StarCraft® II

Heavy Serenity/Firefly influence?

I got sent to an error page on the boards and the message was taken exactly from "I swollowed a bug" and "You might experience some slight turbulence, and then.. explode."

Both from Serenity.

And yes I agree there are several parts that the music sounds almost exactly like the twangy intro to Firefly.
Reply Quote
Starcraft was influenced by alot of Sci-fi. Firefly, Aliens, Starship Troopers, Dune, Warhammer 40k. Every Sci-fi, every good Sci-fI , takes alot of influence out of its own genre, starcraft is no different.
Reply Quote
Starcraft was influenced by alot of Sci-fi. .......Warhammer 40k.....

If I remember right Starcraft WAS Warhammer 40k before, then some alterations were made to become what we now know.

Terran - Space Marines
Protoss - Eldar
Zerg - Tyranids

Blizz was hired to do a Warhammer Fantasy game, thus Warcraft, then after that proved sucessful. Blizz decided to do a space version that just happened to not only look very similar to 40K in design (a key point) but they introduced Aliens that looked like what where the unique Tyranids.

Of course, you can't forget the credits from SC1 that wraps it all up is Blizz threw in the comment about not suing them at the end of Starcraft.

Side note - I believe the guy responsible for a lot of the work for Games Workshop Tyranids, is now at Blizzard and is involved in SC2.
Reply Quote
Warhammer 40k is not an "original" invention. The sooner you admit that the sooner people will stop calling you a fanboy. Everyone rips of somebody.
Reply Quote
I always thought Starship Troopers was the biggest influence in the game.

Terran = Terran
Arachnids = Zerg
Skinnies = Protoss. In visuals, not abilities.

There's different types of units in the book. The bugs have workers, warriors, brains, queens.

Terrans have different armor types; scout, command, and marauder. They have different types of starships.

In SC2, mercenaries come down in drop pods.
Reply Quote
There were several times during the campaign when the SCII soundtrack made me think of Firefly/Serenity. While the original starcraft had southern space cowboy concepts, SC II seemed to draw a much closer parallel, IMO. Good catch OP.
Reply Quote
The only influence I saw was the "MULE" from Serenity.

What about the music directly stolen from the Firefly soundtrack during Raynor's fight with Tychus?

Terran = Terran
Arachnids = Zerg

There's different types of units in the book. The bugs have workers, warriors, brains, queens.

Terrans have different armor types; scout, command, and marauder. They have different types of starships.

Two words: neural parasite.

I am pretty sure Tychus yells RAGnarok and Roll when hes in Odin
-Ragnarok Online

Learn your damn mythology, scrub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnarok
Edited by Matuk on 8/16/2010 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
NO. Hahaha. No.

Nothing is inspired by that bombshell

The terran were purposely given a colonial style. This is the style you are recognizing. They've had this all the time. The wild west was part of the colonial age. All of the terran on the outskirts have always reminded me of rough and tough westerner types. The ones coming from the main cities strike me more as imperialistic. Too me it's a reflection of the American revolution.

What does firefly reflect exactly? There are no hidden themes because it's a shallow buffy clone, this time in space.
Reply Quote
The only influence I saw was the "MULE" from Serenity.

What about the music directly stolen from the Firefly soundtrack during Raynor's fight with Tychus?

Terran = Terran
Arachnids = Zerg

Two words: neural parasite.

I am pretty sure Tychus yells RAGnarok and Roll when hes in Odin
-Ragnarok Online

Learn your damn mythology, scrub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnarok

You seem slightly irritated.

NO. Hahaha. No.

The terran were purposely given a colonial style. This is the style you are recognizing. They've had this all the time. The wild west was part of the colonial age. All of the terran on the outskirts have always reminded me of rough and tough westerner types. The ones coming from the main cities strike me more as imperialistic. Too me it's a reflection of the American revolution.

What does firefly reflect exactly? There are no hidden themes because it's a shallow buffy clone, this time in space
Prepare for endless rage on this comment.

Never watched Firefly but apparently It's popular.

I thought Serenity was pretty lame to be honest.
Edited by SgtCrispy on 8/16/2010 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
-
Edited by flowwolf on 8/16/2010 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Terran - Space Marines
Protoss - Eldar
Zerg - Tyranids

Terrans are nothing like Space marines. No genetic engineering for extra organs, a ribcage fused into a massive armor plate, or the idea that they're all cloned and bread from a race of superhuman generals. The only thing they have in common are their robot exosuits.

As for SC originally intended as being WH40K... this seems as astounding as when I was told the Playstation was supposed to be the Ultra64 until Sony pulled it and made the PSX. I

Reply Quote
NO. Hahaha. No.

What does firefly reflect exactly? There are no hidden themes because it's a shallow buffy clone, this time in space.

First off, Firefly can't be a bombshell if it's insanely popular, which it is.

Second, SC1 was remarkably less western than this. Hell, just look at the bar fight between Tychus and Raynor. That's all the indication you need that they've stolen ideas from Firefly.
Edited by Matuk on 8/16/2010 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
NO. Hahaha. No.

First off, Firefly can't be a bombshell if it's insanely popular, which it is.

Second, SC1 was remarkably less western than this. Hell, just look at the bar fight between Tychus and Raynor. That's all the indication you need that they've stolen ideas from Firefly.

Starcraft was always cowboys in space. I only think it was less Western due to their inability to tell the story in cinematics as much as they can now.

So saying they stole is a little far fetched.
Reply Quote
Destroying the Loki in the first mission with Odin nets you an achievement (I think its called Asgard no more or denied or something)
-Stargate SG-1

Asgard is a bit older than Stargate kid.
Reply Quote
Startrek TOS had barfights. Serenity ripped off Startrek TOS. [sarcasm note added for those who can't catch it *edit]

All Serenity did was ruin online petitions, after studios took a risk when the fans said they wanted a movie, but it bombed in boxoffice as it surged on the torrents. No one wanted to pay to see it. Only people who are suckers for Joss love it. You'll never see another petition success in this space because the risk they took with serenity failed hard.

Terrans always had a colonial settlement feel about them. Just as the wild west was the outskirts of the east coast colonies we get the same feeling in the out rim of terran space. What's not western about Jim Raynor being a Marshal around these parts? Vultures are an iconic bird of Western America, and he road in one. He was a cowbow. On a steel horse iron ride. He was wanted. Wanted. Dead or Alive. This is just a single sliver of the original western feel.

Edited by flowwolf on 8/16/2010 2:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote

If I remember right Starcraft WAS Warhammer 40k before, then some alterations were made to become what we now know.

Terran - Space Marines
Protoss - Eldar
Zerg - Tyranids

Blizz was hired to do a Warhammer Fantasy game, thus Warcraft, then after that proved sucessful. Blizz decided to do a space version that just happened to not only look very similar to 40K in design (a key point) but they introduced Aliens that looked like what where the unique Tyranids.

Of course, you can't forget the credits from SC1 that wraps it all up is Blizz threw in the comment about not suing them at the end of Starcraft.

Side note - I believe the guy responsible for a lot of the work for Games Workshop Tyranids, is now at Blizzard and is involved in SC2.

NO.

NONONONONONO.

This is NOT true. Not in the slightest. Warcraft was NEVER supposed to be Warhammer. The only similarities is that Andy Chambers worked for Games Workshop for a while before going to Blizzard. That is a myth everyone seems to take as fact but nobody can back up.

Much the same, Starcraft is more of an alien and predator thing than it is Warhammer. Especially since the Eldar and Protoss's similarities end at the fact they have psychic powers. Really, they're much more similar to the Predator, arm blades, similar warrior codes, ninja-like stealth (Dark Templar). Hell they both even look the same.

And the Zerg were more like the bugs from Starship Troopers than Tyranids. And both stole from Aliens.

I'm a HUGE Warhammer 40k nut, but really Starcraft and Warhammer 40k moreso stole from mutual sources. No doubt they've both had influence on one another (40k pioneered the modern idea of Space Marines from the one seen in Starship Troopers, and you don't think Dawn of War wasn't a cash in to ride off Starcraft's popularity?)
Edited by Subsourian on 8/16/2010 4:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyways the Protoss are more like the Tau then the Eldar, and they come out after starcraft.
Reply Quote

NO.

NONONONONONO.

This is NOT true. Not in the slightest. Warcraft was NEVER supposed to be Warhammer. The only similarities is that Andy Chambers worked for Games Workshop for a while before going to Blizzard. That is a myth everyone seems to take as fact but nobody can back up.

Much the same, Starcraft is more of an alien and predator thing than it is Warhammer. Especially since the Eldar and Protoss's similarities end at the fact they have psychic powers. Really, they're much more similar to the Predator, arm blades, similar warrior codes, ninja-like stealth (Dark Templar). Hell they both even look the same.

And the Zerg were more like the bugs from Starship Troopers than Tyranids. And both stole from Aliens.

I'm a HUGE Warhammer 40k nut, but really Starcraft and Warhammer 40k moreso stole from mutual sources. No doubt they've both had influence on one another (40k pioneered the modern idea of Space Marines from the one seen in Starship Troopers, and you don't think Dawn of War wasn't a cash in to ride off Starcraft's popularity?)

Then why the comment in the credits?

I see the Aliens influence, no so much with Predator. Obviously, there is a lot of Sci-Fi references in Starcraft.

Zerg I believe is still Tyranid. Come on, the whole consume DNA thing with the Genesplicers? The HIVE? Which is controlled by? Surprise, an Overmind esque being, which surprise, uses other creature to keep lesser ones in line *coughoverlord*. Not to mention the only way to really get rid of them is the exterminate the planet. Hmm, where have I heard that before? Oh right, the Protoss. Or they keep finding hidden Tyranid clusters, which is mentioned in the SC2 Campaign about the Zerg. Also, the Tyranids were described in 1992, 6 years before Starcraft.

Yes, Starship Troopers was something like 1979, but the Zerg are more Tyranid than the Bugs, though there is some borrowing from there as well.

Compare the looks of the creatures. I'd do more, but I'm lazy.
Trygon - Hydralisk
Carnifex - Ultralisk

Don't get me wrong, I love both Universes and played Warhammer and WH40K back when it was tabletop only. To be honest, I like the differences in play style of Dawn of War compared to Starcraft (never got big into Warcraft). I am just saying, the similarities are too coincidental to be "just an influence".
Reply Quote
Odin
Thor
Asgard
Loki
Viking
Ragnarok
All references to the norse culture and mythology, they did alot of this in WoW too, blizz seems to like the norse.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]