StarCraft® II

Things that bug you about Star Battle

Star Battle in its current form, is dropping in appeal. The past two to three patches have diminshed the gameplay overall, and the creator, after his due credit, has taken very little of the playerbase into consideration while making these changes.

Most, if not all of the good Star Battle players are now looking for another challenge in the form of new games.

Did you run a pool or something? The last few patch improve the game significantly, only rating is broken.
Reply Quote
If you want to make it different, you could add the zerg fleet. 3 way fight!
Reply Quote
about 600 games of star battle, my clan is (i believe) ranked #1 in the sb league and theres a few things I would enjoy seeing in a varient. you obviously dont want to remake dota or you would make a sotis varient. so it would essentially still play similarly to star battle correct?

I see star battle as a game of precise techniques, teamwork, and patience

if you are making a variant hows about making a galaxy where instead of homeships you have planets, a few (or many) houses are vying for control of the galaxy. each house has access to similar ships but each one differs slightly in skins and abilities.

more ships, STILL NO RESPAWNS, more factions, a wider variety of spawned fighters

there are a few space AoS' out there, that fleet game and theres one more... the names elude me. so theres a lot of competition. i wish you luck on the map!
Reply Quote
@Prolixity

I'm not necessarily making a differently patched version of star battle here, but I would love to hear their input. I'd like to sit down with them and ask what they are looking for or would like out of a custom game.

How could I get a hold of these players?
Edited by FoxyMayhem on 2/11/2011 3:02 PM PST
Reply Quote

Star Battle in its current form, is dropping in appeal. The past two to three patches have diminshed the gameplay overall, and the creator, after his due credit, has taken very little of the playerbase into consideration while making these changes.

Most, if not all of the good Star Battle players are now looking for another challenge in the form of new games.

Did you run a pool or something? The last few patch improve the game significantly, only rating is broken.

Condidering I actually play with the best players who play Star Battle, I think I speak for most of them when I said what I did. I have played Star Battle for 5-6 patches now, I have seen it change, I'm the only forum moderator other than zedu on the Star Battle forums. I think my opinion counts for, and represents something more than, simply my opinion.
Reply Quote
My clan is currently the best clan in the Star Battle League, I say that without any condescending bias. XD is rated first because they play more matches in league, but we've beaten them on several occassions.

That being said, feel free to drop into SCII channel, Deicide or Clan Deicide.

Our clan page is: http://playstarbattle.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=530

Most players on Team B and A represent the majority of Star Battle's high level players.
Edited by Prolixity on 2/11/2011 3:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
Any specific players you recommend talking to? Ideally I'd like to voice chat (skype, b.net, ventrillo) with them and just have a casual conversation.
Reply Quote
The most theory minded of Clan Deicide would be RuffRidah, Forbiddian, EnTaroPylo, delta, and myself.
Reply Quote
I would suggest going through this: http://playstarbattle.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=98
Reply Quote
EDIT: Reading. Awesome vid, btw.

Excellent, thank you for the list, I will pursue it.

You can yourself among them; would you take a look at the "(Star) Battle over Acid Lake" thread, it's taking a more comprehensive approach to detailing the theory and changes I'm proposing in the map.

Or is there a specific reason you haven't commented on theory for this map before? Is the revive mechanic keeping you away?
Edited by FoxyMayhem on 2/11/2011 3:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't regard any of the Star Battle critiques outside of the official forum itself, which is not to say that it's insight-less, just that I feel that the forums are the proper place for them.

I will take a look.
Reply Quote
02/11/2011 3:16 PMPosted by Prolixity
I don't regard any of the Star Battle critiques outside of the official forum itself, which is not to say that it's insight-less, just that I feel that the forums are the proper place for them.

Have to agree with that.

And thank you.
Reply Quote
IMO Star Battle is the best custom map yet. Just needs some more ships. Also, @Prolixity I beat Delta and killed EnTaroPylo (Did not win the game against EnTaroPylo though, so still failed). BTW your team is very good. You're team went pub stomping and won a 5 vs. 7 when they were the team with only 5 players.
Edited by Tassadar on 2/11/2011 9:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
I agree each ship needs a afterburner or some kind of turbo thrusters that use your energy. I think it might be cool if you had Asteroids or stuff to hide behind or fly around if someone is chasing you. Maybe Planets or moons. I don't agree with ships passing through each other. If you ram it would cause damage. A ship with heavy armor could be a Rammer. Make the Void Ray have to use energy to fire it's rays instead of them being limitless. That would be fair. Let Major damage repair be one of the upgrades you purchase at the Main base Price $500 so if you get killed you could repair your ship, but it only works once and if you use it, it cuts everything in half or something like that. Maybe everyone gets 2 ships at the beginning one always stays docked at the Main Base. If you get killed an escape pod flies back to the Main Base where you get your other ship. During the game you can switch out and upgrade both ships. It would be Awesome to design your own ship and equip it like you want with in reason. I think having a Battlestar or Battleship Yamato would be cool. Do away with the Warp and Science Prisms and maybe at the beginning of the game everyone has 1 Prism they can place where ever they like on your side of the map. You need to be able to repair the Main Base and Prisms. The Main base should have it's own repair bots or repair ships that come out maybe 5 mins after they've been damaged. I like your idea of mining platforms, but also allow farming so everything won't be so even. I could think of a hundred of other things I'm sure. I love Star Battle, but it could be better.
Reply Quote
01/29/2011 12:50 PMPosted by Rhettbutler
I don't like that noobs have a hard time following directions. That's probably more of a people problem, though...

01/29/2011 09:03 PMPosted by FoxyMayhem
Also, I don't like that everyone is the same color.
Why? Purely cosmetic, or hard to tell who was talking?

The idea itself just bores me, farming ships and flying side by side to other ships exchanging autoweapon damage

A fair complaint Adam. Let me tell you what I already have in the works, and see if that sparks your interest. It may, it may not.

• There is no farming. You have Collectors (tall Oil-rig like installations with some defense) to protect. 3 for each team. They produce equal money for every player ever 20 second. Every role is rewarded.
  • In addition, along the center divide of the map, items float up. A player can collect these and return it to one of the Collection Rigs for a $100 bonus for every player on their team. Thus, a team needs to balances defense, attack, and collection roles amongst their players.
  • Everyone has autoweapons, but multiple spells are immediately available to the player (and are sound tactical choices from the beginning). Skill and strategy comes into play knowing when to use those spells, and having a good reaction time to counter enemy ship spells.
  • Pique your interest any more?

--

dude what collecter rings? seriouly that must be old you have to farm phonexis or vikings

A thanks to everyone else who commented.
    Reply Quote
    the nhow will we win the game if we keep on respawning?/
    Reply Quote
    I like the admiral thingy too... When I played my first game, we did have this guy that did command and we did a full on push. But I did have to retreat when my flaming ship was literally on 1 health and 0 shields and being followed by like 20 interceptors...
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]