StarCraft® II

Graphics Card fried...

I installed SCII on Tues night after release, and played that evening with my computer well within the specs for the game... until it appears my graphics card fried. My computer crashed to a blue screen of death and I wound up with a whirring and burning coming from in my computer and had to yank the power cord out of the back to shut it down... then I couldn't get signal to my monitor any longer, though the boot sequence sounds like it's going correctly otherwise. I still need to test things, but I'm pretty sure my graphics card blew out. I had a sinking suspicion the game did it, but being a rather loyal Blizzard fan figured it was probably just faulty hardware on my end...

except I just starting reading that a significant number of other people are having similar problems, and that this might have been a known issue regarding hyper rendering during the inter-game light detail screens: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501356

Why was this not addressed already before release, and why were there no breaking news warnings or updates to fix this before people started having damage done to their hardware? My Nvidia GeForce cost me more than $300 to get a good card that was great for gaming... Blizzard are you doing anything or have plans to compensate people for the damage you've created?
Edited by Lorsaire on 7/30/2010 11:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You're not the only one, my card died yesterday playing SCII

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/224842749
Reply Quote
Yes there has been issues with overheated GPU while playing Starcraft 2, I'm not sure why but I think it has something to do with PhysX and how Blizzard programmed NVIDIA cards cause my ATI card never overheated when trying to play Starcraft 2 (I get disconnected from B.net that's why I wrote try lol.)
Reply Quote
Were you not watching your GPU temps? It is not a SC issue, it is a video card issue. The game may work a GPU hard, but it is the Hardwares fault for not shutting down before it fires. :P
Reply Quote

Why was this not addressed already before release, and why were there no breaking news warnings or updates to fix this before people started having damage done to their hardware? My Nvidia GeForce cost me more than $300 to get a good card that was great for gaming... Blizzard are you doing anything or have plans to compensate people for the damage you've created?

I have a strange suspicion there's something you've done that wouldn't allow you to go to the manufacturer to get a replacement.
Reply Quote
I am sure glad Blizzard did a beta test to make sure that problems such as overheating video cards did not occur. Otherwise many people would have serious hardware problems post-release.

The above statement would be one I would love to have made 4 days after Starcraft 2's release. Unfortunately it appears that the REAL beta test that occurred was a useless waste of time. Therefore the above statement cannot exist as truth on this day.
Reply Quote
This story is a little old, but may be of interest.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2360991,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag%2Fbreakingnews+%28PCMag.com+Breaking+News%29

Reply Quote
The worst thing strarcraft can do to your video card is to use all the available ressources and power, thus heating it up. But then, if you have lets say a cheap video card or an inadequetate cooling, you should blame your card or yourself, not the game.

You might also want to open your case once in a while and clean up your fans and heatsinks, as you might know,the dust is insulating.
Edited by Biliboy on 7/30/2010 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have a strange suspicion there's something you've done that wouldn't allow you to go to the manufacturer to get a replacement.

There's nothing I did to it, I bought the thing through Dell when I wanted to play DoWII earlier this year, had their technician come and install it, and I've never fooled around with it otherwise.
Reply Quote
The worst thing strarcraft can do to your video card is to use all the available ressources and power, thus heating it up. But then, if you have lets say a cheap video card or an inadequetate cooling, you should blame your card or yourself, not the game.

You might also want to open your case once in a while and clean up your fans and heatsinks, as you might know,the dust is insulating.

I cleaned all the dust out of it actually the week before, that shouldn't have been the problem.
Reply Quote

I cleaned all the dust out of it actually the week before, that shouldn't have been the problem.

Sir... is that in your warranty?
Reply Quote
This story is a little old, but may be of interest.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2360991,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag%2Fbreakingnews+%28PCMag.com+Breaking+News%29

Bleck, I have no idea if this is one of the drivers I was using...
Reply Quote
Sir... is that in your warranty?

I don't think there's anything problematic with opening up the case and blowing in Dust Off. I didn't fiddle with anything.
Reply Quote

It's weird how many people have dusty computers all at once and right around the time of the release of Starcraft 2... -_-
Reply Quote
When was the last time you updated you drivers? Also, I don't think there's a company on earth that would void a warranty for you removing dust from your computer.

What specific card did you have?
Reply Quote
i dont know, for some reason my GPU starts hweating up the most when im on the ship in between missions, while upgrading and talking to all the people seems to overwork my card the most for some reason, which should normally .

This. I can run any other new game with no heating issues. The bridge of the Hyperion causes massive heat for some reason, even with my fps at a steady 63.

In the meantime I've taken to alt-tabbing when I'm taking a break and just spending as little time as possible on the bridge.
Reply Quote
Do you have Vsync on, otherwise your GPU will work harder than it needs to. You will get screen tearing if you run higher than your refresh rate and overstress you system for no good reason.

Reply Quote
Yes Blizzard has acknowledged that SC2 tends to cause some systems to overheat.

The real issue lies in that these systems have inadequate air flow.

most of the systems i read about that have experienced a piece of hardware that has fired due to SC2 are systems that have inadequate air flow.

This game put more of a demand on my system than theirs and i don't have any overheating issues. I have more than adequate air flow though.

I blame the user, not the game.
Reply Quote
Yes Blizzard has acknowledged that SC2 tends to cause some systems to overheat.

The real issue lies in that these systems have inadequate air flow.

most of the systems i read about that have experienced a piece of hardware that has fired due to SC2 are systems that have inadequate air flow.

This game put more of a demand on my system than theirs and i don't have any overheating issues. I have more than adequate air flow though.

I blame the user, not the game.

Ugh, no, use the fps command on the bridge, it spikes to over 300 at times. Completely unnecessary for it to go that high. They just didn't put a cap on it for some reason.

There is no reason for me being able to run BC2 on the highest settings at 1920x1080 and have the GPU go up maybe 5-10 degrees and the SC2 "menu" causes heat warnings.

Hardware specific problems exist in pretty much all games, case in point...Alien Swarm released with a bug that crashed only people with GTX 260s, they have since patched it and it's now fine.
Edited by Flandez on 7/30/2010 1:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]