StarCraft® II

Macro Or Die - A Competitive Macro Trainer

Macro Or Die v1.1

Do you find yourself accumulating too many resources during the mid and late game? Do you find yourself behind in economy and/or army supply more often than not?

If you answered YES, or SOMETIMES, then this trainer may be of use to you. Even if you answered NO, this trainer may be helpful in refining your macro so that it complements your strategies better.

What do I have to do?

Just play a normal melee game on a Macro or Die map. You can play against the computer or a human; if the map has more than 2 starting areas you can also play co-op vs AI, or team games. The map will do the rest. It will also try to give you an adequate estimate of your ability as it pertains to ladder leagues and a final score which will eventually end up on a persistent leaderboard.

How does the map act as a Trainer?

Imagine that you have a coach observing your game who gently reminds you every time you let your macro slip. Well, this coach is a little more aggressive than that. If you let your macro slip the Adjutant will send ghosts out to nuke your mineral line. Don't worry, there is a 30 second timer before the nuke detonates. If you return your stockpiled resources to more appropriate levels the Adjutant will call off the ghosts.

Gameplay Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/y3Fdu][img]http://imgur.com/HqK9v.jpg
http://imgur.com/z9N1F][img]http://imgur.com/Nw17k.jpg
http://imgur.com/UZ5da][img]http://imgur.com/avqrB.jpg
http://imgur.com/7ZTJE][img]http://imgur.com/XjNJQ.jpg

So how do I find it?

That's easy. You just search for "+macro +die" at the custom game screen, or you go to the "Macro Or Die" chat channel to find other players.

There are 9 Macro Or Die maps available on Battle.Net (NA):

• Macro Or Die [Tal'Darim Altar LE] [green](Available Now)

• Macro Or Die [Xel'Naga Caverns] [green](Available Now)

• Macro Or Die [The Shattered Temple] [green](Available Now)

• Macro Or Die [Metalopolis] [green](Available Now)

• Macro Or Die [Scrap Station] [green](Available Now)

• Macro Or Die [Backwater Gulch] [green](Available Now)

• Macro Or Die [GSL Crevasse] [green](Available Now)

• Macro Or Die [Shakuras Plateau] [green](Available Now)

• Macro Or Die [Typhon Peaks] [green](Available Now)

• Please suggest any maps you would like to see this mod added to in the thread

• This mod is cool, but I have some feedback that will make it awesome!

Fantastic. By all means post your feedback here. If your BO is getting unfairly penalized, please post it and the timings so I can try to include it in the fixes.

I also want to see REPLAYS. Please post links to great Macro Or Die games here too.

- Major

Notes:

• All players - Do not worry about your current Macro level. It looks to see if you should increase every minute; so if your macro is generally good you won't be affected by a couple of slip ups. Although it is admirable to be at the highest level you can be the entire time, certain BOs and your opponent will force you to lose a level or stay the same - live with it. The most important thing is where you stand at the end of the game.

• Protoss players - it is known that certain builds which require stockpiling (3 Gate / FE, and even 4 Gates) will trigger a countdown causing panic. Do not fear, if your BO is tight you'll be fine. You may want to queue up your units in one of the gateways as your warpgates finish to be on safe side. I'm looking into fixing this, but I need more feedback from the community first.

• Replays:

• (PvAI - Master League) Inori teaches you how to Dougie (I mean 3 Gate/FE) - http://drop.sc/7779]http://drop.sc/7779

• (TvZ - Diamond League) Jambi vs Sovereign - Macro Or Die [Tal'darim Altar LE] - http://drop.sc/7788]http://drop.sc/7788

• Upcoming Changes:

• Bug Fix - Players can not go up in level if they are not gathering resources.

• Tiny Reset button on Countdown - allows you to reset your Cushion back to Max (20x) in the event that your current Cushion is too restrictive.

• Changelist:

Version 1.3

• Show completed objectives and failed objectives each chance the user has for promotion, before presenting them with their current level.

• Calculate computers' scores and post them on the leaderboard; The computer will not get nuked when their timer goes to 0.

• [Bug Fix] Don't increase macro level if player is not mining.

• [Bug Fix] Game automatically goes to score screen when AI surrenders.

• [Bug Fix] No more stalemates. Victory/Defeat menus pop up 45 seconds after hitting 'gg' or after seeing the scoreboard.

Version 1.1
  • Bug Fix - Score Screen will now show your average cushion factor, not the cushion you had before game ended.

• Green Tea AI 0.82 added - thank you ptanhkhoa

• Score Modifiers added to account for opponent skill level:

• Very Easy AI = 10% of score
      Easy AI = 30% of score
      Medium AI = 50% of score
      Hard AI = 60% of score
      Very Hard AI = 70% of score
      Insane AI = 80% of score
      Player = 100% of score

• Efficiency Score, currently determined by (army killed value - your army value)/cushion will only post positive rewards at the end game.

• Players will receive extra bonuses added to their Efficiency Score for the following:

• Spreading Creep Tumors
      Using Chronoboost
      Maintaining an army of veteran units

• Players will be prevented from leveling up if they fail to do any of the following:

• Keep stockpile within their current cushion
      Keep hatcheries injected
      Keep energy on Nexuses below 60, and energy on CCs below 110
      Prevent extended supply blockages

• Players will only be able to queue a maximum of 2 units at any building (4 if a reactor is attached).

• Backoff Timer will be included when player goes from Max Food to something below it. You will now have 30 seconds before being penalized to spend your stockpile or return to max (>= 190 food) army.
  • Edited by Major on 5/3/2011 8:21 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    very cool, I really need help on my macro.

Does it also keep track of how many scvs you have versus how many you should have?
    Reply Quote

Does it also keep track of how many scvs you have versus how many you should have?

Thank You. Let me know if it helps you in anyway.

The trainer does not keep track of how many scvs you have or should have because I feel this is very situation dependent. Instead, it keeps you focused on making the most out of the resources you do have.

It is up to you to decide whether you need to get more resources to achieve your goals. I think this latter concept is very intuitive to the cost of units. If you are struggling to build the appropriate counters or to produce an army then you may need to expand to get more gas, minerals, or both.
    Reply Quote
    I don't know. Only thing I don't like is strategies where you actually deliberately stockpile resources for a certain timing or tech (ie, zergling openers where you stockpile for infestor, false expanding into a four gate rush).
    Reply Quote
    no more mutalisks then?
    Reply Quote
    04/24/2011 07:23 AMPosted by Dreadwolf
    Its kinda easy but fun, cool mod.

Thank you. The challenge comes from your opponent not the mod. The mod just serves as a reminder when you are letting your macro slip; and as a huge threat that your opponent is not letting theirs slip.

I suggest playing against a human player who you are evenly matched against or slightly worse than for best returns.

04/24/2011 09:11 AMPosted by EDM
    no more mutalisks then?

Why do you say no more Mutalisks?
    Edited by Major on 4/24/2011 12:21 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    This is nice - just played the Xel'Naga Caverns (my favorite map) one.

I got up to the 9x cushion a couple times, but seemed to hang around 11x the most.

Reply Quote
    Do you think you can add the MLG maps to this? I love their spawn locations.
    Reply Quote
    04/24/2011 05:53 PMPosted by XeroNrG

Sure. I can add the mod to any maps.

Please specify which maps and, if you can, where I can download them if they aren't available publicly via b.Net. Unfortunately, Blizzard only allows me to have 10 pieces of content up at any time, so I'll have to hold a vote of which maps to remove and which to replace them with.
    Reply Quote
    I haven't played the map, but since it is a trainer you might also want to shrink the unit and upgrade queue down to two slots. An easy way to dump resources as terran/toss would be to just queue up more units and upgrades, however that isn't going to really help someone with their macro as it is a total waste and is only a short term solution. Besides, to have good macro you shouldn't really queue too many units/upgrades at once in the same building.

Cool idea.
    Reply Quote
    I haven't played the map, but since it is a trainer you might also want to shrink the unit and upgrade queue down to two slots. An easy way to dump resources as terran/toss would be to just queue up more units and upgrades, however that isn't going to really help someone with their macro as it is a total waste and is only a short term solution. Besides, to have good macro you shouldn't really queue too many units/upgrades at once in the same building.

Cool idea.

Thanks Handull. I appreciate the feedback. For now, I'm going to leave it as close to the normal melee game as I can so that it serves as good practice. Queuing up units has its own disadvantages and the ultimate goal of each matchup is still to eliminate the other guy.
    Reply Quote
    04/24/2011 12:20 PMPosted by Major
    Why do you say no more Mutalisks?

It's fairly common for players to stockpile 1k/1k or so while the spire is building, so they can throw down 10 mutas or so once it pops.
    Reply Quote

The trainer does not keep track of how many scvs you have or should have because I feel this is very situation dependent. Instead, it keeps you focused on making the most out of the resources you do have.

It is up to you to decide whether you need to get more resources to achieve your goals. I think this latter concept is very intuitive to the cost of units. If you are struggling to build the appropriate counters or to produce an army then you may need to expand to get more gas, minerals, or both.

I have played the mod and like it. Would like to recommend it to a friend who is trying to learn the game. But, a big part of most people's weak macro is not making enough harvesters. They will make a bunch early, and then around 20-23 they start to forget and they end up with not enough income.

This is somewhat flawed in your map design, because someone with 20-some harvesters will have no problem keeping their money low. And the map won't teach them how to fix this big flaw in their game, it will just make them think they're doing good. Even if they sit on 15 scvs the entire game.

I think a decent addition would be to add a prompt or semething that tells the person, "you haven't been training workers, remember to keep making harvesters throughout the game." It could be disabled once they have around 40-45 or something, at least enough to saturate the main but preferably more.
    Reply Quote

I have played the mod and like it. Would like to recommend it to a friend who is trying to learn the game. But, a big part of most people's weak macro is not making enough harvesters. They will make a bunch early, and then around 20-23 they start to forget and they end up with not enough income.

This is somewhat flawed in your map design, because someone with 20-some harvesters will have no problem keeping their money low. And the map won't teach them how to fix this big flaw in their game, it will just make them think they're doing good. Even if they sit on 15 scvs the entire game.

I think a decent addition would be to add a prompt or semething that tells the person, "you haven't been training workers, remember to keep making harvesters throughout the game." It could be disabled once they have around 40-45 or something, at least enough to saturate the main but preferably more.

I believe he might counter this by making an interface that compares your income with your opponent's income, and when your income drops a certain amount below theirs (say, 100 minerals/minute) it will suggest "create more workers or expand"

Just a little extra that might be nice. sounds like a cool mod tho.
    Reply Quote
    04/24/2011 06:14 PMPosted by Major

Sure. I can add the mod to any maps.

Please specify which maps and, if you can, where I can download them if they aren't available publicly via b.Net. Unfortunately, Blizzard only allows me to have 10 pieces of content up at any time, so I'll have to hold a vote of which maps to remove and which to replace them with.

I love MLG Metalopolis and MLG Shakuras Plateau. I'm sure people want other maps in there as well.
    Reply Quote
    Pretty nice mod. I just played it and actually got grandmaster ranking for keeping my resources low the whole game.

The only problem is that while waiting for tech to finish (ultras in my case), minerals inevitably pile up while I am waiting for the gas to get ultras, their +2 armor, etc so it kept giving me a warning about my mins being too high, so I ended up just pumping lings or overlords to keep my mins low while I waited for gas.

Kind of annoying.
    Reply Quote
    Macro Or Die has been updated to version 1.1.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It is now much more challenging. Enjoy.

Version 1.1
  • Bug Fix - Score Screen will now show your average cushion factor, not the cushion you had before game ended.

• Green Tea AI 0.82 added - thank you ptanhkhoa

• Score Modifiers added to account for opponent skill level:

• Very Easy AI = 10% of score
      Easy AI = 30% of score
      Medium AI = 50% of score
      Hard AI = 60% of score
      Very Hard AI = 70% of score
      Insane AI = 80% of score
      Player = 100% of score

• Efficiency Score, currently determined by (army killed value - your army value)/cushion will only post positive rewards at the end game.

• Players will receive extra bonuses added to their Efficiency Score for the following:

• Spreading Creep Tumors
      Using Chronoboost
      Maintaining an army of veteran units

• Players will be prevented from leveling up if they fail to do any of the following:

• Keep stockpile within their current cushion
      Keep hatcheries injected
      Keep energy on Nexuses below 60, and energy on CCs below 110
      Prevent extended supply blockages

• Players will only be able to queue a maximum of 2 units at any building (4 if a reactor is attached).

• Backoff Timer will be included when player goes from Max Food to something below it. You will now have 30 seconds before being penalized to spend your stockpile or return to max (>= 190 food) army.
  • Reply Quote
    Pretty nice mod. I just played it and actually got grandmaster ranking for keeping my resources low the whole game.

The only problem is that while waiting for tech to finish (ultras in my case), minerals inevitably pile up while I am waiting for the gas to get ultras, their +2 armor, etc so it kept giving me a warning about my mins being too high, so I ended up just pumping lings or overlords to keep my mins low while I waited for gas.

Kind of annoying.

Is there something wrong with pumping lings or building spines? I find these to always be useful; especially when I need to buy time. I'd also recommend spending some of those minerals on Queens to keep your ultras healed and/or provide air cover.
    Reply Quote
    I love the changes, but I think Protoss should be able to que 3 units in the nexus. This way Chronoboost is used more efficiently.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]