StarCraft® II

Warhammer 40K =/= starcraft

Terran Dominion and. Imperium: Yes, the dominion has an empereor, but do they worship him and yell his name while charging into battle? No

Zerg and Tyrranid: THis might seem likely, but Star wars and Startrek also have their own swarming races. Tyrranids weren't first, and they are not the last.

Protoss and eldar: So untrue, I'm not even going to comment.
Reply Quote
03/16/2011 10:10 AMPosted by Ironspider
Protoss and eldar: So untrue, I'm not even going to comment

alright alright....
tau and protoss XD

serious comment: ...derp, there are none, i agree, especially considering Warhammer (the original-er version, i think) pretty much took from lord of the rings books or something

but we do need orcs in space like Warhammer 40k
Reply Quote
The basic of the basics are similar, like how terran infantry look similar to space marines, and the zerg and tyranid swarms. Other than those, no.
Reply Quote
03/16/2011 10:35 AMPosted by Newbzors

Actually, when starcraft was announced, it used the Warcraft 2 engine. This casued fan backlash, and the term "Orks in space" was often used.

In BW, click on Artarnis a bunch of times and he says, "This is not Warcraft in Space" and "What do I look like, an ork?". And the famous "Stop poking me!"
Edited by Ironspider on 3/23/2011 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It really shows more in the unit design then it does the actual story. (Also Protoss do have a lot in common with Eldar, both warp in, are both nearly extinct races, both use magic-like psionic abilities. Heck, look at a Protoss Zealot's face and then an Eldar Guardian's helmet)

Hormagaunt: http://www.serenadawn.com/NID-Hormagaunt2.jpg

Zergling: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/d/dc/Zergling_SC1_Art1.jpg

There are definitely design similarities.

Hydralisk: http://homepage.mac.com/cheethorne/Starcraft/images/hydralisk.gif

Warrior: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/3/3f/Tyranid_warrior.jpg/180px-Tyranid_warrior.jpg

From the waist up Hydralisks and Tyranid Warriors are very similiar. Oh and of course. . . The -new- Carnifex doesn't look like the Ultralisk. But lets take a look at the -old- Carnifex design.

Old Carnifex: http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Tyranid_Carnifex_1.gif

Ultralisk: http://ui18.gamespot.com/1297/ultrahires_2.jpg

Pretty much change the face and give it some rear legs, and viola.

Honestly there's a lot of original and different units that don't overlap with 40k. Such as the Dragoon, Defiler, so on so fourth. . . But it's hard to ignore the ones that do.

Vindicare Assassin: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1250133_99060108077_INQDHVindicareexitusriflemain_445x319.jpg

Ghost: http://media.curse.com/Curse.Projects.ProjectImages/26051/24947/Ghost.jpg

Not that I think it really matters. Even if SC -did- take its inspiration from 40k, it still went its own way with it. So it's become it's own original game, and a mighty nice one at that.

Reply Quote
Dominion are not like the Imperium. You are forcing a comparison. Dominion are more the f*ggots that kill people, pretend to help people. Imperium is the "light", noble space marines, self-sacrificing imperial guard etc.
Reply Quote
Zerg are like tyranid's mixed with borg from star trek

Tyranids didn't assimilate other creatures into their own like Zerg do, which is their borg twist. The zerg also adapt very quickly to changing situations by evolving.

It's hard for me to see what protoss were inspired from, the closest thing I could say is vorlons from babylon 5, protoss are pretty unique in sci fi.

Terrans, not very unique, just futuristic humans using conventional tactics. I can see marines being inspired by space marines, but thats about it. Just to note, a space marine would kill at least 20 marines with relative ease. If a space marine was an in-game unit, it would have +5 armor 50 damage attack and 250 hp
Reply Quote
03/26/2011 3:05 AMPosted by Venomsong
Dominion are not like the Imperium. You are forcing a comparison. Dominion are more the f*ggots that kill people, pretend to help people. Imperium is the "light", noble space marines, self-sacrificing imperial guard etc.
The Imperial Guard has it's share of conniving douche bags who would (and have) gladly sacrifice an entire planet for the sake of a promotion, and the like. Read some of the novels; there are some real villainous douchebags in 40K.
Reply Quote
Imperial guards are just people taken from their homes and families and forced to fight the enemies of the emperor. Each one would love to go home and be with their families and some rebel for this reason and/for the dark gods.
I love chaos space marines!!!
No marines off of star craft are not like space marines off of war hammer 40k marine off of star craft are criminals, space marines in war hammer 40k are super soldiers that are loyal only to their emperor.
Reply Quote
Imperial guards are just people taken from their homes and families and forced to fight the enemies of the emperor. Each one would love to go home and be with their families and some rebel for this reason and/for the dark gods.
I love chaos space marines!!!
No marines off of star craft are not like space marines off of war hammer 40k marine off of star craft are criminals, space marines in war hammer 40k are super soldiers that are loyal only to their emperor.

TRAITOR. You must DIE for your hearsay!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
03/23/2011 01:14 PMPosted by Daggoth
It really shows more in the unit design then it does the actual story. (Also Protoss do have a lot in common with Eldar, both warp in, are both nearly extinct races, both use magic-like psionic abilities. Heck, look at a Protoss Zealot's face and then an Eldar Guardian's helmet)

protoss arent i danger of extinction, hving an entire planet fully saturated means your doing well

in fact considering how they live, theres no reason to say they dont reproduce relatively fast, not like there gonna run out of sun to eat

Well, to be honest by the end of BW we're led to believe they're nearly extinct, but by the final mission of "Utter Darkness" there's more protoss then we thought, so yeah now they're actually pretty far from being extinct.

Still there's other similarities. Two psionic based races that use psionic powers akin to magic, going so far as to create violent psionic storms, having seers capable of seeing the future, living exceptionally long and being culturally split into two sects. (High Templar and Dark Templar - Eldar to Dark Eldar) Oh and the rampant use of warp-in technology to quickly reinforce on the battlefield. All are very hard to ignore similarities.

It's also very hard to ignore their relation with humanity. (Both Eldar and Protoss thinking themselves superior to humanity and seeing them as primitive degenerates, with the given exception of those that know Raynor.)

Vehicles look nothing alike though, they really went their own way with the vehicles of SC.

Reply Quote
Well the human faction in Warhammer 40k is different from the Dominon. They're 100 times worse. They're mindlessly xenophobic and try to make everyone believe a man who needs a throne to live is a god. And it's a mindless Cracksap world so no suprise there. Yes, I hate that kind of series.
Reply Quote
04/08/2011 07:51 PMPosted by Chaos
Well, to be honest by the end of BW we're led to believe they're nearly extinct, but by the final mission of "Utter Darkness" there's more protoss then we thought, so yeah now they're actually pretty far from being extinct.

I don't recall the Protoss being in that bad of a shape at the end of BW. Sure, Kerrigan had Duran blow up an entire city and Artanis's fleet was defeated at Omega, but they didn't imply the Protoss were an endangered species or anything. They had to flee their homeworld and must now make themselves a new home on Shakuras.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 4/9/2011 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think protoss and eldars aren't copied from starcraft or warhammer, it's just sci-fi. If I told you: create an extraterrestrial race. The first thing you will think is: a super advance and really old race who can teleport(warp-in)itself and have magic(psionic) abilities, and are immortals or live thousands of years.
Reply Quote
03/23/2011 07:15 AMPosted by Ironspider

Actually, when starcraft was announced, it used the Warcraft 2 engine. This casued fan backlash, and the term "Orks in space" was often used.

In BW, click on Artarnis a bunch of times and he says, "This is not Warcraft in Space" and "What do I look like, an ork?". And the famous "Stop poking me!"

Blizzard orcs are spelled with a "c"
Reply Quote
40k is by far a much more grimdark setting and is basically the slow and steady dwindling of the races until either the nids eat everyone or Necrons finally get off their butts
Reply Quote
40k is by far a much more grimdark setting and is basically the slow and steady dwindling of the races until either the nids eat everyone or Necrons finally get off their butts

Warhammer 40K is a grim series to read. Humanity is largely stagnant, losing planets at least as fast as it gains new ones. Enemies are everywhere. And the worst part of it all is that everything points towards the end of mankind as a race. The Necrons are made only to kill, it seems, and they are incredibly tough and ruthless (according to what I have read, the reports of encounters with them are few and easy to cover up because so few people survive such incidents). The Tyranids can use anything made of biological material, so if you kill a bunch, the others will recover the material and use it to remake themselves. They are effectively endless. The Orks fight amongst themselves or else they would have conquered Terra by this point. Chaos constantly draws humans towards itself, corrupting them and invading countless planets. It was what caused the Horus Heresy in the first place that split the Imperium.
For all intents and purposes, really, the Imperium of Man is doomed, unless they completely change things up in some new set of books. And people still read those books all the same. My personal favourites were the Ciaphas Cain series and the various books on the Space Wolves. I still wish that there was an omnibus or two for the Raven Guard, but I haven't seen it yet.
Edited by Palamani on 1/17/2013 4:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 04:11 PMPosted by Palamani
The Necrons are made only to kill

Didn't they change this? I believe they are no longer 'mindless machines'(at least most of them.).
Reply Quote
Didn't they change this? I believe they are no longer 'mindless machines'(at least most of them.).

This is possible, as I don't have access to all of the books. Few of the ones I do have even mention the Necrons, so I mostly know about them from the Ciaphas Cain books. As far as "he" knows (the entire series is essentially his memoirs), that was what they were, and there were no obvious signs of any attempts by them to communicate, negotiate, use diplomacy, or much of anything else.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]