GalaxyEditor FAQ

(Sticky / Locked)

@Abereg: Are you saving the map? Does Lighting work in other maps?

@oTo: The game reads maps off of Battle.net, not your local computer. You'll need to publish those maps in order to play them on Battle.net. Yes, you'll run out of space. There's currently a 10mb limit and/or 5 maps total.
No, you need to Publish the map through GE to play it on Battle.net.

File > Publish...
@oTo: The game reads maps off of Battle.net, not your local computer. You'll need to publish those maps in order to play them on Battle.net. Yes, you'll run out of space. There's currently a 10mb limit and/or 5 maps total.

Ok i published the map and its now on the multiplayer part of the game. But it doesn't appear on single player " VS AI ". The map has all the melee requirements and on top of that i can see maps i already deleted from my published maps on the " vs AI " and not the one i have currently published. Why is that ? T_T

Im just and only trying to be able to select my map on " VS AI " on single player.
Edited by oTo on 8/2/2010 7:20 AM PDT
Figured out my problem. Seems like deleting game variants fixes most publishing problems.
Figured out my problem. Seems like deleting game variants fixes most publishing problems.

Oops, I must've read past your post... Sorry about that, Mike. How'd you go about fixing it? Redoing the Variants? Or certain ones?
Someone actually asked this on the Beta forums, which I can't show you because they were wiped... But Blizzard basically said, they won't be making anything easier, just offering better ways to maneuver through the Data, which I believe has already been done.

Your best bet is to use some tutorials, =|. Otherwise, MilkyWayEdit (SC2Mapster's Editor) has a lot of easier ways to do Data editing and Galaxy Scripting. We'll have a public release out pretty soon.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll just have to get used to it. Too bad it's not alittle more user friendly.
Edited by Fred on 8/2/2010 2:21 PM PDT
Will the following issues ever be addressed by Blizzard?

1. The popularity-based custom map system which prevents players from finding unknown/new maps. I have waited for hours trying to get someone to join my game so I could actually play my melee map with someone who isn't on my friends list, but it was all for nothing.

2. Will we ever be able to download a map from a website, and play it without going through b.net publishing? You know like the good old days of b.net 1.0, when it didn't suck.
Edited by Kryptic on 8/2/2010 10:33 PM PDT
1. The popularity-based custom map system which prevents players from finding unknown/new maps. I have waited for hours trying to get someone to join my game so I could actually play my melee map with someone who isn't on my friends list, but it was all for nothing.

Blizzard knows that the popularity system is flawed, last I heard, they were looking for other ways to display the game list that will fit their view of Battle.net and please the community.

2. Will we ever be able to download a map from a website, and play it without going through b.net publishing? You know like the good old days of b.net 1.0, when it didn't suck.

Well... There's a way to do it currently, but it's not very plausible. Download the map from a website, like SC2Mapster.com, then replace a map in your cache with it. A simple way to do this is to use MapCraft and let MC swap the map for you. Now, launch the game and host "Extinction", which is the default map to be swapped... anyone you play with will need to swap the map as well though.
http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/mapcraft/
so i'm running on osx 10.6.4 and editor wont work =[
it says to check with the developer how do i get it to work?
so i'm running on osx 10.6.4 and editor wont work =
it says to check with the developer how do i get it to work?

I am running it just fine on 10.6.4. I successfully converted a legacy map with it. I wonder if it is a permissions problem. Did you do the digital download version or the store-bought version?
Edited by Meatleg on 8/3/2010 3:30 AM PDT
I made a map, it was basically a map where you and your friends all got a hero unit, and you were supposed to go in and kill these three enemy bases (terran, protoss, and zerg). I got it working, everything was fine, I tried to publish it, it failed due to "Validation_working_set_instance_fail" error. So...after trying and failing to figure out what caused it, I started over, and I REMADE my map from scratch!...AGAIN it did it...I have no clue...I have done everything I can think of, or has been suggested with the stoopid game variants, and even changed the dependencies...nothing works!
Edited by CyberDonkey on 8/3/2010 1:10 PM PDT
Okay I am making a Tower Defense, like a thousand other people. However I have ran into a big problem, I am not able to order the created units to move to specified regions. Now I have look at other people's TDs and I see that they have used UNIT-Issue order, Triggering Unit Move targeting to (Region) (after existing orders). Now I have tried to use it on my map, however it does not give the option. The only thing it allows me to use is Hold Position. Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
I made a map, it was basically a map where you and your friends all got a hero unit, and you were supposed to go in and kill these three enemy bases (terran, protoss, and zerg). I got it working, everything was fine, I tried to publish it, it failed due to "Validation_working_set_instance_fail" error. So...after trying and failing to figure out what caused it, I started over, and I REMADE my map from scratch!...AGAIN it did it...I have no clue...I have done everything I can think of, or has been suggested with the stoopid game variants, and even changed the dependencies...nothing works!

Have you tried deleting all variants?

Okay I am making a Tower Defense, like a thousand other people. However I have ran into a big problem, I am not able to order the created units to move to specified regions. Now I have look at other people's TDs and I see that they have used UNIT-Issue order, Triggering Unit Move targeting to (Region) (after existing orders). Now I have tried to use it on my map, however it does not give the option. The only thing it allows me to use is Hold Position. Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

That's odd... Check your dependencies, are the Liberty and Liberty Multi there?
this might be a dumb question but is there anyway to just play a custom map you made in single player or does everything in this game have to be on the battle net
In the editor you can test it by hitting the furthest button on the right on the main tool bar.

@Sixen: I just checked the dependencies and I rest them to include Liberty, Liberty Multi and Liberty Campaign. Then I checked if I can add the Issue Order code line. I am still not able to access the MOVE command.

EDIT: I have tried making a Melee Map, a Campaing Map, and Custom and none of them allow me to use Issue Order- Move.
Edited by Faedother on 8/4/2010 8:06 PM PDT
I've run into one problem that is not in the FAQ maybe some of you folks can help with. With importing custom sounds, i run into a problem where it does not let me save at all, i can test the map, with the map working with said sounds, but when i try to save it gives a error message "Unable to move existing archive (the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process): *map name*"

Only had GE running when this happened, and only happened after importing sounds, inability to save until i quit out of GE without saving and start where i last saved.
Faed, were you in the Beta, by any chance?
I have the actual version of the game, and i cant find the map editor. Where is it? And how do i access the directory and stuff...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]