StarCraft® II

Why can't we see MMR?

So I recently got out of bronze and then went straight through silver fairly quickly, and now I'm in gold. Right now I don't know what league I'm supposed to be, as games are still easy wins for me. Wouldn't the most obvious solution be for blizzard to just show us our mmr so that we don't have to just keep telling ourselves that we'll be promoted soon?
Reply Quote
Based on their statements in the Battle.net forums at Blizzcon 2009 and 2010, the main reason they don't show MMR is that for most people it's a somewhat stagnant number.

I suspect it's also motivated by not wanting to make it too easy to reverse engineer or game the score system though.
Reply Quote
So aside from the fact that some people find statistics boring, it's the same reason they don't let us use lan?
Reply Quote
04/28/2011 04:27 PMPosted by gummybears
So aside from the fact that some people find statistics boring, it's the same reason they don't let us use lan?

I don't recall them saying this straight out, but it's pretty clear not having a LAN mode is about limiting piracy without having to engage in copy protection. So no, not the same reason.
Reply Quote
Huh, I always thought that a LAN feature could be manipulated to connect to an external server other than Blizzard's, while telling the client that it's a LAN. In that context, It would be the same reason.
Reply Quote
the mmr has been rated as classified top secret. sorry but you dont have the clearance to see it.
Reply Quote
04/29/2011 02:22 PMPosted by Zaqwert
Blizz's philosophy is to create the illusion of progress.

This may be true but it makes perfect sense. If it's true that MMR is stagnant then for most players they will play and play and think they are better but this will never be reflected by MMR. They want people to play the game and not get discouraged by the fact that they can't raise their MMR(what they would perceive as their skill).

04/29/2011 02:22 PMPosted by Zaqwert
They want to incorporate "grinding" into an RTS

To give you a goal to work on to move up your particular league. You may feel it's useless and that's fine. Some will find their MMR useless since it is a stagnant number. It's all a matter of how you CHOOSE to view it.

I do agree that I personally would like to see my MMR. It would be interesting to me to see it change, or not, over time(at least once I start laddering a bit more). This doesn't mean that the league system is without use.
Edited by Ares on 5/5/2011 11:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes You Can See Them...It's A Program Called SC2GEARS. You Can Find Everything About Your Account From AMP, Macro & Mirco Speed, MMR, Where You Stand For Next League, Game Chat Logs History And So Forth. It Also Has A Program To Notify A Player Who's APM Is Dropping. Its Great Program And It Is Helpful!
Reply Quote
04/28/2011 04:34 PMPosted by gummybears
Huh, I always thought that a LAN feature could be manipulated to connect to an external server other than Blizzard's, while telling the client that it's a LAN. In that context, It would be the same reason.

Blizzard hides MMR to make players feel good. Blizzard disallows LAN for piracy reasons and, for reference, there are cracked versions of SC2 that have LAN support enabled although I don't know where to get them or how to get it working.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]