StarCraft® II

Starcraft II Multiplayer Units Missing??..?

I dont know if that has been posted or not. But I currently just beaten Single Player, Good ending and all loved everything about it. So i decided to play online and when i played a few games i realized units were missing and WHY? Ex. Science Vessel , Wraith , Medics , Goliaths , Firebats , Fire Turrets. For the Terran i havent put much detail into other races but all those units are fun for online and are missing?? Unlike from first starcraft where all those existed why are these units not in multiplayer? or do you have to do something special to get them.
Reply Quote
They've talked about this issue in interviews quite a bit. Basically, they didn't want single player constrained by the requirements for balance that they applied to multiplayer. In the multiplayer game, top level competitive players can abuse unit abilities that nevertheless might be a lot of fun to use in a single player campaign, so they basically separated the two and let the single player campaign include extra abilities, different units, and all kinds of stuff that they'd never include in multiplayer because it would break balance.
Reply Quote
But how are goliaths / firebats going to break the balance!? zerg and protoss got their advantages fire bats are really usefull against zerg and goliaths good AA.... basically the only portable AA thats really worth getting.
Reply Quote
Terran is already ridiculously well rounded.

They don't need any help against air or ground.
Reply Quote
Clearly you don't understand balance. Go create your own map, and try to balance it. Its a lot of work!
Reply Quote
The main reason is because of units having the exact same function. Firebats and predators didn't make it because Hellions do the exact same thing. Science vessel isn't there because of the Raven filling it's role. Vikings are the new Goliath. See what I'm getting at?
Reply Quote
To pick your example, there are pretty good balance reasons to delay the ability to get Hellions for Terran until a factory is up, rather than providing Firebats as a Barracks + Tech Lab unit. If Firebats were available, you could Firebat rush Zerg players on a smaller map and they'd have no recourse at all. Zerglings dead, drones dead, gg.
Reply Quote
Terran is already ridiculously well rounded.

They don't need any help against air or ground.

Exactly they dont need any more help they have everything they need.
Reply Quote
It just sounds like a ton of terran haters. I miss them.
Reply Quote
the terrans would have so many more units than then other races, alot of those units are specialized or cheap to make giving the terran a unfair advantage
Reply Quote
It just sounds like a ton of terran haters. I miss them.

You realize you just bumped a thread from 2010?

Also, back in 2010, zerg was underpowered. However this changed soon after with patch changes (e.g. reaper nerf) and meta game shifts.
Reply Quote
still, its the nostalgia and the fact that we've been playing brood war since 98' and now we've got a different set up to get accustomed to. I guess there will be those who will shift between playing SC2 and BW. I'll definitely be one of them, SC2 has a great Story and is overall better than its predecessor but it can't hold a candle against the nostalgia that it brings. Blizzard wanted to move ahead and some of us would rather be content behind with BW. Not a bad but it goes to show that classics have staying power.
Reply Quote
Balance, are we not really being taken for a ride here. Yes pro players might use them to rush or something else diabolical, but you can limit in the multiplayer, hit points, speed, how long it takes to cook these units and all kinds of other balance techniques. Blizzard has had what 15 years now to go from SC1 to where they are in SC2, and they can't do a little balancing. What do they really spend their time on, it takes forever to get out even an expansion. I think all units should be available to the multiplayer. FYI were not just catering to pro players anyway, millions play this for entertainment, often against just the bots, and not other human teams. That at least should give you access on both sides to the units in AI games. Heck, if I had it set to harder on the AI, and it used some specialized unit to beat me, I'd learn more about defending it next time. I think it's time for some significant balancing patches, at the very least when the third in the trilogy is released. FYI even if the balance is not there in the beginning, adding a few layers of armor, a little speed, or some splash damage can fix most anything. Give us players back our units, after the missions are played once or twice at different levels, the multi is all we have left, and I'd like to use all of it.
Reply Quote
Extension mods. Gotta love 'em.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]