Player searching

The topic "forum searching" references an article on search prefixes http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/702413. The article lists a number of prefixes including author:, but does not list a prefix for player:. (Incidentally, that article appears to be completely wrong - a search for author:sixen returns no matches, but a search for sixen returns articles and forum posts as expected).

So the question is: how can you find a particular player's profile if that player has never written an article or posted on the forum or played against you in a match?
Edited by Torsian on 2/25/2011 5:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
Hum, looks like you're right... That's odd, it used to work. It looks like all the other search terms function fine though.

If a player hasn't posted or commented on anything on the site, nor played against you, it's not really possible to find their profile. I mean, it is theoretically possible, if they played an opponent of yours, or they played an opponent of an opponent (and so on) of yours, but otherwise... You can't.
It pains me to say that right now, you can't really search for players. The system that we integrate with here on the web team doesn't provide us an effecient way to index character profiles and this is something that we are deeply ashamed. Having a proper profile search feature for the Starcraft 2 community site is something we haven't forgotten about, but I'm unsure of when we'll be able to have it ready for public consumption.

tl;dr You can't. It sucks and we know it. I'm sorry.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Thanks for the info Straton. I know it would be hard with the current system but being able to find your favorite players would definitely be great for growing Esports. Glad you guys haven't forgotten about it :)
Edited by Archer on 3/2/2011 7:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah... I always wanted to search up Day9 :(
Reply Quote
MVP
03/03/2011 12:06 AMPosted by IronMan
Yeah... I always wanted to search up Day9 :(

Another reason why people can't find accounts without their cID, :P.
Straton (and all), thanks for the replies. It doesn't suck as bad when you know someone is at least listening.

You'd think it wouldn't be hard for the BN team to do a nightly (or even weekly) dump of the list of login IDs for the web team to ETL.

tl;dr I'm a geek, sorry, ignore the above :-)
Reply Quote
MVP
Straton (and all), thanks for the replies. It doesn't suck as bad when you know someone is at least listening.

You'd think it wouldn't be hard for the BN team to do a nightly (or even weekly) dump of the list of login IDs for the web team to ETL.

tl;dr I'm a geek, sorry, ignore the above :-)

I'm sure it's possible, but all the Character Codes have been removed from profiles, so there is really no way to connect Character Code (the # appended to your character) with the Character ID (the # of your sc2 char in order of creation). That info can be gathered through replays, but that's about it, =\. At that point, Blizzard would have to allow us to search players even if they haven't posted on the forums, which would be awesome... but then we would be able to get the name#Code of progamers and stuff... And they'd be harassed even more.
Hmmm interesting. If you type in the name (charector or real id) of someone your friends with into the search bar you can find them.

also for the link in the OP you need to remove the . at the end. Here is the correct link
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/702413
Edited by Archer on 3/9/2011 4:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
Hmmm interesting. If you type in the name (charector or real id) of someone your firends with into the search bar you can find them.

also the link in the OP is broken

Yeah, that's because our friends are taken into account, so if we have them added on SC2 or RealID, they'll show up in the search.

The link in the OP is broken because it's also including the following period, just remove the period, :P.
The plot thickens...

It appears the author:name only works if the name is a blue poster.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/search?q=author%3AStraton+

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/search?q=author%3Adatth

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/search?q=author%3Asixen
Reply Quote
MVP
That's because our names aren't "Sixen" and "Archer", they're "Sixen#935" and "Archer#135", whereas Blizz posters are just "Datth" and "Straton," :P.

However, this thread is saying it doesn't work, which it currently doesn't for whatever reason. Author:Sixen#935 brings up nothing, whereas Sixen#935 does.
Edited by Sixen on 3/9/2011 7:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
Is there some sort of loading screen mod that posts the player your going against's stats and league?
Reply Quote
MVP
09/26/2011 12:41 AMPosted by Slagathor
Is there some sort of loading screen mod that posts the player your going against's stats and league?

I thought 1.4.0 added the league of the players you were playing against? And mods would get you banned, so I would refrain from even looking for one, :P.
09/28/2011 04:51 PMPosted by Sixen

I thought 1.4.0 added the league of the players you were playing against? And mods would get you banned, so I would refrain from even looking for one, :P.

1.4.0 added an icon on the score screen next to each player's name showing their league. Other than that, there's no real way to tell until you've played them...unless you ask nicely, of course :P
Reply Quote
This is all great information, guys. Thanks!

I get other players, whom I've never chatted with, who look me up and pop in on me while I'm playing. I don't mind so much, especially if they have a question about something that I can actually answer for them. I'm just a little surprised that there's not an option in the contextual menu for the chat tabs to view player profile - like in the friends menu.

I know, I know... I could ask the player(s) for their character number... SC2 keeps me fairly busy on top of being socially polite. I just forget or always fall back to thinking I can just look them up after the match... Oh wait, I haven't played a game with them. (LoL)

So of course I'm on the site trying to track them down, but without their number... No joy.

Sorry, long story short...

Why isn't there some kind of chat history option inside our own profiles? We can search Match histories, Leagues & Ladders, as well as Friends that way. Would a Chat History be that much more difficult to implement (in the style of the Leagues & Ladders)? At the very least it would be restricted to our on personal contact with other players; It would allow any player to search for just any player they wanted to, (if the prospect of doing so is an unsavory thought - I could understand popular/pro/famous/dev/programmer players not wanting to receive chat requests from 5,000 people every time they log on to play).

Edited by Sheppard on 11/9/2011 7:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
http://www.sc2ranks.com

click on the search tab

It'll show the player you searched or a list of matches

Click the players name and It will link you here, to bnet, specifically with their entire profile.

If bnet can seriously not integrate it, no shame in asking them how they did it, and how they can link to their profile here on this very website.
Reply Quote
MVP
12/12/2011 06:41 PMPosted by Fortified
If bnet can seriously not integrate it, no shame in asking them how they did it, and how they can link to their profile here on this very website.

Blizzard can do it, they have all the data internally. SC2Ranks does not have the character identifiers, which is the only way we can contact people. Sure, we can look at their profiles, but there's no way to see their ID.
Reply Quote
So...ummm... can we search for player profiles now? It's been quite some time now.
Reply Quote
hihi
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]