StarCraft® II

READ THIS

I am thinking of creating a game that is sort of like the normal sc2, only with nine races, each with distinct playstyle and lore. Each game ( 8 player)would be either 4v4 or a 3-round tournament between all of the players. Global leaderboards would be kept.

The races would be:

Terran based races:

Dominion- Defense specialized Terrans. Gameplay would be somewhat turtle-style.

Spec Ops- Cloaking and speed specialized terran with high speed land transport. Heavy harrassing play style

Infested Terran- Terran with weaker structures and vastly different unite, has a zombie-like "infestite" unit

Zerg based races:

Mutated Brood- Heavy offensive playstyle zerg, with a resource bounty for enemy units killed.

Bone Brood- Similar to normal zerg, and straightforward to play with access to t1 heavy tanking units but little air.

Third zerg race undecided. Hybrids maybe?

Protoss based races:

Dark Protoss- Protoss with heavy emphasis on casters and cloaking, with invisible pylons and T2 researchable permanent cloaking on all units.

High Protoss- Heavier emphasis on dps and air, with the scrapped "soul hunter" unit available as a semi-wc3 style hero

Rune Protoss- T1 mini collosi, reasonable turtling capabilites and emphasis on massive units.

I have the resources to make this game, but would first like to hear opinions/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Also, don't steal my idea. If you are interested in assisting with any area of production please post.
Edited by jet on 2/22/2011 4:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'll be honest. It sounds like a balancing nightmare.

Typically when RTS's have a large selection of races, it was done over a long period of time with expansions (ala, Dawn of War), or with subtle differentiation between races (ala, Age of Empires).

You are leaning towards the first scenario, but all at once! :P
Reply Quote
Well, I never said it'd be easy. ( or fast, for that matter )
Edited by jet on 2/22/2011 5:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
+1, if you are interested in my testing/balancing services message me in-game, my schedule may be a little tight right now as i am working with two other game creators at this time. If you are willing to be patient i would be happy to help. I specialize in epic projects :)
Reply Quote
Great, I will include you, just be warned that the testing and balancing phases are a long ways away.
Reply Quote
Thats alright, i can wait, and i have a couple other people i am working for right now in testing/balancing. In other words, i will be here when the time comes along
Reply Quote
Great! Anyone else have suggestions or comments or anything?
Reply Quote
How about popping in a few different Heroic like units, 1 only units (like mothership) based on each team's specialization? (one per team)

An idea for 3rd Zerg team, something allowing them to steal or duplicate tech from other teams in their own form?

Something i think would be cool with strategy, army tier games like this would be if unique tech were available to a team depending on races in it, (combining their tech for small tech bonus content)

Honestly i am not caring terribly much bout this, and 2nd two ideas might be complicated to make, but i thought i'd toss ideas out for you to think on.
Reply Quote
Heh, thats what i was thinking about this idea, lota work for one person, I'm working on creating one new team myself, (non important so don't ask), all written out too, just reading through different tutorials others have placed around, trying to understand editor a bit more
Reply Quote
Good luck OP. I'd certainly play it.

Maybe you can get people to help out with the development of the game.
Reply Quote
ummmmmmmmm do you see that this is going to be imbalanced with no way to fix it?
Reply Quote
Not gonna say it will be easy, but balancing will be the most difficult task.

Blizzard is spending a lot of time on just 3 races, imagine how much time 9 races will take especially from one person.
Reply Quote
My advice? Go for it. I am attempting something similar so if you ever need ANYTHING, contact me at Laertessc2@gmail.com, tell me what you need, and i'll give you an explanation.

Things to remember:
*Every race should have it own SC2Mod file, a mod is a dependancy of data. You'll want a separate mod for each race and then attach each mod to one "Meta-mod" which will give you every race in that one mod. The mod can then be comfortably attached to your game.

*The races should be selectable from the loading screen, not preset in-game. This will allow for more options and flexibility, including all modes of play(1v1, 2v2, etc.)

*Its best to make techtrees and ideas before starting on the races, lightening the overall load of the project as you know all the links before starting out(use trial inspiration)

I hope this helps, and remember, the sky is the limit!
Reply Quote
My advice? Go for it. I am attempting something similar so if you ever need ANYTHING, contact me at Laertessc2@gmail.com, tell me what you need, and i'll give you an explanation.

Things to remember:
*Every race should have it own SC2Mod file, a mod is a dependancy of data. You'll want a separate mod for each race and then attach each mod to one "Meta-mod" which will give you every race in that one mod. The mod can then be comfortably attached to your game.

*The races should be selectable from the loading screen, not preset in-game. This will allow for more options and flexibility, including all modes of play(1v1, 2v2, etc.)

*Its best to make techtrees and ideas before starting on the races, lightening the overall load of the project as you know all the links before starting out(use trial inspiration)

I hope this helps, and remember, the sky is the limit!

Thanks I'll keep all that in mind! Also, to all who are saying that it will take a long time to balance, I think that it would be simplified by the fact that each race will only have around 7-8 combat units. The map will probably be a tad imbalanced when it comes out though.
Reply Quote
Hi hopeinmo
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]