StarCraft® II

Is bronze this hard to get out of?

Hey everyone, i am not in a good mood right now, primarily because of huge frustrations that keep popping up from lack of promotions or even progress in my laddering.

I play multiplayer a LOT, probably not nearly as much as some people but still a fair bit, and i want to get into silver SO bad, for a few reasons:

1) If i was silver, i could make fun of my friends and taunt them with my superior position

2) I would get at least a shred of respect on the forums. Every time i comment on something and someone disagrees with me, they can just say "Your bronze" and the debate is over.

3) I have had starcraft since, like last november, and the fact i am still in the bronze league depresses me

With those strong motivations behind me, i ladder constantly, trying as hard as i can. But nothing seems to happen. I haven't even faced any silver level opponents, so i don't think the game is even recognizing that i am doing well. I get big win streaks, i have something like a 3:1 loss ratio, i play custom games and i beat silver/gold there, but somehow i am not worthy of getting out of bronze. I am top in my division (check my profile if you don't believe me) and i do practically everything i can, but i am still stuck here.

I really want to get out, as i said before, but promotions seem random and spontaneous, as i have a protoss friend who was promoted to silver practically out of the blue, and a terran friend who is like, rank 71 in his division but faces silvers, and i have really no way to track my progress. Anybody who has been in my scenario or who has been promoted, can they PLEASE tell me how long it took them to get out of bronze, and what i have to do.

Also, is bronze the hardest league to get out of? My protoss friend i mentioned earlier who was randomly promoted to silver got into gold like, two weeks after, so is it easier after you get out of bronze? Because i can see laddering become a very painful experience if i have to go through this much stress to go up one level.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, can i please have no one saying something really vague and unspecific like "you will get better, its not too hard" as i know your trying to be encouraging and offer help but i need someone to confirm or give me some information on this situation. And i am aware that "destiny proved you can get out of bronze with mass queens" or "day 9 could help you with this" and i have watched and looked at all the videos and posts possible.
Edited by Ironman on 4/14/2011 7:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Getting out of bronze is simply being able to do the following:

-Execute a basic opening (you're zerg, so that "fixed" opening stops very early... something like speedling expand is pretty safe in all matchups at your level)

-Never supply block yourself. EVER. But if you can avoid supply blocking until 42, its a start.

-Make a lot of workers.

-And the one lower level (hell, up to diamond =P) have issues with: spend ALLL YOUR MONEY. Always. Never go above 500-700 mineral (ideally never get close).

If you do those things, its actually impossible to stay in bronze. I helped my wife get out of bronze. The above is really all it takes. If you do that, you'll win virtually every game until you start playing against gold players. Only then will you have to learn anything beyond that.
Edited by Shados on 4/14/2011 7:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey everyone, i am not in a good mood right now, primarily because of huge frustrations that keep popping up from lack of promotions or even progress in my laddering.

I play multiplayer a LOT, probably not nearly as much as some people but still a fair bit, and i want to get into silver SO bad, for a few reasons:

1) If i was silver, i could make fun of my friends and taunt them with my superior position

2) I would get at least a shred of respect on the forums. Every time i comment on something and someone disagrees with me, they can just say "Your bronze" and the debate is over.

3) I have had starcraft since, like last november, and the fact i am still in the bronze league depresses me

With those strong motivations behind me, i ladder constantly, trying as hard as i can. But nothing seems to happen. I haven't even faced any silver level opponents, so i don't think the game is even recognizing that i am doing well. I get big win streaks, i have something like a 3:1 loss ratio, i play custom games and i beat silver/gold there, but somehow i am not worthy of getting out of bronze. I am top in my division (check my profile if you don't believe me) and i do practically everything i can, but i am still stuck here.

I really want to get out, as i said before, but promotions seem random and spontaneous, as i have a protoss friend who was promoted to silver practically out of the blue, and a terran friend who is like, rank 71 in his division but faces silvers, and i have really no way to track my progress. Anybody who has been in my scenario or who has been promoted, can they PLEASE tell me how long it took them to get out of bronze, and what i have to do.

Also, is bronze the hardest league to get out of? My protoss friend i mentioned earlier who was randomly promoted to silver got into gold like, two weeks after, so is it easier after you get out of bronze? Because i can see laddering become a very painful experience if i have to go through this much stress to go up one level.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, can i please have no one saying something really vague and unspecific like "you will get better, its not too hard" as i know your trying to be encouraging and offer help but i need someone to confirm or give me some information on this situation. And i am aware that "destiny proved you can get out of bronze with mass queens" or "day 9 could help you with this" and i have watched and looked at all the videos and posts possible.

To get out of Bronze you just not have to suck. Enjoy
Reply Quote
Bronze contains the lower 45% I believe, meaning that bronze -> silver, while simple in terms of game mechanics, requires the largest leap in skill percentage-wise of any of the leagues, followed by silver -> gold.

Just focus on tackling the game's mechanics to a good degree though and you'll be silver eventually, depending on how long it takes.
Reply Quote
Getting out of bronze is simply being able to do the following:

-Execute a basic opening (you're zerg, so that "fixed" opening stops very early... something like speedling expand is pretty safe in all matchups at your level)

-Never supply block yourself. EVER. But if you can avoid supply blocking until 42, its a start.

-Make a lot of workers.

-And the one lower level (hell, up to diamond =P) have issues with: spend ALLL YOUR MONEY. Always. Never go above 500-700 mineral (ideally never get close).

If you do those things, its actually impossible to stay in bronze. I helped my wife get out of bronze. The above is really all it takes. If you do that, you'll win virtually every game until you start playing against gold players. Only then will you have to learn anything beyond that.
]

-Basic Opening: Done, i can do speedling expand and those other openings and i am able to play re actively from then on

-Not Supply Blocking: I always build an overlord every time i build over 5-7 units, so i rarely get supply blocked either

-Making lots of workers: Done

-Spending Money: Not so pro here, but i can do alright, i've definitely started to improve, but my minerals to start to float when i do some micro intensive battles, but this is basically all i have to work on.

Now can someone answer my original question, how long did it and what did you have to do to get out of bronze.
Reply Quote
Lets play Ill show you what you lack.
Reply Quote
04/14/2011 07:33 PMPosted by FromShouri
Lets play Ill show you what you lack.

kk, whats your code?
Reply Quote
939 im already online, waiting :)
Reply Quote
You will get out of bronze the moment you can start roflstomping people there. Last season I got placed in bronze (I was plat in beta) and I just had a flawless (9 streak) win through bronze till I got to silver. My ratio here was 9:0

At silver I didn't get out of there till I got a flawless streak even though I roflstomped every silver player and lost to gold players. Took me more time to leave this dammed league... had like a 4:1 mostly, moved up once I had a 5 winstreak.

And... once at gold I stayed at gold(playing to far in between to really get better). Actually had a freakin' 13 winstreak here and didn't get promoted...

So yeah the plan is simple, keep playing in bronze till you start killing without problems... more of a 5:1 ratio instead of 3:1, since 3:1 is awfully close to 2:1 which is idea for a league. So I can say you are an awesome BRONZE player, but until you prove that you are really, really not bronze, the game won't move you up.
Edited by Tyrael on 4/14/2011 7:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
if you use zerg... if you know how to 8 pool you should be out of bronze -,-...... 8pool took me out of bronze to platinum :P
Reply Quote
made a bet with my friend that i would get out of bronze by the end of the Term........
not going so well
Reply Quote
How do you even end up in bronze to begin with? Seems like it would be hard to get there then it should be just as hard to get out...
Reply Quote
I got placed into bronze when I got the game in september. I played about 10 games then got promoted to silver. The key is to not lose against bronze league players. It doesn't matter if once in awhile you're beating silver league, you won't get out of bronze until you can win at least 75 % of your games against medium to high MMR bronze league players, preferably more. Having a good win ratio doesn't really mean anything since if you're beating crap MMR bronze league players the game still won't think you're getting better. Again, the key is to not lose to bronze league players. Follow the advice everyone gave you and you'll get out just fine if you keep winning.
Reply Quote
I feel you man, I'm in the same situation. I had an 11 game perfect win streak at the start of the season, and at this point I'm still at a 4:1 W/L ratio, and Bnet isn't even matching me against silver players. It matched me against one once, and I roflstomped him while still on my win streak and it then proceeded to match me against only bronze. I'm top 10 in my division (Like 10 points from top 8 and I've got a quarter as many wins as the top 8, my points to wins ratio is highest in my division).

I dunno what it takes to get matched against silver league players, but apparently 4:1 W/L isn't it.
Reply Quote
Lol you think getting in silver will get you respect on this forum? LOLno.
Reply Quote
How were you performing before the new season. That might be holding you back.
Reply Quote
Alright since I'm a silver, recently promoted back in the end of season 1 I'll help you out with a few tips mah fellow zergy.

It looks like you've got a basic handle on how to play. In Bronze, all you gotta do is out macro the opponent. Don't let them take their natural unless their army is out protecting it. Harass as much as possible with muta harass and ling drops. Ling drops are especially effective. Finally, find a solid compistion you can work with. Roach/ling/muta does well. Also keep asking players wut their league is and if they're silver, KEEP BEATING THEM. It's the only way to get out.

Finally, NEVER LOSE TO A BRONZE. Important.

If needed, join our channel, FinalDivision, and my clan will help you out. Always there for a fellow zergy brah.
Reply Quote
04/14/2011 07:13 PMPosted by Ironman
I would get at least a shred of respect on the forums. Every time i comment on something and someone disagrees with me, they can just say "Your bronze" and the debate is over.

i am very sorry to tell u this but that doesn't change. even when ur diamond u dont get that much respect. gotta be masters
Reply Quote
Allll of the info you need to know on how to get into or out of a league is in the stickies in the multiplayer forum:
<a href="http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/248296581?page=1">http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/248296581?page=1</a>
<a href="http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628075820?page=1">http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628075820?page=1</a>

But for a quick description:
It's not as simple as beating all of the bronzes
Its not as simple as play a silver and win
Its not as simple as getting on a winning streak

The system wants to average your play, to find a spot where your win/loss settle, and if it does so in a spot where your mmr is higher than it was before (by more than a small ammount, since it doesnt want people moving up a league only to move down on the next loss) then it will promote.
Edited by Allerum on 4/14/2011 8:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]