his minions are done, most of the human tech tree is done (minus crops, items, and heros). The neutral patrols are in working condition (a neutral hero swoops in to save the day when you're under attack, as in the old game). The catch is that I'm never quite sure when the right time to release it is--there's always another feature I'd like to add. Like right now you can join the forces of evil when you die, but I haven't yet made the mechanism for joining another living player.

Anyway, if I held a test tomorrow (Monday March 7) at 8 PM Eastern, would any of you be able to join?
Edited by TrenchaunT on 3/6/2011 4:41 PM PST
Wonder if you could import WoW models like peasants or towns folks for the units... otherwise import War3 ones :D
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]