StarCraft® II

Space opera series

Hi guys,
I'm wondering if any one of you who happens to enjoy the genre of space opera, or other closely related genres, have any books or series to recommend. I've read quite a few so far (Dahak, Honor Harrington, Galaxy Unkown, Star Wars, StarFist, Prince, Heritage trilogies, Star Carrier, to name a few), however am having a tough time finding other good ones. If anyone knows some good ones, I'd love to hear about them!
Reply Quote
I'm not totally sure if it fits the genre entirely, but the Ender's Game series is very good. The first one (Ender's Game) is pretty small scale, but they really expand the universe as it continues on. Pretty well worth the read.

While I haven't read it, I hear Asimov's Foundation series is really good, too. I don't have a personal opinion on those, though.
Edited by Murphyslaw on 5/3/2011 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah the Ender series are pretty good. I've read them all, including the ones where Ender goes to the other planets and when his other friends are fighting on earth >_>

I'll take a look at the Foundation series, certainly looking for more good books!
Edited by Haruhi on 5/3/2011 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, I read enders game and that is definately recommended. I also recently read a book by an author named Peter F. Hamilton. I thought it was pretty good.
Reply Quote
If you ever want to check out military sci fi look up the Legion of the Damned series by William C. Deitz. very well written with good characterization and battle scenes.
Reply Quote
If you want to know the (as far as I know) origins of space marines, then check out "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein. Great military sci-fi.
Reply Quote
05/03/2011 06:45 PMPosted by GeneUnit
If you ever want to check out military sci fi look up the Legion of the Damned series by William C. Deitz. very well written with good characterization and battle scenes.

They were very good, I agree, one of my all-time favorites lol.

@Zeek I've read the Starship Troopers book, but the author has quite a few other books that I haven't read yet, definitely will check those ones at.
Reply Quote
How about David Drake? I didn't see him mentioned and he's an amazing author. I'd recommend basically everything he's written but for a start his Daniel Leary / RCN series is really enjoyable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCN_Series

Note the first book of that series, and many of his other books, are available at the Baen free library: http://www.baen.com/library/
Reply Quote
05/04/2011 01:04 AMPosted by Haruhi
They were very good, I agree, one of my all-time favorites lol.

There's a new one coming out in October this year. I'm excited.
Reply Quote
Gordon Díckson's Dorsai! and Tactics of Mistake are both good military sci-fi.
Edited by Laconic on 5/6/2011 3:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Buu I'll check those out. I've read quite a few authors who are published by Baen Books, so those ones must also be good.

@Sky I've been on the fence on buying those for the last month because nobody I knew had heard of them yet, although the Amazon reviews are all really good, I never know if that's the publisher/author's fans inflating the review score >_>. Now that someone else mentioned them, I'm totally going to pick those up!

@Laconic I've never heard of those before. From reading the wikipedia entry, is it a discussion of the main character's tactics and the sociology of the societies? Are there battles displaying the tactics discussed and puts them into application (the wikipedia entry almost makes it sound as if the battles are mostly cut out of the book)?
Edited by Haruhi on 5/7/2011 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Peter F Hamilton is great and new! Some of these recommends go back a few decades. Start with Pandora's Star
Reply Quote
05/07/2011 09:52 PMPosted by Haruhi
@Laconic I've never heard of those before. From reading the wikipedia entry, is it a discussion of the main character's tactics and the sociology of the societies? Are there battles displaying the tactics discussed and puts them into application (the wikipedia entry almost makes it sound as if the battles are mostly cut out of the book)?

Huh, as far as I can remember, the books are mostly about the action.

Tactics of Mistake is like, a gunfight, some talking, a battle, a little bit of more talking, and another battle...
It's unfortunate that the Wikipedia article would give a different impression.
Reply Quote
Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star book one of The Commonwealth Sage.
Great read
Reply Quote
Emder is good, the rouge/wraith squadron series is good.... but a light read :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]