Any Wheel of Time fans out there?

Obviously I am one, and there must be others, it is one of the most influential fantasy series, so there must be others.
Reply Quote
I read the first dozen or so books. I haven't read the last couple though, It seems like it will never end...
Reply Quote
I am, R.I.P. Robert Jordan.
Reply Quote
05/03/2011 02:28 PMPosted by DooD
I read the first dozen or so books. I haven't read the last couple though, It seems like it will never end...

Yes, it certainly does at times. If you read the first 11 though, you picked a really bad time to stop. In The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight the story really starts to speed up.
Edited by Hawkwing on 5/3/2011 2:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I stopped at book 8. I read the series when he released 6, and then reread it again for book 7 and reread it a third time for book 8. By the time book 9 came around I got frustrated and decided to just wait until it was finished.

One book to go but I seriously don't know if I'm ever going to bother reading it again...
Reply Quote
[DELETED]
Edited by Baazigar on 8/20/2012 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I came here to make a Wheel of Time thread lol.

so did I!!!! I've read all the books :) My favorite series, after the hobbit and lotr
Reply Quote
It's on my list of book series to read, I'll likely start it after I finish reading the ol' Necronomicon, gotta love Lovecraft!
Reply Quote
I have the entire series lined up on a shelf like a trophy. One of my favorites; planning to reread the entire thing this summer.
Reply Quote
05/04/2011 09:54 AMPosted by Murph
I have the entire series lined up on a shelf like a trophy. One of my favorites; planning to reread the entire thing this summer.

Me too - I have them all, in their original (first publication) print, lined up on my shelf. I re-read the entire series for book 9, again for book 10, and again for 13. The last re-read was kind of painful because of how much it slows down between 6-8, but still the greatest fantasy series of all time, right up there with Dune
Reply Quote
05/03/2011 08:06 PMPosted by Sky
Yes I read all the books! Great series and Im happy with Brandon Sanderson's two books so far...

Yes, Mat seemed a bit weird in The Gathering Storm, and I like Towers of Midnight better, but they're both fantastic!
Reply Quote
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

One book to go my friends, it was a great series with it's ups and downs but i think we can all agree that it was epic none the less.
Reply Quote
I'm one.
Recently, after catching up I started on the Mystborn series (written by Brandon Sanderson that took over the end of WoT). I would suggest it if you liked WoT. It's apparently what inspired him to start writing in the first place.
Reply Quote
I liked the first few books, but I feel like Jordan could have streamlined a lot of the dross away by eliminating unimportant plot points. Things start to spiral out of control as the main characters branch out into their separate storylines, until the last books he wrote are maybe 70% composed of descriptions of troop movements and major characters teleporting from Caemlyn to Cairhien to Tear and back.

With all the baggage for Sanderson to address, I thought he'd done a good job tying or at least starting to tie everything up. But the breadth of things he tries to include makes the books feel... flighty. The last battle is coming--the climactic war between good and evil. The Dragon has returned and the Dark One's prison is about to break open. Here's a chapter about Berelain's incredibly boring romantic intrigues.

I'll read the last book when it comes out for completeness's sake, and I'll probably (hopefully!) enjoy it; there are just a fair number of things in WoT which bother me a bit as well.
Edited by Laconic on 5/6/2011 3:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, the statues that allowed him to destroy worlds while teleporting was just a "u srs?" factor.

It seems to be house cleaning time for every bad guy with a name left. They tossed out Semirhage, Mesaana, one of the -gars, and most of the black Ajah in 2 books. None of their deaths were exactly epic. What happened to Azmodean v Rand, Sammael and Rahvin's deaths, and even Lanfear? At least those guys went with a bit of fanfare.
Reply Quote
05/03/2011 02:28 PMPosted by DooD

The farther along you get, the better it gets. You should go back and finish the series if you liked what you've read so far at all.
Reply Quote
05/04/2011 09:54 AMPosted by Murph

I have the first 9 in 3 paperback box sets, but I'm not really sure what to do now. I hope they make box sets for the last 5, but I'm not quite sure how it'll work. If it was still 12 books it would be perfect.
Reply Quote
Just a small fan... been reading it since I was 12 now 23 (24 next month). I have every book in the series First Edition Hardcover plus the original paperbacks I actually read. The only thing I'm missing from my collection is the true first edition of tEotW which was published by Tor's sister publisher for a month before Tor picked it up... those are very hard to find, I hope one day to find it in a used book store.

Also I dont think it gets better as it goes along just deeper, I dont know any fan that would consider Crossroads of Twillight a good novel... especially compaired to The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, or Lord of Chaos (I'm up to that book in my reread before A Memory of Light).

05/06/2011 04:26 AMPosted by boxturtle
It seems to be house cleaning time for every bad guy with a name left. They tossed out Semirhage, Mesaana, one of the -gars, and most of the black Ajah in 2 books. None of their deaths were exactly epic. What happened to Azmodean v Rand, Sammael and Rahvin's deaths, and even Lanfear? At least those guys went with a bit of fanfare.

Well you have to remember these last three books were going to be one book if Jordan had lived so they're actually more spread out then before. However Osgan'Gar's death was kinda anti-climactic, at least we finally learned who Killed Asmodean...
Reply Quote
think they'll ever make a movie? and should they? I REALLY want them too, but i'm afraid it just can't be done :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]