StarCraft® II

[G] Comprehensive Starcraft II Ladder Guide

(Sticky)

I might have missed it, but how do you calculate MMR?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
02/18/2012 09:22 AMPosted by MetalRaider
I might have missed it, but how do you calculate MMR?

You can't. If it were possible to do that I would definitely mention it, because that would be pretty important to know for the purposes of gauging promotion among other things. You can get a general idea of where you stand by drawing inferences based on opponent match history and how many points they gain or lose against you.
Reply Quote
i wish there was like a kill death ratio to like total games played and won and then you would have the ratio. updates mayebe who knows. Check out my site for school project guys comments welcome
winningstarcraft.com thanks guys ! big ups
Reply Quote
Even my total points earned is more than pointes lost and having wining average of %50, I was dropped from Gold rank 24 to Silver rank 14 after two losses, one to a top silver and another to gold rank 1.
I have never seen such a sharp and sudden drop.....how is it possible?!
Reply Quote
MVP - Soporte Tecnico
Hi Hi ExcaliburZ... May I copy & translate your sticky threads? I want to put it in the LA Forum =)
Reply Quote
MVP
Hi Hi ExcaliburZ... May I copy & translate your sticky threads? I want to put it in the LA Forum =)

You mean the Spanish speaking LA forums! :D

As there is already a translation for the brazilian community =3
http://us.battle.net/sc2/pt/forum/topic/2112374844?page=1

If you want any clarification so you can translate better, just ask us here. Go ahead and make the threads. I'd love to do it myself, but I can only understand Spanish, I can't write/speak it =/
Reply Quote
MVP - Soporte Tecnico

You mean the Spanish speaking LA forums! :D

As there is already a translation for the brazilian community =3
http://us.battle.net/sc2/pt/forum/topic/2112374844?page=1

If you want any clarification so you can translate better, just ask us here. Go ahead and make the threads. I'd love to do it myself, but I can only understand Spanish, I can't write/speak it =/

Yes The Spanish LA Forums. I can write/speak the portuguese.. So I will have to translate from the English he he

Thanks you very much =) If you need something, just say me!
Reply Quote
Exca I would really like to see an answer from you about this matter. If you don't mind ^^.

This is a post from someone in the LA forums and I do have an opinion but I'm kinda tired of this guys thinking that every post I do is to defend Blizzard. Maybe he's right but he's not using that info to become a better player... I dunnow but I'm kinda tired of those whiners.

Basically the problem now is "We have less people playing, and it's getting complicated, so we are going to throw you players that are much better than you if you seem to have a good MMR, and that way you get mega pwnd until you get demoted (league) or you play at their same level. To those who have an awful MMR we will be sending mostly low level so you get "pseudo-smurfed" and don't get demoted"

They put you with what ever they have at hand because of the lack of players, and the "exciting and finely tuned competitive experience possible" that is created is that they let you play with others that could be very noobs when your MMR is terribad but you still don't get demoted, or against others that are much better than you when your MMR is high.

The problem is the range of players considered in that search, that is the matchmaking, wich not only depends on the MMR but it also modifies it.

And it doesn't worth a thing to be thrown with players that pwns you with no effort making you lose and maybe taking away from you a few points getting your MMR down if the next thing is to match you against players that is worst than you.

Anyway, GL to all of you who have average level oponents, wait until more people play or Blizz modifies the matchmaking.
It would be awesome if you could add something to our crazy discussion about the Season 7 matchmaking system.
Edited by Drakan on 4/11/2012 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Exca I would really like to see an answer from you about this matter. If you don't mind ^^.

This is a post from someone in the LA forums and I do have an opinion but I'm kinda tired of this guys thinking that every post I do is to defend Blizzard. Maybe he's right but he's not using that info to become a better player... I dunnow but I'm kinda tired of those whiners.

Basically the problem now is "We have less people playing, and it's getting complicated, so we are going to throw you players that are much better than you if you seem to have a good MMR, and that way you get mega pwnd until you get demoted (league) or you play at their same level. To those who have an awful MMR we will be sending mostly low level so you get "pseudo-smurfed" and don't get demoted"

They put you with what ever they have at hand because of the lack of players, and the "exciting and finely tuned competitive experience possible" that is created is that they let you play with others that could be very noobs when your MMR is terribad but you still don't get demoted, or against others that are much better than you when your MMR is high.

The problem is the range of players considered in that search, that is the matchmaking, wich not only depends on the MMR but it also modifies it.

And it doesn't worth a thing to be thrown with players that pwns you with no effort making you lose and maybe taking away from you a few points getting your MMR down if the next thing is to match you against players that is worst than you.

Anyway, GL to all of you who have average level oponents, wait until more people play or Blizz modifies the matchmaking.
It would be awesome if you could add something to our crazy discussion about the Season 7 matchmaking system.

The reason behind the expanded matchmaking range is known only to Blizzard, and we can only speculate. However, it is true that there are fewer active players now than in Season 1, and it's possible that wait times on average were long enough due to the reduced player pool that Blizzard decided to make this change. It's also possible that Blizzard is thinking ahead and expect fewer active players immediately after Diablo III launches, which will be in the second half of this season.

The mechanics behind the matchmaking change aren't specifically documented, either, but all signs seem to point toward a larger minimum search range both upward and downward. Let's say the old minimum search range was +/- 10% and now this season it's +/- 12%. That means you're just as likely to face players 12% better than you as 12% worse. The end result is that on the average, you will still play against players on your level because the chances of better or worse are still equal.

What I predict is that we'll see a lot more posts complaining about unfair matchmaking because players are going to be more likely to say "What the, I'm only Gold so why is a Diamond beating me? No wonder I lost!" without remembering the previous game where they beat a Bronze player. That's basic game psychology where losses are generally more memorable than wins.
Reply Quote
MVP
I am loving it as a platinum player. I get mostly platinuns, but several diamonds and golds and the thing is I still win against diamonds like 40% of the time, as I still lose to golds like 40% of the time, it isn't that bad at my level.

Personally, I'd rather the current system, because winning these games against the diamonds are actually motivating and losing these games to gold in contrast make me realized I need to focus and play fast all the time, it's interesting. Last season, winning and losing 50% of my games to the same platinums was like... oh god, my level is plat and I will be plat forever. But now, I wouldn't care much if I was plat forever, cause I do face different games that I can enjoy at another level. The games against the plats was tending to be always the same, kind boring.

The "excuse" Blizzard gave in the blog to implement seems to be legit. The player base getting smaller would just mean more waiting time, it wasn't necessary for this, so I don't think that Blizzard was just giving us an "excuse".

There might be some side effects of this new system. It will be a cool opportunity for Blizzard to adjust the correct MMR range for each league (if they still aim for 20/20/20/20/18/2), as the win rate of one league over the other will become more clear, it actually makes so much sense from an "experience" point of view ;)

I can't wait to see the conclusions Blizzard gets from this experience, but I do hope I keep facing golds and diamonds instead of platinums only!

Edit: too soon blizzard, too soon... sad panda :(
Edited by SDream on 4/12/2012 2:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2012 08:57 AMPosted by SDream
Personally, I'd rather the current system, because winning these games against the diamonds are actually motivating and losing these games to gold in contrast make me realized I need to focus and play fast all the time, it's interesting.

What makes you think the Golds you lose to are not actually Platinum skill but have yet to reach their true league? What makes you think the Diamonds you beat are actually out of their league and were mistakenly placed? These are issues inherent with the current system.

This ladder system is so messed up. You should ONLY be matched against people of your own league, without any consideration for MMR. If you outclass the people in your league, which should be apparent from your MMR, then you get promoted. It defeats the purpose of leagues when you intentionally match people with similar MMR together, ESPECIALLY if people are being matched with players from other leagues.
Edited by Ateo on 6/7/2012 3:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/07/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Ateo
This ladder system is so messed up. You should ONLY be matched against people of your own league, without any consideration for MMR. If you outclass the people in your league, which should be apparent from your MMR, then you get promoted. It defeats the purpose of leagues when you intentionally match people with similar MMR together, ESPECIALLY if people are being matched with players from other leagues.

The entire reason for the MMR system is to match you against players of equal skill. Since MMR can fluctuate so much from game to game, of course your league is going to lag behind skill changes. Leagues are simply for display, and suggesting they have some other "purpose" in this context doesn't make much sense.
Reply Quote
Dude im like 72 wins...and 650 points...rank 1 when do i get out of bronze...im just going up against gold and silver now.
Reply Quote
Now that everything's changed - can you update your ladder guide, Excalibur?

Now that the divisions of old are gone - what does that mean for us? Would a person need to be rank 1 of their division to stand a better chance of a promotion?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Now that everything's changed - can you update your ladder guide, Excalibur?

Now that the divisions of old are gone - what does that mean for us? Would a person need to be rank 1 of their division to stand a better chance of a promotion?

I did update it: I removed the section on division tiers =) That's basically the only change.

If you're rank 1 it doesn't necessarily mean you're any closer to a promotion. For example, you know that new divisions are created all the time. If every division in a league has 100 players, then a new division will spawn. If you're rank 1 in a new division that only has 2 or 3 players, that doesn't really say very much about whether you're in line for a promotion. Even if you're rank 1 in a division that has 100 players, but all those players joined yesterday, that still doesn't say much because everyone's points are reset so you can't definitively say who is better than who, or where you stand. If you're rank 1 with 300 points and you look at another division in your league and see the top 10 people all have 1000 points, it's a pretty safe bet that you still have a ways to go.

In summary, you'll still need to determine your MMR by looking at your average opponent skill level.
Reply Quote
can someone please tell me what MMR is? lol. Im 3rd place diamond in 2v2 with a friend and we arent being ranked up with a positive win/loss ratio and our bonus pool has been 0 forever. He is masters in 2v2 3v3 4v4 so it isn't really our skill levels. What could it be? I'm not winning enough?
Reply Quote
I only have one question (which has probably been answered and if so, I´m sorry :S ) :

Winning 5 placement matches CAN get you Masters ? I thought you could get Diamond tops ...

And if you CAN get Masters, what makes battle.net matchmaking system decide what league you should get, Diamond or Masters ?

Thanks in advance and GREAT post "Excalibur"

P.S: I only ask this because it interests me, not because I need to play the 5 placement matches because I´ve already been placed in all game types.
Reply Quote
If a player doesn't play any starcraft for about 4-5 months and then starts back to play, would he/she have to play back 5 placement matches?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
11/01/2012 12:22 PMPosted by RollinDice
If a player doesn't play any starcraft for about 4-5 months and then starts back to play, would he/she have to play back 5 placement matches?

Supposedly the system only looks back one season and if it doesn't see a match history, it forgets about you and you start the next season fresh with 5 placement matches. I've also heard that it may change to look back multiple seasons, but since there's no ETA on that it may not behave that way. I've seen reports of players missing a season and getting reset, but also had personal experience missing a season and not getting reset. I suppose to answer your question, "whatever happens, happens." =)

For clarity's sake, if your MMR is reset, you play 5 placement matches. If it carries over, you play 1 placement match.
Reply Quote
Supposedly the system only looks back one season and if it doesn't see a match history, it forgets about you and you start the next season fresh with 5 placement matches. I've also heard that it may change to look back multiple seasons, but since there's no ETA on that it may not behave that way. I've seen reports of players missing a season and getting reset, but also had personal experience missing a season and not getting reset. I suppose to answer your question, "whatever happens, happens." =)For clarity's sake, if your MMR is reset, you play 5 placement matches. If it carries over, you play 1 placement match.

i've just read back the comprehensive guide, i think this part seems interesting concerning my question.

Season TransitionsSeasons last about two months. During a season transition, bonus pools and points are wiped, but MMR carries over to the next season. MMR is only carried over for one season. At the end of a season, an active player's MMR will be carried over to the next. If they do not play any matches in the current season, however, and are not placed, the MMR will not carry over into a third season, effectively starting them fresh in the system.Special Note: Random Team MMR is linked with 1v1 MMR. This means that if you did not play any 1v1 for one season, but did play a Random Team game, your 1v1 MMR would still carry over to the next season, and vice versa.

this would explain why some reset and some don't reset.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]