StarCraft® II

[Achievement] Aces High in All In, help~!

This is the last achievement I need to master the whole Final series and get the Valerian portrait. It is also the hardest one so far.

My situation is as follow:

I came to this mission from Shatter the Sky, which means I'm facing Nydus Worms in All In. My tactics were placing Siege Tanks and Marauder squads at choke points, using Banshees +2~3 Battlecruisers to deal with Kerrigan, and surround my base with Turrets to kill waves of Overlords.

I've also placed more Siege Tanks on nearly all the cliffs, so I don't suffer from any Worms spawning within my base.

I have survived the first 50% of the mission. Kerrigan has emerged two times, and though I can cut her off, the havoc(namely Ultralisks, Banelings and Hydralisks) after her burrowing always destroys my base. That is when I lose the mission.

There's also another problem: I use Banshees to seal Worms outside my base, but they spawn so fast that I can't catch up to clean them out before my base is overrun.

So I guess a rough plan plus my intinct ain't enough to solve this problem. I would like to know your strategy for this achievement. Please post here with your strategies, build orders, unit mixs, and anything tip that would help.

Thank you.
Edited by Ferik on 2/25/2011 12:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
You've basically got the right strategy, but use marines against kerrigan instead of banshee/cruiser. All marines.

She has an ability that blocks more than ~8 damage from going through (kinda like immortal hardened shield), and if you hadn't noticed she can insta-kill units so your "Kerrigan force" has multiple problems.
Reply Quote
No ghosts are getter for kerrigan Iv found about 10 ghosts with mass nipe owned kerrigan 9 banshees for nytus worms, if you keep having trouble with kerrigan go to air all in and use the hive mind thingy and just MC like 30 broodlords and just !*#@ kerrigan dead in her tracks
Reply Quote
02/25/2011 9:09 AMPosted by Sinistrorsey
No ghosts are getter for kerrigan Iv found about 10 ghosts with mass nipe owned kerrigan 9 banshees for nytus worms, if you keep having trouble with kerrigan go to air all in and use the hive mind thingy and just MC like 30 broodlords and just !*#@ kerrigan dead in her tracks

I wanna try that now. Lol
Reply Quote
All you need to build unit wise is seige tanks for ground, marines for kerrigan, and banshees for the nydus worms. Anything else is unnecessary.

BC's are the worst unit you can use against Kerrigan since she can 1 shot anything and BCs are way too expensive to get 1 shot.

I like to build two additional bunkers on each side. Make sure to leave space between them so you can run your marine ball up to meet Kerrigan before she gets close enough to start killing your tanks.

Siege your tanks behind the bunkers and up on the high ground if you want. Put a psi disruptor on each side of the high ground to slow down the attacks. Cloak, Shift A-move your banshees to each nydus worm when they pop to get them down quickly.

Spend extra minerals on perdition turrets on your front lines, in your base, and around the artifact. Make sure you keep your tanks, bunkers, and banshees repaired. Keep SCVs plentiful around your front line and at your banshee's rally point in your base.

I usually use the artifact when the overlords come, but you save it for later if you're having problems later in the mission. Just make sure to take down the worms ASAP because if you're not on top of those, I guarantee you won't get this achievement.
Reply Quote
Thank you Polaris and especially Burntreez for the delicate plans. I'll try them out.

Also Sinistrorsey, thanks for the~~outrageous tactic, I'll test that ghost+mind control sometime.

Reply Quote
Ferik, abandon the original choke points. Pull your guys back behind the artifact hill, and forget about taking out Nydus worms with banshees. Abandon the supply depots on the left side and let zerg kill those, rebuild supply depots on your right flank. Just build *#!*load of siege tanks, and put them in tight formation behind the artifact hill. And use steamed marines to take out Kerrigan. You don't need anything but siege tanks and marines. Make sure that they are fully upgraded ASAP, you may want to build additinal armory to speed that up. This works for sure, I used this strategy on brutal and did not use artifact once.
Reply Quote
what I did was salvaged the bunkers and put a good 5 or so pederation turrets on each side, making more as they died with 5 scvs on each side with auto repair, with a good 50-10 siege tanks behind. I then put the rest of my resources into putting up more turrets when I had overly excess minerals over gas and banshees. I used the banshees for nydus as well as kerrigan when she got in siege range and just blasted her to dust. Also I had science vessels for repairing of my banshees whenever they got back from a nydus run. I had a constant 22-25 banshee squad.
Edited by Bitmaster on 3/7/2011 2:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Failed. I always get stomped by the wave of Ultralisks following Kerrigans' burrowing.

Also, abandoning chokes points on the left gets me killed even earlier by a seemingly endless ocean of zergilngs/hydralisks.
Reply Quote
02/26/2011 5:56 AMPosted by Boggy
Ferik, abandon the original choke points. Pull your guys back behind the artifact hill, and forget about taking out Nydus worms with banshees. Abandon the supply depots on the left side and let zerg kill those, rebuild supply depots on your right flank. Just build *#!*load of siege tanks, and put them in tight formation behind the artifact hill. And use steamed marines to take out Kerrigan. You don't need anything but siege tanks and marines. Make sure that they are fully upgraded ASAP, you may want to build additinal armory to speed that up. This works for sure, I used this strategy on brutal and did not use artifact once.
Reply Quote
I haven't been able to get the Aces High achivement either. My stratagy was mass siege tanks (about 16 at each entrance), a few bunkers at each entrance filled with marines, and a fleet of about 8 banshees to deal with the nydus worms. The major problem was later in the mission, when the zerg smartened up and started using spore colonies and overseers to negate my banshees cloak. After that, I used them near the artifact for support. At around 90% charge, the bunkers on my north flank were destroyed. At that point, I just moved my remaining siege tanks up to the artifact, allowing my base to fall. I also moved all of my SCVs up to the artifact to keep it repaired. However, by the time Kerigan comes for the last time, my forces were decimated (except for my cloaked banshees, which they couldn't see untill she arrived), and although the energy nova was fully charged, I had already used it once before. So, by 98% charge, it was all over for me but the screaming.

I'm doing annother run on brutal (my previous run was on hard), and I think I'll try taking out the nydus worms (Belly of the Beast) and go either mass vikings or golioths, maybe with a few thors thrown in for mutas and the cannons to use against Kerrigan. Will update when I've tried it.
Reply Quote
I can beat hard nydus without using the artifact once or killing the worms outside my base at all. If you build enough and properly place siege tanks they reach a critical mass where they kill zerg so fast that even as the zerg become clogged at the ramps because of their numbers they still cant get through.

My suggestions would be to place your bunkers behind the starting bunkers so you can get a better concave with your tanks. This gives your tanks on the artifact island and the island to the right of the right side choke more time to soften the zerg. If you got the slowing zerg tech building those are good for this mission. Build them on the cliffs and out in front of your bunkers. I used ghost snipe to kill Kerrigan. Use cloaked banshees to kill nydus and have them kill spore colonies as they come up. Return them to your base for repairs. Place a couple scvs in your bunker tank line.
Reply Quote
Highest I've gotten is 88% using 15 siege tanks behind bunkers on each side. I can stop Kerrigan with marines when she comes around 65% but I can't seem to hold back the massive increase in zerg that happens around that time, mostly because I don't have banshees to kill the nydus worms because I've been too busy building tanks and marines and the nydus worms all have spore crawlers next to them by now anyway. Also, infestors start killing the scvs behind my bunkers, which leads to the destruction of the bunkers, which exposes my tanks and leads to a complete collapse of my base. Ideally I want to save my nova until the really big wave hits around 85%, but I can't seem to hold on to it longer than 70% no matter how hard I try.

Maybe it would help if I had planetary fortresses and science vessels or if I had picked the air route instead. I heard there was a really good strat using planetary fortresses and then just repairing them faster than they take damage.

Edit: Yep, walling off with PFs works. But if you don't kill the nydus worms with banshees you'll run out of gas around 60% charge just from the amount of repairing being performed. So what I did was use banshees (shift click) up to about 60%, at which point it got too hot for the banshees. Then I waited it out with mass tanks until 80% and used my nova to reset the map. After that, I somehow managed to hold out for the last 20% with the gas I had already stockpiled - still too hot for the banshees. At the end I had to spam mercs to hold the line. It was pretty intense in the last 5% when worms started popping up next to the artifact. But Jackson's Revenge saved the day.
Edited by Torloch on 3/7/2013 1:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you still need help getting this achievement, Bit's strategy was the one I used on my Brutal run through, and I only didn't get the Aces High achievement because I used the nova an extra time due to misclick. If you destroy the mercenary building and pile up tons of siege tanks right underneath the hill, and build perdition turrets or planetary fortresses on either side of the siege tank ball, you should be fine. I used marines to kill Kerrigan but it was extremely difficult to to micro correctly because of her weird psi storm that has larger AOE and damage. This ability will kill marines instantly. Because of this the earlier suggestion to use ghosts might be a better choice, with some banshees as backup.

On my brutal run through with around 50 siege tanks I didn't even need to hunt down the nydus worms. The waves of units got extremely intense, but as long as I had SCVs to repair the planetary fortresses, I was fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]