StarCraft® II

zerg counter for mass stalkers?

My friend plays zerg and asked me what i thought would counter mass stalkers. My first thought was "why would a toss player go mass stalkers vs zerg anyway". After that i told him to just put on early pressure and force the toss to throw up some cannons while zerg expands. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
03/17/2011 5:41 PMPosted by Shikipride
My friend plays zerg and asked me what i thought would counter mass stalkers. My first thought was "why would a toss player go mass stalkers vs zerg anyway". After that i told him to just put on early pressure and force the toss to throw up some cannons while zerg expands. Thoughts?

toss puts zealot to block, and sentry for FF

you can't pressure that
Reply Quote
Okay, if you are so smart, how about you propose something that would work?
Reply Quote
I think Hydra/zergling would be the optimal units. Mass stalkers aren't like good in a fight though, it's just blink that can be dangerous. It can be hard to engage them on your terms, and they're always trying to sneak in behind your mineral line. Ummm, fungal growth prevents blink so an infestor would be handy.
Reply Quote
mass stalker is the most popular toss build that is the easiest to beat because everything except roaches counter it pretty hard.. just dont let him expo and macro up and then push out with 200/200 stalkers.

if he makes fast cyber core you can speedling harass and end the game.

if he walls off with a few zealots you leave a few ling scouts and expand macro him to death.

mass lings > stalkers
ling muta > stalkers
hydra > stalker
ultra > stalker
brood > stalkers

just get upgrades too
Reply Quote

mass lings > stalkers

Maybe but if you put mass stalkers stalkers win.
03/17/2011 5:58 PMPosted by CoolStoryBro
ling muta > stalkers

no mass stalkers would win
hydra > stalker
ultra > stalker

these are units that can counter them decent

brood > stalkers

micro will beat brood lords since 10 dps vs 14 dps stalkers in lead and blink will make brood loose.
Reply Quote
ling muta > stalkers

obviously youve never seen speedlings vs stalkers. speedlings rip them apart.

I can understand zergs concerns about forcefield and colossi being overpowered but stalkers are one of the weakest units in the game and are countered by virtually every zerg unit. banelings and mutalisks are really the only two zerg units that dont counter stalkers but neither one of those units is particularly strong vs protoss anyway.
Edited by Khobai on 3/17/2011 6:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
toss puts zealot to block, and sentry for FF

you can't pressure that

Send your overlord close to his entrance (not too close!) and get some fast roaches.
Then move your overlord in and you can shoot from the low ground.
Reply Quote
03/17/2011 6:39 PMPosted by MorgnFreeman

To mass enough speedlings to beat mass stalkers you need something like 400 larvae lying around, assuming you're not engaging him in the middle of Shattered temple where its completey open.

Its true that in terms of minerals lings are very cheap, but in terms of larvae they're the most expensive unit we have in terms of counting mass builds.

We get 2 Zerglings for 1 larvae, how is that expensive in terms of larvae? it's ridiculously easy to mass them, and with the speed upgrade they can easily surround most anything on the ground.
Reply Quote
Mass stalkers with ups? blink? what map? do they push when he has an expo up? how many is he usually trying to deal with?

In any case, creep is very much your friend.
Reply Quote
ling muta > stalkers

I can understand zergs concerns about forcefield and colossi being overpowered but stalkers are one of the weakest units in the game and are countered by virtually every zerg unit. banelings and mutalisks are really the only two zerg units that dont counter stalkers but neither one of those units is particularly strong vs protoss anyway.

See, there is this upgrade called blink with an insanely low research time thats dirt cheap...
Reply Quote
03/17/2011 5:50 PMPosted by Shikipride
Okay, if you are so smart, how about you propose something that would work?

he doesnt do that, he just goes around saying why things wont work.
Reply Quote
mass mutus only beat stalkers if numbers in low 20 in 100 vs 100 stalkers win.

plus speedlings only win if they are large number and stalkers is also low numbers we talking about mass which is above pop 50 + 25 unless you have 400 but thats going to happen. plus they buttle neck that you lose so much just to kill that 50 pop
Reply Quote
03/17/2011 8:13 PMPosted by Turbofrost
We get 2 Zerglings for 1 larvae, how is that expensive in terms of larvae? it's ridiculously easy to mass them, and with the speed upgrade they can easily surround most anything on the ground.

What he means is mass zergling is the most larva demanding.
Say for example you have 2000 minerals and 1000 gas.
For making pure zergling that means you need enough hatcheries with queens for a total of 40 larva, since 2000 minerals divided by 50 per zergling pair equals 40 larva.
However, if you massed hydras instead, that's only 20 larva needed since 2000/100 = 20.

He means it's demanding on larva, meaning you need more hatcheries up to spend all your money on zerglings.

Reply Quote
if it's just pure stalkers

then roach/hydra is extremely effective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOl6WJCmASw

granted the zerg player loses.. but that's cause of the forcefields and the collosi

but if there were none of that lol mass stalkers would be owned to roaches/hydra
Reply Quote
03/17/2011 8:48 PMPosted by Nova

What he means is mass zergling is the most larva demanding.
Say for example you have 2000 minerals and 1000 gas.
For making pure zergling that means you need enough hatcheries with queens for a total of 40 larva, since 2000 minerals divided by 50 per zergling pair equals 40 larva.
However, if you massed hydras instead, that's only 20 larva needed since 2000/100 = 20.

He means it's demanding on larva, meaning you need more hatcheries up to spend all your money on zerglings.

Well yeah, Zerglings are the cheapest unit in the game, it only makes sense. If that's the case, then I'd say just vary your army to get the most out of your resources.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]