In an attempt to cut down on the amount of the same questions, i've decided to create an FAQ that should answer the most commonly asked questions... If you have anything to add, change, fix, whatever, please do not hesitate to point it out.
- Where is the GalaxyEditor located on PC? GE can be found in the root of your directory. By default, the directory is:
- Do I have to authenticate to use it? Yes! You need to authenticate the Editor once every time a new patch is released, other than that, you should not need to authenticate.
- How can I play maps i've previously downloaded? (Including the official maps) Your downloaded maps can be found two different ways. The easiest of the two, is to go to File > Open > Battle.net Tab within GalaxyEdit. Otherwise, you need to search your Battle.net Cache for "*.s2ma" and then convert the .s2ma file to .SC2Map. However, the .s2ma filenames are just hashes of their true name, so good luck trying to find the map you need!
- Help! I crashed! What do I do? When the Editor crashes, enter a small description about what you are doing and then click "Send." This will always help the QA department figure out what happened and why the game crashed. It's also recommended that you enable Automatic Saving (and possibly backup saving!) every x amount of minutes. You can do this by going to File > Preferences and selecting the Documents item. Check in "Automatically Save Documents" and then set a time internal. You can also "Automatically Backup Documents when Saving" via the checkbox underneath.
- The editor looks way too complex and confusing for me, I want StarEdit/WorldEdit!!! Just relax! The only reason why the editor is so complex is because we have access to everything the game can touch. We can make any kinds of changes, literally everything is in our hands. Take a minute to look around, check out all the different Layers and Editors within GE and just sit back. The largest tutorial repository can be found on SC2Mapster:
- How do I optimize my map? You can do this by going to File > Preferences and selecting the Documents item, and click "Optimize Saving for: Smaller Files" radiobox.
- Will we be getting SC1 and War3 Units and Models? How about scrapped SC2 Units? The only units we will have access to are the ones that can be found in the single-player portion of the game.
- Is there any way to import my custom model into SC2? Blizzard will be releasing their own set of tools within GE called StarTools. However, this won't be out until past release. For now, you can use NiNToxicated's tool in Max to do this:
- How do I access units from Singleplayer and the Campaign? These units will not be accessible by default, you have to add the proper dependencies. Go to File > Dependencies > Add Standard > Check in "Liberty (Campaign)" and "Liberty Story (Campaign)."
- Are there any third party editors? The only 3rd party editor that I have seen thus far is MilkyWayEdit, created by the SC2Mapster Community. The main goal of MWE is to create functionality GE is lacking and make things easier than GE does in certain regards. The editor will not replace GE itself, but rather be used alongside it. They are expecting a public release in early-mid August.
C:\Program Files\Starcraft II\ -- Default for 32-bit Windows OS
C:\Program Files (x86)\Starcraft II\ -- Default for 64-bit Windows OS
%USERPROFILE%/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Starcraft II/ -- Default for Mac OS
If it's not there, go to the \Support\ folder.
Those of you who still wish to play maps without GE, can launch them via MapCraft:
The Battle.net cache can be found at:
C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II\Maps\ -- Win Vista/7
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II\Maps\ -- Win XP
/Users/Shared/Blizzard/StarCraft II/Maps/ -- Mac OS
The folder containing Maps created by GE can be found:
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\StarCraft II\Maps -- Windows
%USERPROFILE%/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Starcraft II/Maps -- Mac OS
Your Editor Logs can be found at:
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\StarCraft II\Editor Logs -- Windows
%USERPROFILE%/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Starcraft II/Editor Logs -- Mac OS
In addition, you can edit your Editor's settings through Editor Variables.txt:
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\StarCraft II\Editor Variables.txt
%USERPROFILE%/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Starcraft II/Editor Variables.txt -- Mac OS
--If the Editor crashes on startup, try the following:
Delete the "Recent Directory" registry key:
\\\Registry\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II Editor\Recent Files\Recent Directory - Open and Save Documents
If that's not enough, delete the entire "Recent Files" registry folder:
\\\Registry\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II Editor\Recent Files\
And if that still doesn't fix it, delete the entire StarCraft II Editor registry folder: (This will reset all your editor preferences to default though.)
\\\Registry\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II Edior\
Another very avid user, OneTwo, has been posting lots of video tutorials. You can see them on his YouTube channel:
Alternatively, you can join a lot of Map Devs who are willing to chat/answer questions on IRC, chat.freenode.net:6667 #sc2mapster.
And stante's plugin for Blender:
There is also Sparsile, a tool that injects itself into GE and adds some missing functionality directly into the Editor itself. It's currently in Alpha testing, if you'd like to test it, leave a comment on the project page to be added.
- Editor Not Installed Sounds like you've moved the Editor out of the proper place. Make sure "StarCraft II Editor.exe" is in the root of your directory and "SC2Editor.exe" is in the \Support\ folder.
- Unable to publish with no errors The problem is that GE thinks that you're using profanities in your Publishing info. Go to Map > Map Info and check that entire tab for anything that may set off the profanity filter. If you want, just delete all the text (except for Map name!) and then publish. That way, you can check which word it is, one by one.
- Document dependency does not specify a battle.net file. You need to publish your mod first, then load it in the dependencies.
- Cannot publish/play map as public. There's currently a bug where even if you publicly publish a map, it will not allow other people to join, but right now there's a workaround that will make your maps joinable.
- Go to Map > Game Variants
- Add New Variant
- Go to the "Game Type" tab
- Select "Category" and change it to "Other" (you might need to give it a name)
- Go to "Mode" and select "Other" (name it if necessary)
- When Publishing the map in the File -> Publish dialog, make sure the map is set to "Unlocked" for this to work.
- Invalid Variant Definition. Go to Map > Game Variants and click "Generate Defaults."
- Document dependency header file is not available: Teams ## (Mod). Go to Map > Team Placement (Advanced) and remove any teams there. You may also need to go to Team Placement (Basic) and hit "Reset to Defaults."
- Corrupt headers. Make sure the following is set properly:
- Premade game > yes
- Rules > (none)
- Teams > (none)
- Controller > open or none
- Teams Premade > anything other than none
- Player Team (from 2 teams to ffa) > (none)
- Set Team [Premade what you chose in step 5] > what you want your lobby layout to look like *if you want 6v1 then just make premade to 6v6 and set player 1 to 6 on team 1 and player 7 on team 2
- Default Values Are Not Valid First, make sure you set at least one Player slot to either Neutral or Hostile. If that does not fix it, go to "Map > Player Properties > Color". Then, select "(any)" as the color for every player. If you want to set or lock a player's color, do it in the game variant: "Map > Game Variant > Colors".
- Lost connection to gateway <filepath>\LargeImage.dds The large Minimap preview image which appears in the lobby and on the map selection screen is what was causing it. By going to Map -> Map Info and selecting Hidden on the Preview Image - Small and Preview Image - Large cells allows the map to be uploaded normally and without error.
- Error: Map Not Found This merely means that the author deleted the map from their account. Most often, this is because they released an updated version. Try checking for the map lower on the game list.
- Units, Behaviors, Items, etc are deleted after adding dependencies! Go back to File > Dependencies... The map needs to load these dependencies in a particular order. Make sure yours is set to: Liberty Story (Campaign), Liberty (Campaign), Liberty (Mod), Liberty Multi (Mod).
This should make your maps joinable. Also make sure in the game lobby to change "Category" to whatever game variant you made. Now you should be able to open it to public.
*you DONT need to have anyone on team 2 if you just want 1 big team