StarCraft® II

Inconsistent Graphical Settings

I am experiencing little to no gains in performance when lowering graphical settings. I started playing the game at Ultra quality and the game runs pretty well for the most part. However, some single player missions result in the framerate dropping from 60 FPS to 30 FPS or lower when I look at certain parts of the map (at the lava flow in one map, at a zerg vomit/infestation act in another map).

I like to tweak the settings so that i get a constant 60 FPS. When doing this, however, I noticed that lowering the settings gives very marginal gains to framerate and in some cases *worse* framerate. An example of worse framerate is that I'd get 60 FPS in a typical scene of my base and some units. This is on Ultra settings with all graphics options at the highest possible value. When I choose the following:

Shaders: High
Post-Processing: Medium (automatically changed when Shaders is switched from Ultra to High)

My framerate will drop from 60 FPS to 24 FPS on average. This is the one instance where my performance *drops* when I *lower* the graphical settings.

Another peculiar example is during one of my replays which contains high-action moments. I'd fast-forward the replay until I get into a 4v4 battle with tons of units, bases, and special FX. The framerate during this scene at 1920x1200 is about 47 FPS average. This is OK. So, in order to get the framerate bumped-up to a 60 FPS average (so there are no erratic swings in rough framerate), I lowered the resolution to 1680x1050. To my surprise, the framerate was the same! So I chose an even lower 16:10 resolution which was 1280x800, and the framerate was STILL the same!!

Confused as to how the performance seems to never improve proportionally with changes in graphical settings, I just set the overall Graphics Quality to Low. Now, there was an improvement, but only about 10-20 FPS in the least intense/empty areas of the map!

What's the deal? I can't seem to win with graphical settings. An obvious reply would be "your computer is obviously bottlenecking elsewhere like your CPU". I would respond with my experiences with one of the many other games I own. I've always been able to change the settings to witness improving performance. This is within games like Crysis, Metro 2033, Dirt 2 (even in 3-montior Eyefinity modes), and Bad Company 2. Every single one of these games yields a constant 60 FPS at 1920x1200 (so obviously the framerate is higher than 60 FPS if vsync is turned off, and I've "cleared" my monitor's refresh rate threshold).
Reply Quote
Here is a separate post of my system specs:

BTW, my Core i7 920 is clocked at 3.2 Ghz.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/29/2010, 10:49:09
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/24/10 14:13:08 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6136MB RAM
Page File: 3625MB used, 8642MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x689C)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 716 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2009 MB
Shared Memory: 2803 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: SyncMaster T240,SyncMaster Magic T240(Digital)
Monitor Model: SyncMaster
Monitor Id: SAM0422
Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]