StarCraft® II

Aiur Chef – Beta Feedback Thread

(Locked)

I feel like a little more scarcity for supplies would be good. Concentrating the chiefs physically closer allows them to gang up on the leader and such. Also, it would be nice if we could go to 5 rounds, giving others more of a chance to catch up.

I personally don't mind the camera how it is.

You may have too many special hot-keys to do this, but it would be nice if the hotkeys for various spells were consistent. Actually, scratch that, it makes the game less newb friendly.

The announcer is so funny.

Perhaps announcing the winner's color? It feels pretty empty when it's like, "And the winner is...." ... .... ... ENDGAME

I also like the official records not having wins or losses, just ties as they currently are. It encourages friendly competition, not "serious business" competition.

"Pig-a-lysk!" almost had me rolling across the floor. I could hardly control my chief!

A long-range attack might be a cool addition at some point. Let you shoot over forcefields against dangerous creatures or something.

Perhaps when the round of 3 ends you can vote to stop there or continue, then again at 5, and then it ends at round 7, that way if the majority want's to keep trying to take down the winner, they can.

In the later rounds, or perhaps even as a 7th round "boss" dish, it takes more than one -- or even three -- chiefs to take the dish down. Of course, it gives just enough for each chief required. Just watch for other chiefs trying to steel your work.
Edited by FoxyMayhem on 1/26/2011 2:12 PM PST
when i try to join a game of aiur chef, the matchmaking notification area (where it tells me that im searching for a match, etc) does the version check for a new version of the custom map, then where it would normally say that its joining a game or searching etc, it simply clears the notification area, and nothing happens. i have no ability to cancel the searching process, which seems to not get anywhere. i cant join any other type of multiplayer game (custom or matchmaking). i cant start single player. the only 'fix' is to exit the game, and re - load the game.
this happens every time i try to play aiur chef - havent played it once yet....
Overall I enjoyed the game. I would have liked to see more variation between the rounds to keep things interesting. I also don't agree with the notion that ingredient stealing should be removed. Part of the game involves a well time steal of another player's ingredients.
Excellent game! I enjoyed it however at the moment it gets old fast. Its just to fast. You win (or lose) and your like thats it? Simply put it's to easy. You find your stuff and run back. Sure You have to fight some stuff but it's not like you're gonna die to anything. I think that you should make it more dangerous to walk into the zerg base. Its like you just waltz on in kill an ultralisk than waltz back out. It should feel scary to walk on to creep like your entering the danger zone. The fights should be more serious like you could actually lose if you aggro to many zerg. Maybe you could do something like if you don't get in and out fast than the queen or maybe a horde of banelings will come and splatter you to kingdom come. Right now its mostly just a race against the other players to go to the right places. I feel that there should be more than that, like its actually risky to go out and collect your ingredients.
I like it. Though now that i've played it, it doesn't feel as awesome as I thought it was going to be from the screens.

Camera lock is very annoying. I can't think of a reason for it? Trying to blink in a downwards direction is very cramped as you need to try and maximise your blink range while not hitting the GUI.

I found the game entertaining, but really the gameplay is too lacking. I enjoyed the little announcer and the zealots with hats, but I was continually frustrated in the game. By round 3, I couldn't cook anything because some guy thought it would be hilarious to follow me around and grav lift me repeatedly until I died. And then do it again when he found me. Also, the game is not really tricky or skillful in any way, it's more who can click the ingredients the fastest. At least put the items in your inventory when you kill something instead of having to fight for something after you go through the trouble of killing something.

It's a game of griefing, not of skill.
I really enjoyed it, though the camera lock really needs to go. Other than that, a little more challenge in the form of greater scarcity or tougher enemies, but that's less important than the camera lock. Overall, very fun game type.
I enjoy the game a lot but im having the same issue here i have in the regular game: the "hitbox" for everything is so small, i find myself clicking all around food trying to pick it up but missing just barely so i run next to it, sometimes takes several clicks before i pick it up, same thing with the other players and trying to hit em with abilites. I would suggest making the hitboxes just a tad bigger since so much of this map revolves around clicking all those little things.
Two things from watching replays:

It would be nice to see a player's inventory just like in game. You can see what they have from the menu top left but if it's possible to have the actual inventory showing it would be consistent.

Having to use 1,2,3...8 hotkeys to find someone then click on them to see their spells/inventory is a bit tiresome. Would it be possible on replays to scroll around as per a regular replay?

The reason I've been doing all this replay watching is because I got nuked twice in one round and wanted to know why. It doesn't look like "The Equaliser" or whatever the hell it's called is a player spell but rather the hand of some whiny liberal God who wants people to always have a chance at winning no matter how much they suck.
Oh, and I still won despite the nukings so 7 card carrying members of the Mummy Says I'm Special Brigand probably had a big cry this afternoon. Please increase Nuke rate to 1 per second targeting the current leader or remove the scoreboard altogether so this never happens again.
This game makes me laugh. I love "EN TARO CUISINE!".

I, like others, have suggestions.

I would like to be able to know the location of the person currently in first place. Not knowing this simply limits me to casting hampering spells on other players as I pass them. Maybe a Crown symbol on the minimap?

Item stealing is fine.

Good job
I admit I didn't really understand what I was doing at first...but I ran into the middle with no ingredients and I was unable to move my char after doing so. Was extremely frustrating not knowing why I couldn't proceed. Admittedly, I quit at that point and haven't returned.
Kuizana!

Yes?

It appears the Aiur Chef ends quote abruptly when finished.
Aiur chef. It's really confusing at first. Sucks that sabotaging 2nd and 3rd abilities don't open up sooner. The most fun part of the game is sabotaging other players to get ahead. Once you figure out where everything is it's really easy and boring.

Besides the sabotaging what would be neat is a bigger incentive to make a variety of stuff. All I do is see which one gives me the most points and I just make that until it diminishes.
01/27/2011 6:04 AMPosted by WalkinDude
This game makes me laugh. I love "EN TARO CUISINE!".

I, like others, have suggestions.

I would like to be able to know the location of the person currently in first place. Not knowing this simply limits me to casting hampering spells on other players as I pass them. Maybe a Crown symbol on the minimap?

Item stealing is fine.

Good job

They should stick a big fat targeting symbol on the lead player so people can gang on him. :P
01/27/2011 1:35 AMPosted by SixtusFifth
Two things from watching replays:

It would be nice to see a player's inventory just like in game. You can see what they have from the menu top left but if it's possible to have the actual inventory showing it would be consistent.

Having to use 1,2,3...8 hotkeys to find someone then click on them to see their spells/inventory is a bit tiresome. Would it be possible on replays to scroll around as per a regular replay?

The reason I've been doing all this replay watching is because I got nuked twice in one round and wanted to know why. It doesn't look like "The Equaliser" or whatever the hell it's called is a player spell but rather the hand of some whiny liberal God who wants people to always have a chance at winning no matter how much they suck.
Oh, and I still won despite the nukings so 7 card carrying members of the Mummy Says I'm Special Brigand probably had a big cry this afternoon. Please increase Nuke rate to 1 per second targeting the current leader or remove the scoreboard altogether so this never happens again.

More info on camera locking:
If during any cutscene you have selected a player when the Archon says "En Taro Cusine" then the camera locks and you have to use 1,2,3...8 to look at different players.

If you keep the Camera set to Everyone then there is no camera locking and you can scroll around the replay as normal - but then you can't see the leaderboard or what people are carrying.

To be able to scroll around and click on people like on a normal replay for all 3 rounds you must remember to switch to Everyone before the Archon says "En Taro Cusine".

Regarding people wanting some special minimap symbol to denote the current leader: the leaderboard shows player colour and the minimap has player-coloured cleaver symbols. This game may or may not develop the same popularity and seperate ladder as DOTA but there could at least be some skill progression.
Played it a couple of times and rhere is always a couple of people that lag out.
I played it and found it to be abit dry gameplay wise. While I did do it solo (And I probably will be flamed for it but I prefer seeing it alone before trying it with others.) it had those moments where I'm abit underwhelmed.

My Suggestions -

1) When doing the announcing of the Dish, what would make it more dynamic is having a randomizer between dishes.
- And to provide balance if needed, it could be simply each round has a choice of 3 dishes each that one is selected randomly from the pool. This way difficulty can be preserved and not having to deal with ultralisks first round.

2) Perhaps making points like a resource as well as score. For example,
-Spending so much points on getting an extra inventory slot. While this may sound mundane but when you have already 1 inventory spot taken from a Hearth Stove That limits your cooking options. It can prove make or break to use those points, or it could also be for a temporary buff, or upgrades.

3) Each level felt essentially the same, just with differnt units. Perhaps making each round have abit of a differnt challenge to do. But at the same time i can see the restraint up on this with the time limit and everyone going after the dishes as well.

But thats just my 2 cents on what could be done with it at this time. Overall I loved the voice acting, and the custom models you used. I was abit disapointed when it came time for winning and it goes silent when he was supposed to say the chef's name. While Understandable, You could use the color's assigned to the player number to have him say it by color, but with some added flavor because that voice begs for it.

Edit- Again, I've not personally played it with others at this time. Once I have I will probably have more to say.

-The Tusk
Edited by Tusktuki on 1/27/2011 8:39 PM PST
A really fun game. The voice acting is a great touch and the idea of collecting food is very fun. This game has great potential, but overall I still think it has some more work. Some suggestions I would have are:

Make the special items like Decoys and Hearthstoves be stored in a separate, 7th inventory slot.

Let us pick up food by passing through it instead of needing to manually click the food. I often found myself standing next to or running circles around the food because I couldn't click the small, exact location I needed to.

Make combat with the critters a little different. Watching 2 melee units sit there and hit each other isn't very fun.

Please no fixed camera. Being so restricted like that really killed a lot of the enjoyment for me and I'm not sure why it's there.

I'll keep playing and I hope you keep making the game better!
=======================================

Aiur Chef

• The help text on the loading screen is too hard to read because of the color and the background (I was playing in windowed mode).

• First time I joined the game, I was dropped for no reason at all.

• The intro takes too long and its boring. I couldn't skip. Do I have to listen to that everytime?

• Why do I have to kill a cow just to grab some cheese?

• The game lacks action. You have to repeat the same thing all the time. I felt that I was wasting time.

• We always have 3 options, but the first two suck. Items are useless, so to win you just have to go to the last option.

• This is the type of game that you play once and you don't want to play again. The problem is that the first time you are lost because you don't know where to get the igredients (minimap doesn't help), so you will probably lose (unless everyone is also a noob, which is hard).

• In the end, you see the winner zealot, but I couldn't figure out who he is, and I didn't have time to talk to him. I like to talk to the players after a game.

• The graphs and terrain are very nice, but I was expecting more gameplay and replayability from a largely advertised Blizzard map.

Score: C-

=======================================
I was anticipating on playing an actual cooking game. Instead this is more like go and find some recipes and annoy your enemies while you're at it. Out of the maps that have been released, I don't think this will make it anywhere. I'm pretty sure people only enjoy it because of all the cool interfaces and voices. A game based on cooking has some treachery involved in it? You should of just made a "find the killer" type game instead.

So for my feedback, because of the odd theme for the concept, poor strategy, and bland gameplay. I would definitely give it an extremely low rating. My suggestion is to just remake the game. Make it a cooking game based on timing where you actually cook the food or just make a "find the killer" type game.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]