StarCraft® II

[Guide] Lost Viking

I completely disagree, screw the plasma get 2 side missile upgrades and 2 drones so that your spamming out 8 missiles at a time...i completed level 9 and had over 500k points and I just quit because I had 7 lives and 20+ bombs left, it makes it incredibly easy to get the achivements.

Plasma is death. Not to mention, how are you going to consistently get 100% level clears with Plasma? o.O

to each their own I suppose, I specifically went plasma for quickest boss and midboss kills under the theory that those should be the only losses of life you should have, but i suppose i'll play through with the side missiles and see how that goes.
Reply Quote
I'm a fan for the double side missile over double plasma. For them mid-bosses side missles are a plus because you can actually attack both the mid-bosses at the same time where as plasma shoots em down one at a time, although the plasma does hurt more for a bit of a faster kill but with rapid pounding on the space bar the side missiles can kill fairly quick as well.

Main reason I like the side missiles more is because I can kill 100% of the targets on each level so easily with them. It allows for me to get a higher score earlier on. I actually hit the 500k mark in the middle of level 9. The dangerous side to the side missiles though is on the zerg level when you get a screen full of them bat things that fire off a 4 shot spread on death. A couple of close calls dodging those but that's what you got bombs for I guess. Bomb firing not only clears off the targets but also clears off any combatant fire from the screen as well.
Reply Quote
Using the following strat is the best choice.

However looking at your plan continously and avoiding the attacks is far superior.

Do not look at where your shooting. Just focus your attention on your plane you and you will 100% more successful.
Reply Quote
Nice guide.
Reply Quote
I actually thought dual spread missiles were best for me, plasma is much harder because you have to move around to kill everything, it's harder to dodge. I just beat it, haven't got gold or anything though.
Reply Quote
I completely suck at this, can barely make it to the Carrier.

How long should it take to kill the terratron assuming you don't have to restart?
Reply Quote
Hmmm, just realized I was holding, not tapping space, will try that and see if it helps.
Reply Quote
I found that using side missiles made the game a lot easier for me. Playing with plasma was just impossible for me =\
Reply Quote
I completely disagree, screw the plasma get 2 side missile upgrades and 2 drones so that your spamming out 8 missiles at a time...i completed level 9 and had over 500k points and I just quit because I had 7 lives and 20+ bombs left, it makes it incredibly easy to get the achivements.

I disagree; if you have 2 drone up then plasma x2 is the best speciallyl for boss and I woulnt use missile x2 on level 2 5 8 11 etc as it just make it harder to dodge all those thing exploding.At first I went with missle then I switched to drone +plasmax2 and got it in 2 try
Reply Quote
10+ try now.
Mashing space helped with the first level.
But now I can't get past the second level, just waves of green balls coming at me when I decimate the drones...
Reply Quote
I always used side shots. Avoided plasmas like the plague. It's pretty simple: Get 2 drones, 2 side shots and you should wait until every other power-up turns into a bomb. On zerg levels you can apply bombs liberally when you're surrounded by blown up scourge. On any boss you can apply bombs liberally when you fear getting hit. Extremely easy.
Reply Quote
Apparently for almost everyone else it is...
This just causes me frustration...

Do I need to have the campaign set to brutal for full points? Or what was this talk about difficulty levels?
Reply Quote
After you beat terra-tron, you just continue playing the game on a higher difficulty. It's basically protoss > zerg > terran > repeat.
Reply Quote
Ugh...as if it wasn't hard enough already...
Reply Quote
Anyone else having problems with control? Seems that my left arrow key won't work at the same time as my up or down arrow key, but my right arrow key will (i.e., I can go diagonally to the right, but not to the left).

I'd think it was hardware failure, but the keys work fine in other applications, and even here they all work separately, just not in tandem.
Edited by Gargamel on 8/2/2010 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I went back and played with the side missiles. While you may disagree I still feel that it is not the best weapon to go with. I wrote this guide with the intent on helping the people who are having the most trouble with this, not for speed grabbing points. However I will acknowledge they are better than I thought and will amend my original post in which I put them down.

While the side missiles might be better for speed runs, I feel that the plasma is better for survival which is the goal. My reasoning being that the scourge on the zerg level present a much bigger threat when you pop them in a more spread out area. the more you pop in different areas the more spread their bullets will cover, if you attack in straight lines it ends with you having to barely move or not even at all.

I also did notice about a third of a second of input lag, and I believe that this is either a coding limitation or "working as intended". additionally the diagonals seem to be the same way.

Is anyone not having input lag, or any other amount of time other than a third?

Please upvote if this guide helped you out. Other conversations regarding any other lost viking mechanics are welcome too.
Edited by Everfeather on 8/2/2010 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Side missiles is generally a million (1 000 000) times easier than plasma is. Side missiles is easy mode, plasma is hard mode. Side missiles lets you get 100% completion without even trying, lets you kill multiple minibosses from basically anywhere at one, and lets you fire at the level boss 100% of the time, while plasma does none of that.

Against the Carrier, side missiles are wonderfully efficient at taking out interceptors. Against the Leviathan, it allows you to fire at the boss even during its frontal attacks. Against the Terratron is pretty much the only time where I'd say that plasma has a small edge, since you don't need to move much from its front so the side missiles' advantage doesn't apply much.
Edited by Thelo on 8/4/2010 2:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyone else have problems with input lag? It's not very much, but it's enough to make it pretty much unplayable for me. The rest of Starcraft 2 runs great, but there's quite a bit of delay from when I push a key to when the ship actually moves.

Yes. The input lag makes this completely unplayable. I barely made it to the carrier with 1 life left but I was not able to do anything to it before it killed me due to lag. I could see this being a fun game if it was fixed, but in its present state it is not playable.

I don't consider myself bad at shooters, in fact Ikaruga (which I have for the Gamecube) is one of my favorite games, and I have a ton of old arcade shooters on MAME. Honestly, this would be best if you could use some kind of controller to play it...but keyboard play would be passable if it would actually respond. And it's not my computer because I have no issues playing on Ultra without lag.
Reply Quote
Anyone else have problems with input lag? It's not very much, but it's enough to make it pretty much unplayable for me. The rest of Starcraft 2 runs great, but there's quite a bit of delay from when I push a key to when the ship actually moves.

Yes. The input lag makes this completely unplayable. I barely made it to the carrier with 1 life left but I was not able to do anything to it before it killed me due to lag. I could see this being a fun game if it was fixed, but in its present state it is not playable.

I don't consider myself bad at shooters, in fact Ikaruga (which I have for the Gamecube) is one of my favorite games, and I have a ton of old arcade shooters on MAME. Honestly, this would be best if you could use some kind of controller to play it...but keyboard play would be passable if it would actually respond. And it's not my computer because I have no issues playing on Ultra without lag.

If it's unplayable with the input lag then how are people beating it?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]