StarCraft® II

No Asians!

Oh, and Milo Kachinsky is so Latino.
Reply Quote
04/27/2011 12:06 PMPosted by Shiresan
Oh, and Milo Kachinsky is so Latino.

Which sort of begs the question of where he got that name.
Reply Quote
easy man...we Asians dont want to get in to the zerg crap
Reply Quote
Haha, gotta love seeing 4 pages of people spouting the same "PC is getting out of hand!" meme. No one, including the OP, ever accused anyone of being racist, so stop getting your panties in a twist.

Personally, I never thought about this till now but OP raises a very good point. Considering that 25% of America, and more than half of starcraft players, aren't white/black, there is a serious under-representation of asian/latino characters.

Racist? No
Ethnocentric? Maybe
Stupid? Yes
Do I care? Meh

P.S. Did someone seriously say that Blizzard would have to add penguins too if they added Asians??
Reply Quote
Haha, gotta love seeing 4 pages of people spouting the same "PC is getting out of hand!" meme. No one, including the OP, ever accused anyone of being racist, so stop getting your panties in a twist.

Personally, I never thought about this till now but OP raises a very good point. Considering that 25% of America, and more than half of starcraft players, aren't white/black, there is a serious under-representation of asian/latino characters.

Racist? No
Ethnocentric? Maybe
Stupid? Yes
Do I care? Meh

P.S. Did someone seriously say that Blizzard would have to add penguins too if they added Asians??

Take a look at my earlier post - the big one. It kind of explains the whole reason why.
Reply Quote
Because it is obviously racism (even though humans are one race). You should start a protest outside Blizzard HQ. That'll teach them to make the game the way they want!
Reply Quote
Raynor doesn't like having koreans on board because they tell him how stupid his decisions are.

And after all, the crew of the hyperion is pretty much the limit of the humans you actually interact with.
Reply Quote
Terrans were originated from criminals so..
Asians-Innocent?
Reply Quote
Let's do keep in mind that we're pretty far in the future here, and the lore suggested a fairly significant amount of interbreeding amongst the limited number of people sent to the Koprulu sector. But let's look at the lore a bit.

The humans of Earth fell under the control of the United Powers League in 2229. The new government believed in the "divinity of mankind" and worked to eliminate anyone who had undergone genetic engineering or used non-essential cybernetic equipment. Government forces also cracked down on criminals, religious people, political activists and other "dissidents".

Seems to me that Asians would be prime candidates for "non-essential cybernetic equipment", all things considered. Most, as a group, love their tech toys. Also, note that the date is already 2229. The UPL also made a considerable effort to completely remove racial separation, and that effort got pretty brutal.

This computer, named ATLAS, processed the data and by multiple tests estimated how many of the prisoners could survive the hardships of the long voyage in stasis; only 40,000 passed these tests.

Amongst 40,000 people, how many do you figure were Asian? Especially when most of the people in the game have American accents. Kind of suggests where the prisoners came from.

Sarengo, which had suffered heavy damage while hitting the planet's atmosphere crashed, killing 8,000 prisoners on board and leaving the Sarengo Canyon.

So, now we're down to 32,000. And while the other ships made it down successfully, more people probably died while they figured out how to survive on their new worlds.

One more point: the names of the ships. Reagen was a former American president. Nagglfar is from Norse mythology. Argo is Greek. All, more or less, names taken from white cultures. The Sarengo? Well, that one is apparently from the Phillipines. Which ship crashed again?

So, by the clues given to us in the lore, maybe it's not hard to see why you don't see very many obviously Asian characters in the game, and maybe that reason has nothing to do with racism or appeasing a group that they never realized would fall in love with their game when they first wrote the lore and released it (in North America, because they're an American company.)

Since apparently nobody's reading it, here it is again!

Yeah, I'll seriously do that.
Reply Quote

Since no one's going to read that once we get to the next page, you'll "seriously do that" again.
Reply Quote
Asians are in the game, they are the ones driving the current Ultralisks, the pathing is so smooth its obvious....
Reply Quote

Since no one's going to read that once we get to the next page, you'll "seriously do that" again.

Maybe so, maybe not.

I can be fairly narcissistic, but I also lose interest easily.

I just get frustrated by stupid theories when it's already been explained. ;)
Reply Quote
Artificer, I like how hard you're digging for lore to justify this, but your case is pretty weak here. Do you honestly think that Blizzard consciously made all their main characters white/black so as to maintain the lore integrity of "All the Asians were on Sarengo which crashed" storyline? (which would then raise the next question: Why would Blizzard go out of their way to engineer a lore that eradicates all Asians & Latinos from the Terran universe?) The "Asians love their tech toys" sounds really flimsy too.

No, I think what just happened was that the Blizz story writers just came up with a bunch of race-neutral characters for the lore, and by default, just made them all White. Hopefully nothing overt or conscious. Someone just closed their eyes, imagined what each character would look like, and subconsciously imagined him being White.
Reply Quote
There's enough asians in Final Fantasy for all the other games currently in existence.
Reply Quote
Artificer, I like how hard you're digging for lore to justify this, but your case is pretty weak here. Do you honestly think that Blizzard consciously made all their main characters white/black so as to maintain the lore integrity of "All the Asians were on Sarengo which crashed" storyline? (which would then raise the next question: Why would Blizzard go out of their way to engineer a lore that eradicates all Asians & Latinos from the Terran universe?) The "Asians love their tech toys" sounds really flimsy too.

I would personally have far LESS respect for the writers if they didn't consider factors like "Hey, the guy obtaining and sending off prisoners as an experiment is probably only getting them from one place."

I think it's a very telling fact that when the UED showed up, most of the characters we interact with have accents uncommon to the Koprulu sector.

Yes, I actually do think Blizzard consciously thought this through. They usually do. Lore/continuity staff are of no use if they aren't considering the ramifications of former story decisions - that's what they're being paid for.
Reply Quote
I'm still not getting your point. You're saying that all the SC2 characters came from America? Well, 25% of America is not white/black. Out of all the SC2 terran characters, how many aren't white/black?

If your answer to the above is that they all crashed on the Sarengo, I then have to ask you: Why would Blizzard go out of their way to add in this crash to their lore? Why would they go out of their way to kill off the entire minority population? It really doesn't add anything to the lore at all.
Reply Quote
I'm still not getting your point. You're saying that all the SC2 characters came from America? Well, 25% of America is not white/black. Out of all the SC2 terran characters, how many aren't white/black?

If your answer to the above is that they all crashed on the Sarengo, I then have to ask you: Why would Blizzard go out of their way to add in this crash to their lore? Why would they go out of their way to kill off the entire minority population? It really doesn't add anything to the lore at all.

I'm saying that you likely don't see very many because the percentage of prisoners out of 32,000 survivors that was Asian was likely very low. Now add to that a lot of interbreeding in the what, roughly 200 years since they've been there. The percentage of pure Asian couples in the ORIGINAL population was almost nil. How big do you think that percentage is after 6-10 generations?

I'm not saying that they went out of their way to do it. I'm saying that based on the lore they originally tossed off (and yeah, someone probably just made up the original back story on their lunch break) there's plenty of logic behind not seeing a lot of Asians around.

It's not a complicated plot by Blizzard. Just the dictates of logic based on a back story they never expected to become such a big deal.
Reply Quote
Who do you think is really working in those barracks and factories huh? ;D (I'm asian, don't be so butthurt)
Reply Quote
Artificer, look up the demographic changes happening in America. The percentage of whites is shrinking every year. America's gonna be a "majority minority" country in the next 50 years.

This is all assuming that "America" even exists in the SC future. The whole "United Earth" thing suggests that globalization is complete, in which case, white people would actually be a minority in most societies. In such a case, mixed race people would be by far the most common, and in most cases, they look distinctively different from white people.

Either way you look at it, if Blizzard really did want to make the lore as deep as possible, they'd have a whole host of Asian, African, Indian, Latino, Mixed characters/accents.

Reply Quote
I think you're the one who's stretching, whacks, but I'm not going to keep fighting.

Congratulations, you're right and I'm wrong, here's a cookie. Move on now?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]