StarCraft® II

Heart of the Swarm?(spoilers)

I remember reading way back that Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void all take place at the same time, just from different perspectives. More recently, I've read that Heart of the Swarm picks up right where Wings of Liberty ends. Which is it? I'm hoping it is the latter, but having completed Wings of Liberty, I don't understand how Heart of the Swarm can pick up right after.
Edited by Raltar on 7/29/2010 2:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
more than likely the latter is true.

it would be hard to do the whole "omg! if we kill Kerrigan, we will lose" foreshadowing if it's all happening in the same time.

also, the only thing worth of note that Kerrigan was doing in WoL, was looking for the artifacts and it would be kinda weird for the player to steal the artifacts that he was guarding when he was playing terran...
Reply Quote
My major question is whom will the protagonist of Heart of the Swarm?

Further I'm curious what the Heart of the Swarm equivalent to The Hyperion will be.

Also this thread should possibly be spoiler-ed out. Very hard to talk about without revealing stuff.
Reply Quote
There. Talk all you want about spoilers. They already said Kerrigan will be the protagonist in Heart of the Swarm...but now that she's been cleansed, I don't understand how that will be possible. Unless she isn't fully clean and still retains zerg powers. This is what gives me pause as to the original statement by Blizzard(though, I might not be remembering it correctly) that Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void take place during Wings of Liberty seems to make more sense.
Reply Quote
After you beat the game it tells you that if you want to know what happens to Kerrigan continue the storyline with the zerg xpac.

It's pretty obvious she isn't just human. Her head is still covered with zerg tendril looking things instead of hair, though she lost most of the zerg traits and apparently regained her human state of mind.

Overall I'm still unclear about some things that I really hope they fill in on in the xpac. I get what they were saying, but it doesn't make sense. It breaks the illusion of logic, or crosses the line of being believable in the story to being ridiculous and unbelievable, at least to me. Can't think of a better way to say it.

The Zelnaga created the hybrids? Uh, why? We know the Zelnaga created the Protoss and the Zerg, based on the storyline...so why would they create a hybrid when the plan is to just destroy the universe. What, exactly, are the Zelnaga anyways? Why does the hybrid controlling the zerg wipe out the protoss before the universe ends? I mean, isn't that a little redundant? "ooo, I'm going to kill you all, and then the universe is going to end a second later! But only if I kill you all!" What was controlling the Overmind that drove it to relentlessly attack the protoss? A Zelnaga? The courage of the Overmind? So the Overmind intentionally put itself into a position where it would die, so that the force controlling it couldn't control it anymore, but somehow whatever was mentally controlling the Overmind couldn't just mentally control the rest of the zerg and do the exact same thing anyways? So the Overmind created Kerrigan as the Queen of Blades so that she could control the zerg after it died, knowing that she was going to be reverted by the Zel Naga artifact which destroys all the zerg on a planet and purged the zerg infestation from her, but left her partially zerg? I really hope the story is clarified to actually make sense in the xpac.

I sound like I don't like the story, which I don't mean to come off that way. I guess I just expected a more solid story from Blizzard. There were things I very much didn't like in the overarching plot, but the main story about Raynor, his guilt over Kerrigan's "death", and his struggle against Mengsk was awesome.
Reply Quote
After you beat the game it tells you that if you want to know what happens to Kerrigan continue the storyline with the zerg xpac.

It's pretty obvious she isn't just human. Her head is still covered with zerg tendril looking things instead of hair, though she lost most of the zerg traits and apparently regained her human state of mind.

Overall I'm still unclear about some things that I really hope they fill in on in the xpac. I get what they were saying, but it doesn't make sense. It breaks the illusion of logic, or crosses the line of being believable in the story to being ridiculous and unbelievable, at least to me. Can't think of a better way to say it.

The Zelnaga created the hybrids? Uh, why? We know the Zelnaga created the Protoss and the Zerg, based on the storyline...so why would they create a hybrid when the plan is to just destroy the universe. What, exactly, are the Zelnaga anyways? Why does the hybrid controlling the zerg wipe out the protoss before the universe ends? I mean, isn't that a little redundant? "ooo, I'm going to kill you all, and then the universe is going to end a second later! But only if I kill you all!" What was controlling the Overmind that drove it to relentlessly attack the protoss? A Zelnaga? The courage of the Overmind? So the Overmind intentionally put itself into a position where it would die, so that the force controlling it couldn't control it anymore, but somehow whatever was mentally controlling the Overmind couldn't just mentally control the rest of the zerg and do the exact same thing anyways? So the Overmind created Kerrigan as the Queen of Blades so that she could control the zerg after it died, knowing that she was going to be reverted by the Zel Naga artifact which destroys all the zerg on a planet and purged the zerg infestation from her, but left her partially zerg? I really hope the story is clarified to actually make sense in the xpac.

I sound like I don't like the story, which I don't mean to come off that way. I guess I just expected a more solid story from Blizzard. There were things I very much didn't like in the overarching plot, but the main story about Raynor, his guilt over Kerrigan's "death", and his struggle against Mengsk was awesome.

The Xel'Naga are dead, they were destroyed by the Zerg

Xel'Naga created Zerg and Protoss. Protoss first, they were the "First borns"

SOMETHING created the "hyrids" Zerg/Protoss mixes. We know for sure Samir Duran had a hand in it as you see this in SC1 canon. People have theorized the hybrids are meant as bodies for the Xel'Naga's return but this is all we know.

SOMETHING most likely the Xel'Naga programmed the Overmind to move towards to the destruction of the Protoss race, WHY? we don't know yet. The Overmind wasn't under the control of the Xel'Naga this was just his sole purpose as far as we know. And the Overmind controlled the Swarm.

The Overmind after assimilating so many races clearly held some sort of higher conciousness, through his all knowing powers he was aware that he was being forced to destroy the Protoss for no reason, and therefore ushering in the end of the Terran/Protoss/Zerg. So the Overmind, having concern for HIS race the Zerg made Kerrigan as some sort of failsafe.. we don't know WHY this is. Probably because without her the Hybrids eventually will take over the Zerg race and use them as a weapon to destroy the universe, Kerrigan having control would somehow circumvent this.

Kerrigan is the key to stopping the hybrids, but she is now some sort of half human/half Zerg.. we don't know much about what happened there.

Mengsk is still in power, and the universe is at a standstill in the "Heart of the Swarm" expansion Kerrigan will go along and try to take control of various sects of the Swarm again.

We don't know why she needs to do this, assuming she lost some/all of her control over them after being artifacted, or maybe the Hybrids have assumed control who knows.
Reply Quote
Too many unknowns.

We don't know for sure that the Zerg killed all the Xel'naga. It'd kinda be dumb to throw your whole race outside a single planet to be wiped out like that- a race that's more or less supposed to be veritable gods wouldn't fall for it.

The big key is the Protoss campaign- remember that the Overmind picked Kerrigan because she was a way for him to ultimately guarantee the Zerg's survival as a race that isn't enslaved by the hybrids. She can control the zerg without actually being zerg.
Reply Quote
The Zelnaga created the hybrids? Uh, why? We know the Zelnaga created the Protoss and the Zerg, based on the storyline...so why would they create a hybrid when the plan is to just destroy the universe.

Well, maybe. It seems apparent that Dark Voice created the hybrids (and thus was the higher power Samir Duran referred to in the first game), but it isn't certain whether it is a Xel Naga...

It is much more likely that it isn't, given the similarities here:
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Voice_in_the_Darkness_(entity)

Why does the hybrid controlling the zerg wipe out the protoss before the universe ends? I mean, isn't that a little redundant? "ooo, I'm going to kill you all, and then the universe is going to end a second later! But only if I kill you all!"

Well, if I recall correctly, the universe doesn't end per se, but all life in the Koprulu sector is extinguished. One thing I don't like about the "destroy the world/galaxy/universe" plot line is that it's usually a question of motive. Where do you go from there?

However, given Dark Voice's nature, it's not too out of character. There's a Lovecraftian spark there that I'm sure we'll see expand.

What was controlling the Overmind that drove it to relentlessly attack the protoss? A Zelnaga? The courage of the Overmind?

Dark Voice (?).

So the Overmind intentionally put itself into a position where it would die, so that the force controlling it couldn't control it anymore, but somehow whatever was mentally controlling the Overmind couldn't just mentally control the rest of the zerg and do the exact same thing anyways?

Overmind = Zerg. The Overmind is the unified hive mind of the Zerg, and controlling the cloud is essential to controlling the rain. I suppose it's possible that the Voice could contol the Zerg to a point, but it seems like the Voice has limited powers considering the fact that he could very well just control everything otherwise.

Again, the story seems intentionally ambiguous here. That's fine, because it seems like it would make sense to clarify in Heart of the Swarm.

So the Overmind created Kerrigan as the Queen of Blades so that she could control the zerg after it died, knowing that she was going to be reverted by the Zel Naga artifact which destroys all the zerg on a planet and purged the zerg infestation from her, but left her partially zerg? I really hope the story is clarified to actually make sense in the xpac.

I don't think the Overmind knew that that was going to happen. If I recall correctly, it can't see into the future. Again, you have to keep in mind that this is one part of a larger story, so they don't have to put in any more exposition upfront than they currently have (and they put it quite a bit).
Reply Quote
From what I gathered from the dialogue in one of the missions, the "Dark Voice" is a Xel'Naga.

Somewhere in the game it said something along the lines of "And they shall all perish and only the dark one will remain". So I'm assuming that one Xel'Naga survived, but he had been corrupted (or already was before the race became extinct) and he wants to end all life.
Reply Quote
I don't think the Overmind knew that that was going to happen. If I recall correctly, it can't see into the future. Again, you have to keep in mind that this is one part of a larger story, so they don't have to put in any more exposition upfront than they currently have (and they put it quite a bit).

the Overmind can see into the future. that's what "Blaze of Glory" was. the Overmind's vision of the future that Zeratul obtained when he touched it's tendrils on Aiur
Reply Quote
Lots of responses so bear with me =)

MinD:

The Xel'Naga may be dead, but Zeratul tells Raynor about a prophecy of their return. As someone who has not delved into the lore in the world aside from the games I have a hard time buying into a world where the protoss worship the Xel'Naga as gods, yet the zerg wiped them out. The voice in the darkness thing is interesting and adds more to it, however very little of this has been in the actual games thus far. They may be hinting at it (the protoss serving the hybrid, very old stuff from SC1 that was in the background) but they're doing a poor job of presenting the concept to people who haven't read accessory lore/novel stuff.

I don't believe the Xel'Naga programed the Overmind to destroy the protoss race. The cinematics make it very clear, particularly the section regarding "the courage of the Overmind". Originally the zerg were not the way they are now (or were even in SC1). The Overmind was also dominated, forced, to assault the protoss. I can make a lot of assumptions that are a stretch, supported by almost nothing in either game that makes sense. My point regarding a lot of this is that if you take just the lore in the games, disregard everything else, the story is confusing and seemingly illogical.

A lot of the rest of that post makes assumptions or uses lore from outside the game lore to explain or connect events happening in game so that they make sense.

Acosnil:

I have a hard time buying it as well. A race of godlike beings that created both the protoss and the zerg gets wiped out by one of their creations. The introduction of another element, this Dark Voice, the polar opposite of the Zel'Naga makes more sense, though very little of this has actually been shown in the game. From the wiki article linked, it has, however, been shown in abundance elsewhere. If the Xel'Naga created the protoss and the zerg, one to be the pinnacle of psionic/spirituality that the protoss are, the other the pinnacle of biological evolution, instinct, etc....then after the Dark Voice warps and twists the zerg and sets it loose upon the Zel'Naga and afterwards the protoss as well...that would make more sense. But so little of this story has come out in the games that it's confusing. We're seeing things that make the story look like it has gaping holes in it as opposed to the fluid way mysteries are traditionally told.
Reply Quote
Stupid post length limit =p

Nightshade:

We saw one system be destroyed but we know, based on cinematics, that we're not talking about one system. Zeratul himself says "the fate of creation" is in Kerrigan's hands. Zeratul also tells us that the Xelnaga are returning, though he's not certain if it's to save or destroy.

Based on the story, Zeratul went to the corpse of the Overmind specifically to gather its memories and knowledge of the prophecy so that he could understand it. He knew that the Overmind played an important part, and that its actions would impact what was to come and he wanted to understand why/what it knew. They mistook the actions of the Overmind on Auir as overconfidence, and he learns that the Overmind was happy to be free of control (by death).

All I'm saying is there's a lot attributed to the Dark Voice from sources other than the game, that make the story seem broken at points because there really hasn't been any explicit content regarding the Dark Voice in the game. Could the Dark Voice have made the hybrid? Sure. Could the Dark Voice be the driving factor behind the Hybrid and the destruction of creation? Sure. Could the Dark Voice be used to explain why at different times in the game a hybrid is leading protoss and then zerg forces? Sure. However, as someone who's not a lore junky and reading Starcraft novels and other material, without coming to the forums the inclusion of the Dark Voice in the overarching story is so ambiguous that it, to me, makes certain parts of the plot seem extremely broken. The pieces don't (didn't) fit in any way that made sense.

Even if I include the information I read on the wiki regarding the Dark Voice, there are still plot points that do not seem to fit in at all. Examples are things like, why use the zerg to wipe out the protoss if the star in that system was going to be extinguished (? put out, destroyed, who knows, the cinematic just had the star go black with very little explanation of events in a very anticlimactic manner)? And the plot alluded to the entirety of creation being destroyed. It's not like any race in the game has the ability to stop someone/thing that has the ability to simply snuff out a star(or all of creation) at a whim. If it wasn't at a whim, they very easily could have excluded the part after the protoss were defeated and the hybrid made the statement about how through their ignorance they killed the only person that could provide them salvation. The whole star going out thing changed the entire scene for me from being the death of the protoss race to ridiculous star snuffing out power of the hybrid. The way the cinematic flowed, that's what it appeared to me (as someone who hasn't read anything and only vaguely remembered the plot of SC1). Granted, since I've read a variety of lore stuff elsewhere after beating the game I realize that's obviously not what they intended to portray. That's just the way it came off to me at the time.
Reply Quote

the Overmind can see into the future. that's what "Blaze of Glory" was. the Overmind's vision of the future that Zeratul obtained when he touched it's tendrils on Aiur

I'm fairly certain that it was Tassadar that gave Zeratul the vision... from what I remember it was he that perceived the future.
Reply Quote
I'm fairly certain that it was Tassadar that gave Zeratul the vision... from what I remember it was he that perceived the future.

Actually, it appeared as if the spirit/essence of Tassadar was tied to the Overmind and communicated with Zeratul, directing him to the correct memory, which appeared to be the Overminds apocalyptic vision.

The Protoss equivalent of Navi.

That being said, Tassadar's essence was a bit of a surprise, but that should likely go towards spoilers for the Void expansion.
Reply Quote
I posted this in the other HotS thread and it seems to make the most sense to me.

Honestly the whole thing sounds like a lead up to the HotS expansion. Think about it, you play as Kerrigan and whole gist of the game is that you upgrade Kerrigan's ability to control the Zerg and her abilities in general. So it wouldn't make much sense to start the game out as the Queen of Blades who already controls the entirety of the Zerg and is pretty much tip top in terms of being badass.

So she's turned human again, loses the majority of her power, while still retaining some, and so is sent back to the bottom of the barrel for the player to climb back out of in the next game.

Plus a game where you play as the old Queen of Blades would have been a bit boring seeing is A. it'd be difficult to upgrade her for a whole campaign, B. it'd be damn difficult to form any believable alliances.

Zergy Kerrigan was hermit, Human Queen of Blades allows them to set her back in the Terran dominian especially with the prince's help of "reforming" her and Jim. PR wise anyway.
Reply Quote
Sounds like halo, where the flood killed the whatchamacallits. hopefully it differs greatly from that. Heh.
Reply Quote
Where the @*%* are the Xelnaga, or the other *%!#? @*%* u Blizzard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]