StarCraft® II

[G] Comprehensive Starcraft II Ladder Guide

(Sticky)

MVP - StarCraft
04/21/2011 01:39 PMPosted by Lacuna
I still believe there should be random "team" master league, I realize that there's a lot of negative feedback on the idea. But I'm Division Rank 1 in Diamond for random 4's. It would just be a lot of fun, there's a lot to be said on "leadership" in game with your teammates and good communication and just the dynamic in general. If anyone else here is a high tier player who enjoys competitive team games and think it's befitting also please leave a comment.

Master league already exists for every format: solo, random team, and arranged team.
Reply Quote
Blizzard's recent adjustments to the league system appear to be on either confidence buffers or MMR thresholds for the Bronze / Silver league promotion.

By looking at the bronze divisions right now, one may be able to deduce some of the tiers based on total players.

At a glance, one can guess that the following divisions are either Tier 1 or Tier 2 due to the large number of high MMR players being promoted to Silver.

(data from sc2ranks.com , midnight EST April 22)
Division Players
Adun Mars 88
Agria Psi 87
Agria Zed 86
Aiur Gravity 87
Aldaris Charlie 88
Aldaris Foxtrot 88
Alzadar Oscar 87
Alzadar Theta 85
Amerigo Nu 88
Araq Mars 85
Arcturus X-Ray 88
Argo Phi 88
Argo Xi 85
Augustgrad Beta 86
Augustgrad Victor 87
Azimar Uncle 88
Banshee Gamma 87
Bhekar Ro Epsilon 86
Braken Gravity 86
Braxis Yankee 88
Brontes Romeo 87
Broodling Mu 87
Defiler Kappa 85
Dominion Psi 86
Dragoon Eta 87
Dropship Gamma 86
Dylar Omicron 85
Ehlna Kappa 87
Executor Lambda 87
Feld Juliet 86
Firebat Alpha 85
Firebat Pi 86
Firebat Tau 86
Firebat X-Ray 87
Furinax Omicron 87
Ghost Delta 84
Guardian Sierra 88
Hanson November 87
Hive Iota 86
Hive Omicron 87
Hydralisk Oscar 85
Infestor Iota 86
Jorgensen Rho 87
Jorgensen Tau 85
Kagg Rho 88
Kaloth Echo 87
Kaloth Pepper 87
Kerrigan X-Ray 85
Khala Eta 86
Korhal Hawk 86
Korhal Tau 85
Koronis Alamo 87
Ladranix Kappa 85
Lenassa Dixie 85
Lenassa Kilo 87
Leviathan Bravo 88
Leviathan Epsilon 88
Liberty Eta 88
Liberty Xi 85
Lockwell Psi 86
Lockwell Quest 87
Lockwell Tango 87
Lurker Mu 86
Lurker Whiskey 87
Marauder Upsilon 88
Marine Theta 86
Medic Chi 85
Medic Delta 88
Meinhoff Foxtrot 87
Muadun Pepper 86
Muadun Uncle 86
Nagglfar Iota 88
Nargil Delta 88
New Folsom November 86
Nexus Chi 86
Nexus Phi 85
Nova Gamma 86
Overmind Zed 86
Overseer Eta 88
Phash Delta 84
Praetor Rho 88
Preserver Romeo 87
Queen Beta 88
Queen Gamma 87
Raven Victor 87
Raynor Pepper 85
Reaver Tau 88
Routhe Iota 86
Samiku Juliet 86
Sargas Uncle 88
Scourge Romeo 86
Selendis Victor 88
Sentry Lima 86
Sentry Tau 87
Shakuras Zed 85
Shuttle X-Ray 87
Siege Tank Sigma 86
Swann Omicron 86
Taarim Sierra 88
Tabrenus Tango 87
Tarsonis Chi 88
Tassadar Yankee 85
Templar Pepper 86
Templar Psi 87
Torrasque Quest 86
Torus Dixie 86
Tosh Lima 87
Tosh Rho 85
Tychus Gamma 87
Typhon Hawk 86
Tyrador Iota 87
UED Eta 88
Ultralisk Upsilon 84
Umoja Mars 88
Umoja Pi 88
Uraj Alpha 85
Ursa Gamma 88
Ursa Romeo 84
Urun Sierra 88
Valerian Psi 84
Valerian Upsilon 85
Valkyrie Epsilon 85
Victory Alamo 87
Viking Omicron 86
War Pigs Mu 87
Warp Prism Lima 85
Zamara Mars 86
Zasz Kilo 86
Zealot Foxtrot 86
Zealot Gravity 87
Zekrath Romeo 87
Zer’atai Gamma 85
Zer’atai Kappa 86
Zergling Oscar 86
Edited by Goofy on 4/21/2011 9:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
That's a good point. When Master league opened up, the top-tier Diamond divisions tended to have many more promotions than the lower-tier ones. There's probably something similar at work here.
Edited by ExcaliburZ on 4/21/2011 9:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Team Matchmaking
It is believed that when a team is first formed, the MMRs of all members are averaged to form the team's initial MMR during the first placement match. After that first placement match, the team's MMR is separate per normal.

I played some 3v3 team games last night. We consisted of 2 master and 1 diamond players. It was our first time playing together, so we had to do our placement matches. Our first battle was against 1 master and 2 diamonds. We won that battle. THEN, after wining the first placement match against master/diamonds, it matched us against 1silver/2bronze. ?!?!?!?!?! Huh?

...after winning that battle, it matched us with 2 silver/1 gold???? ?!?!?

After the first placement match, that new team or game type's MMR is separate. This allows players to immediately start playing against players close to their skill level from the very first game.

I'm still confused as to how the matching system works?
Reply Quote
Can a blue or mod take a look at my remove my latest achievements + wins? Let's just say I may or may not have broke the rules and would like to get my achievement + wins removed in case my account gets suspended (I did not see the sticky about not "win trading" >.>.

The reason why I did it so late was because I remember reading about win trading on teamliquid a few days ago but did not do it or check the forums until now; which meant I just missed the warning >.<). It's nothing major at the moment if that saves my account...

I'm sorry and I won't do it again.

Can someone report (if there is a report post button because I can't find it >.>) this post so a mod can see.
Edited by Potato on 4/30/2011 6:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
you know the ranking system is bs when it takes that long to explain
Reply Quote
My Question however is this.
The MMR In terms of well League. Say Grandmasters have 1500 MMR. or w/e
there MMR Will grow the more they play
so lets say 100 a week means 3 months from now (12 weeks) = 2700 MMR = Master League.
Now lets say you only play 2-3 Times a week. Your good your friend whos in Diamond or Masters uses you as a practice partner you may not win all the time, But you do win about half the time Maybe even slightly less.
You feel good right? Being able to win about 50% Of the time vs your Master League Buddie?
But he plays about 12+ Games a week (Example)
you only play 2-3
So if he gets 100 MMR a week you get 1/3rd tha to 1/4th. lets say a quarter. 1/4th. thats 25MMR For you
you both started at 1500 MMR And are in Masters together but becouse you have work or w/e and only play 2-3 times a week now. In 3 months when he has 2700 MMR you will only have (25x12)+1500=1800 MMR.
your still as good as your buddie but becouse the "Master" League MMR Has Increase the game Demotes you due to lack of game time becouse your MMR Is no longer the Miminume for Master League.

Am I Basicly getting this right? That this game tends to favor peeps who spam game play?[/quote]if i am right after reading this 500 times as everyone else has and from when i play, this is half true due to the confidence factor built into the match making system.
in short, if you are a plat lvl player and continue to win more than you lose, your confidence factor will put you vs higher lvl players than your current lvl so you would be getting more points added to your MMR for winning vs diamond and master lvl player than you would playing just plat. players. As stated in previous posts it may take some time to promote because you may skip diamond and go straight to master. i may be wrong but this is what i gathered from everthing i have read here
Edited by OneOfOne on 5/12/2011 7:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
My Question however is this.
The MMR In terms of well League. Say Grandmasters have 1500 MMR. or w/e
there MMR Will grow the more they play
so lets say 100 a week means 3 months from now (12 weeks) = 2700 MMR = Master League.
Now lets say you only play 2-3 Times a week. Your good your friend whos in Diamond or Masters uses you as a practice partner you may not win all the time, But you do win about half the time Maybe even slightly less.
You feel good right? Being able to win about 50% Of the time vs your Master League Buddie?
But he plays about 12+ Games a week (Example)
you only play 2-3
So if he gets 100 MMR a week you get 1/3rd tha to 1/4th. lets say a quarter. 1/4th. thats 25MMR For you
you both started at 1500 MMR And are in Masters together but becouse you have work or w/e and only play 2-3 times a week now. In 3 months when he has 2700 MMR you will only have (25x12)+1500=1800 MMR.
your still as good as your buddie but becouse the "Master" League MMR Has Increase the game Demotes you due to lack of game time becouse your MMR Is no longer the Miminume for Master League.

Am I Basicly getting this right? That this game tends to favor peeps who spam game play?
if i am right after reading this 500 times as everyone else has and from when i play, this is half true due to the confidence factor built into the match making system.
in short, if you are a plat lvl player and continue to win more than you lose, your confidence factor will put you vs higher lvl players than your current lvl so you would be getting more points added to your MMR for winning vs diamond and master lvl player than you would playing just plat. players. As stated in previous posts it may take some time to promote because you may skip diamond and go straight to master. i may be wrong but this is what i gathered from everthing i have read here

The breakpoints are static and don't change. You also can go from the very bottom of the ladder to the very top without that many games played because MMR is capable of shifting a great deal when uncertainty is high. Players have gone from the bottom of Bronze to the top of Master in as few as 50 games. If you're outperforming your current position, you'll get to where you need to be relatively quickly. The league populations as percentiles are not enforced.

It takes longer to get promoted depending on how many division tiers a league has, because you have to fit into one of those tiers. You also can't skip leagues anymore (based on reports from the past 3 months). Instead, if you overshoot a league, you just get put in the highest tier for that league. Even though your MMR will go beyond that league, this means you just won't stay in that league for long. It's not surprising that the longest promotions are from Plat -> Diamond, Bronze -> Silver, and Diamond -> Master, because Bronze and Diamond cover larger skill ranges and leagues are sticky.

Reply Quote
ok so question. since the start of season 2 blizz put on the top 50 25 and 8. is that kind of a tease for your MMR? if you are in the top 8 its safe to assume that your MMR is still going up, if you are in the 25 range your MMR is slowing and if your are just in the top 50 for a longer period of time your MMR has pretty much leveled off? i know the new "sub ranks" we will call them are based off points alone but when you have a bonus pool of less than 100 at all times?

i also use sc2gears and i know it will tell you your win loss ratio. is there a guesstament on about what your W:L will be around closer to promotion?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
ok so question. since the start of season 2 blizz put on the top 50 25 and 8. is that kind of a tease for your MMR? if you are in the top 8 its safe to assume that your MMR is still going up, if you are in the 25 range your MMR is slowing and if your are just in the top 50 for a longer period of time your MMR has pretty much leveled off? i know the new "sub ranks" we will call them are based off points alone but when you have a bonus pool of less than 100 at all times?

i also use sc2gears and i know it will tell you your win loss ratio. is there a guesstament on about what your W:L will be around closer to promotion?

No, there's no correlation between the position in your division or your win % to your MMR. Typically, all you have to do to get into the top 8 of your division is spend your bonus pool, which means simply play games and don't fall idle. You could easily get into the top 8 of your division and have your MMR either stay the same or even drop, because the majority of your points will come from your bonus pool anyway. The only indicator of your MMR is the league of your opponents, and even that has to be studied as a trend rather than focusing on individual examples.
Reply Quote
is it safe to assume that if you play a higher percent of players in a higher league than you that you may be close to a promotion? i.e if i am in gold and 60% of the people i play are in plat. or higher.
also do you know what the MMR is for each league?
bronze is 1000 - 1200 silver 1201 - 1400 gold 1401 - 1600 ect ect?
Edited by OneOfOne on 5/13/2011 1:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ok so i am currently 33-6 in silver the last 20 games are against gold/plat and i been crushing them, how many do i neeed to win to raise my mmr?
Reply Quote
05/14/2011 03:50 PMPosted by BerserkBoar
ok so i am currently 33-6 in silver the last 20 games are against gold/plat and i been crushing them, how many do i neeed to win to raise my mmr?
It's being raised every game.
Reply Quote
good post.

So explain to me how i have won 40 str8 games in bronze 1v1 and not gotten promoted?
doubling the score of my opponents each game.. and *#!#** them terribly?

Is it because the ladders are retarded, and extremely flawed?

i think so.

*Edit*

This is of course, 40 in a row. Without losing.
Edited by DSteezy on 6/7/2011 12:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
more than likely your confedence curve has not settled yet so its not sure where to put you . look at the rank of all your opponents and if they are in higher leagues then that is the case. if they are not then you are probably still below the 0 lvl and working your way up
Reply Quote
i appreciate the response..
but 40 wins in a row? how more confident can you be?

its strange.. ive only been placed against a small handful of silver players.. yet, i've managed to destroy them all the same.

I submit a request for a trouble ticket but blizzard told me nothing.. can someone view my prof and tell me whats up?

i dont play much 2, 3, 4's i focus a lot on 1's... so this doesnt make too much sense!

look at my match history if you can and you will see its been 40 games since the last time i lost!
and i double the score of the players i face...it doesnt add up!

Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
i appreciate the response..
but 40 wins in a row? how more confident can you be?

its strange.. ive only been placed against a small handful of silver players.. yet, i've managed to destroy them all the same.

I submit a request for a trouble ticket but blizzard told me nothing.. can someone view my prof and tell me whats up?

i dont play much 2, 3, 4's i focus a lot on 1's... so this doesnt make too much sense!

look at my match history if you can and you will see its been 40 games since the last time i lost!
and i double the score of the players i face...it doesnt add up!

Don't have time to check out the profile right now, but sounds like you started out at pretty close to the bottom of Bronze? Bronze is a really big league, so it takes a lot of games to climb out of it. Gradually, the amount of Silver players you'll see will increase, then Golds, then perhaps Platinums if you keep winning at that rate. Once you get to that point, people say that they're promoted soon afterward. If you haven't encountered any Golds or Platinums, you can still get promoted just by playing Silvers, it could just take a little longer.
Edited by ExcaliburZ on 6/9/2011 8:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
ExcaliburZ, is there any way that you know of that you can find out what division or tier you are in in a league? also are you stuck in that tier while you are in that league?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]