StarCraft® II

Low FPS since Patch 1.2

Edited by Fearce on 1/22/2011 5:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
My FPS seems like they have IMPROVED. O_o But the problem still the stupid random stuttering. At the beggining of the game, it freazes for a second and my FPS drops to 0, then back up, and during some battles it freezes for a second and drops to 0 then back up then back down to 0 and up.
Reply Quote
I using desktop, amd 955, 4GB RAM, Win7 64bit, GTX460 1GB, same like you all.
Sometime drop to 5 or 0 then quickly get back to 40-50 or 30 depend on situation. Then later it may go down to 5 or 0 then get back again.
1 thing I found out is when I watch replay in this patch 1.2, if I set 8x fast speed, the fps is 7, while in earlier version's replay, I set 8x fast speed still got about 15 fps.
Anyone try check replay and post the result so that we can get some info about it?
I use HWMonitor to check, Max temp for CPU is about 50++ celsius and GPU is about 53 Celsius.
CPU max load is about 33% for starcraft 2. Ram usage about 1.3GB
Edited by DIEHARD on 1/21/2011 1:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
This issue has been happening to people, myself included, since the very first small set of patches and seems to be getting more widespread as more patches occur.

One thing that helped me with the fps drops was to make sure I removed from my variables.txt any frameratecap lines. Oddly enough when capped at 60, the game would randomly drop either on unit, or building warp-in / completion down to 2-5 fps for a sec before hopping back up, causing the hiccup effect to occur. By removing that I was able to run at about 110-150fps on Low, or 90-110 on Medium shaders with a bunch of other options on Low (my PC's default setting is Extreme + Ultra everything, yea right, not since launch is that an option).

Now this didn't stop the random drops in FPS (seriously I do NOT think this game is coded worth a damn for ATI cards), but what it did do, is make it so that I had a buffer. I'd still experience completely random fps drops, but when it'd drop 60 frames, it would no longer mean I was down to 0-5, now it would be 90 fps - 60 fps, so it'd drop briefly to 30 and back up, alleviating the hiccup affect, but still occasionally stuttering.

They had a data gathering thread about this issue and basically shut it down saying they didn't know what the problem was because the systems reporting these issues were too varied. Which to me just says "the problem is bigger than you thought" not "oh it's a few random people" but hey, Actiblizion ain't Blizzard (or Blizzard North, where all the GOOD came from), and now we find ourselves in this boat.

I'd be down for buying a new PC but I am alarmed at the amount of very high end systems that are seeing this issue. I would love for Blizzard to prove me wrong and optimize their game better, but with todays "once you buy the game, especially digitally, you can't return it haha suckers" mentality of the publishers rushing games out, I don't see this trend improving.

Best of luck.
Reply Quote
I don't blame you for feeling that way.
Reply Quote
So far I've tried:

Reintalling the game
Repair tool
Updating drivers
Closing all backround programs
Messing around with sound settings (Read somewhere sound could be option :/)
Adding cap on variable.txt, not sure how that would help anyways.

I've also installed SC2 on my sisters laptop which is by far a much lower spec'd laptop. SC2 was able to run on medium settings with about 40+ FPS... High was 30... ?
Edited by Fearce on 1/22/2011 4:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
Same here. Before the patch I had NO LAGG EVER at max graphics. Now it doesn't matter if I'm on medium, I still get so much lagg it's unplayable.
Reply Quote
Also, chiming in that I'm pretty sure I'm having the same problem as you guys--a drastic drop in FPS (no matter what the graphics settings are) post patch 1.2. Before patch 1.2, had no FPS problems at all--just finished playing a 4v4 now, and was actually getting 1 FPS(!!!).

My specs:
- Athlon II X4 630
- 4GB RAM
- Radeon HD 5770
- Drivers: Catalyst 10.12

Seems like a bunch of you who are having this problem have HD 5xxx series cards--wonder if that card (and its drivers?) in particular isn't playing well with the latest patch?
Edited by Spiff on 2/3/2011 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Also, have any of you tried calling Blizzard technical support or creating an online support ticket (assuming that's an option--haven't investigated it yet)?

Oh, and, have any of you tried reinstalling? I'm thinking of maybe trying that... Has fixed other random problems that have cropped up in other games before...
Reply Quote
I have the same problem. Game runs fine, then after 30 mins or so of gaming, framerates drop to the 10s periodically.

Have any of you used hardware monitor to check the GPU temperature?
I did and SC2 was forcing the GPU up to 100C (Even after 1 hour of Dead Space 2 it stays at 84C).

I'm betting someone did something very bad in the new patch.

Reply Quote
So, I updated by audio drivers (from my motherboard manufacturer's website) and I noticed that there was a new VGA driver update (version 11.1 is out as of 1/26/11, for those who have ATI graphics cards), and I think doing one of these things might have solved my issue!

I just replayed the 4v4 where I was getting 1 fps before, and I got around 30 fps, except for big battles, where it dropped to 15 fps--not great, but it actually didn't look bad at all (looked normal to me, at least). So, assuming that playing a replay is just like playing an actually game, for how it affects fps, hopefully I'm all good...

Has anyone else tried updating every driver they can off of their motherboard's website and then also updating the VGA driver?
Reply Quote
Has anyone else tried updating every driver they can off of their motherboard's website and then also updating the VGA driver?

That actually did it!! Props to Spiff for mentioning the VGA driver. I have an ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard and it has ati hybrid crossfire chipset... unfortunately, drivers for that don't come with the catalyst drivers from the ati website. So if you already updated your ati drivers... you didn't update everything. You have to go to the ASUS website and download the VGA driver... you would think it was useless because it doesn't explicitly say "ATI" all over it... but it's absolutely necessary... It has an update for the ATI Northbridge Driver (you'll notice the installer says that everything else is already up-to-date EXCEPT for the northbridge)... once you update that... restart you comp and try playing a 4v4 (to really test your graphics)... you'll hopefully notice your game is back to normal.

I went from horrible a 15, 10, even 1 fps in 4v4 matches to 40fps and 20fps in major firefights at 1920x1200 on a custom high/medium setting. This solution is sort of specific to AMD ATI users... but I'm assuming updating all drivers... even those obscure ones you think you don't need will do the trick. Hope this helps!

My modest rig:

AMD Phenom 9600 x4
4GB Ram
Radeon HD 4870 512mb
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
02/08/2011 7:23 PMPosted by LBG

That actually did it!! Props to Spiff for mentioning the VGA driver. I have an ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard and it has ati hybrid crossfire chipset... unfortunately, drivers for that don't come with the catalyst drivers from the ati website. So if you already updated your ati drivers... you didn't update everything. You have to go to the ASUS website and download the VGA driver... you would think it was useless because it doesn't explicitly say "ATI" all over it... but it's absolutely necessary... It has an update for the ATI Northbridge Driver (you'll notice the installer says that everything else is already up-to-date EXCEPT for the northbridge)... once you update that... restart you comp and try playing a 4v4 (to really test your graphics)... you'll hopefully notice your game is back to normal.

I went from horrible a 15, 10, even 1 fps in 4v4 matches to 40fps and 20fps in major firefights at 1920x1200 on a custom high/medium setting. This solution is sort of specific to AMD ATI users... but I'm assuming updating all drivers... even those obscure ones you think you don't need will do the trick. Hope this helps!

My modest rig:

AMD Phenom 9600 x4
4GB Ram
Radeon HD 4870 512mb

Thanks for posting this!
Reply Quote
This problem isn't exclusive to ATI users. I have an MSI (not ASUS) mobo with all of its drivers up-to-date and:

Intel Quad-Core 2.83GHz/core
NVidia GTX 470 1280MB (I know the video card doesn't mean much in SC2, but something that beastly must make some difference)
4GB of RAM

I've been researching for hours and this is completely the problem I have. I can't suck it up and play a little while I wait for a fix, either, because I get 0-2 FPS in-game and 12-15 FPS in menus.

This same computer runs games like Empire Total War with zero problems, and I get 180 FPS on Left 4 Dead 2's max settings.

I really wish I could return SC2 until this problem is fixed, because I feel like I payed $60 for a demo. I got to play a little bit on my laptop before that all went to @%!% and I had to wait a few months to get this new rig, and yay I still can't f**king play!!
Edited by Cadeyrn on 2/12/2011 10:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
Bumpity bump?
Reply Quote
This problem isn't exclusive to ATI users. I have an MSI (not ASUS) mobo with all of its drivers up-to-date and:

Intel Quad-Core 2.83GHz/core
NVidia GTX 470 1280MB (I know the video card doesn't mean much in SC2, but something that beastly must make some difference)
4GB of RAM

I've been researching for hours and this is completely the problem I have. I can't suck it up and play a little while I wait for a fix, either, because I get 0-2 FPS in-game and 12-15 FPS in menus.

This same computer runs games like Empire Total War with zero problems, and I get 180 FPS on Left 4 Dead 2's max settings.

I really wish I could return SC2 until this problem is fixed, because I feel like I payed $60 for a demo. I got to play a little bit on my laptop before that all went to @%!% and I had to wait a few months to get this new rig, and yay I still can't f**king play!!

we have almost the same system, except i have a 2.5 GHz intel core 2 quad. before patch 1.2 i had a Geforce 9600GT. i set all the settings to medium and got 40+fps. when patch i.2 came out and auto-f**king-matically updated, i was getting 4fps ( 8fps on low settings). i sense reinstalled windows 7 with 64-bit, and got a GTX 470. slight improvement. i was on the last mission in the story mode and now i can't play it because i get 10fps on low settings, even with the resolution turned down. on VS. A.I. mode i can play with maxed out settings and get 30+fps.

what i want everyone to do is download and install MSI Afterburnner. its and overclocking tool but it will show you your GPU usage, clock speeds, fan speeds, etc. it wont do anything but let you monitor your video card unless you tell it to do otherwise. when you do that run Afterburnner and leave it up as you play SC2 for a few minutes. after a few minutes of test worthy game play have passed, minimize the game and look at Afterburner. What does the GPU usage say? mine only says about 30% on that last mission.Come back and post your GPU usage.

Afterburner is a great tool for setting an intelligent fan speed profile.
Reply Quote
Well, it downloaded a patch even though the patch list on the autopatcher hasn't changed from having 1.2.0 at the top. The FPS has improved drastically, and I can even get something extremely smooth when I put the shaders on low. I'll post numbers in a minute.

I really want awesome lighting and I have the specs for it, but hey, it's better than not getting to play at all!

EDIT: Numbers are:

60 FPS on ultra but shaders on low
...12 FPS on complete ultra? Isn't that what I had before? But before, turning down the shaders didn't help. That's pretty odd.
Edited by Cadeyrn on 2/15/2011 9:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
ive been having FPS issues for quite a while, your just probably stuck with me, not being able to play... for ever...
bliz either doesn't care, or has encountered some kind of zombifying computer virus that infects anyone trying to solve FPS issues.

i bet they are just lazy, its too much of a waste of time to care for the few of us that cant play, since the others can play perfectly.

you should either uninstall the game and get your money back, or wait and hope Jesus comes and fixes the game :T

also quad core and over is for nerds according to blizzard, since they wont optimize the game for anything better than dual core.

just hope this isnt the same prob i have and that its only temporary, like until next patch...Good luck :T
Reply Quote
I have a desktop, could run settings on ultra in campaign with 60+ fps and that was last night, now since update i get 20 fps and lower this is really starting to grind my gears.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]