Learning HTML

So I already love making websites after about 2 months of messing with HTML, but a lot of what I do is look at a website I like and just figure out how it's done and ... do it.

What I want is some sort of book or online guide that will truly help me get better at HTML instead of just putting my brain on cruise control and doing mostly Googling for information on different tags.

If someone could help me find, like I before-so mentioned, a book or online guide (not W3schools, I haven't really learned much from them) I would sincerely appreciate it.
Reply Quote
You might be looking for something like this: http://www.echoecho.com/html.htm

Keep in mind that learning web development is a step by step process. Generally the steps are:

1) Learn HTML
2) Learn CSS over HTML
2) Learn JavaScript over HTML and CSS
3) Learn PHP

You might be looking for something like this: http://www.echoecho.com/html.htm

Here you can find all sorts of tutorials for several languages (inclluding the ones I mentioned above): http://www.webbasedprogramming.com/

I can recommend you some books, but there is a lot of information and tutorials available online, and many of them are very well written.

I hope this helps :)
Reply Quote
There is not much to learn with HTML. Once you know the tags and their valid placements (see the World Wide Web Consortium http://www.w3.org/ ) it's really easy. CSS on the other hand... sill gives me a headache most of the time.

I do suggest W3Schools as a good quick reference.

The only thing I differ in opinion from Psionic is the programming language for beginners. I would suggest starting with Ruby. However, PHP is more widely used.
Reply Quote
Don't learn ruby, it will turn you into an arrogant fool ^.^

Learn HTML and CSS and I mean properly learn them. Not making a terrible website, you should be able to look at a complex PSD design and make a HTML/CSS website extremely easily with it.

Then move on to PHP, don't bother with javascript, it isn't really useful unless you have dynamic information, something that comes with learning PHP
Reply Quote
Learning Ruby does not turn people into arrogant fools... If they become an arrogant fool after learning Ruby, then they were one previously, just not in that field of knowledge. :P

I suggested Ruby because for those who do not have a programming background, it's a great first language.

And Javascript can be plenty useful without dynamic content, just not as useful as it could be with.
Reply Quote
O'Rilley books are your friend.

http://oreilly.com/
Reply Quote
And of course w3schools. Everyone uses that xD
Reply Quote
As a Rails programmer, I second the Ruby/Rails recommendation, but I would say learn a web framework before learning Javascript (unless, of course, your web framework of choice is something like Node.js).

Javascript is responsible for all the fancy page interactions in modern websites, but all of the fancy interaction is usually useless without data to interact with. The Javascript just adds polish on top of that.

I prefer Rails, but another good alternative is Django (if you like Python). I would suggest trying both of them and seeing which one you like better. I probably wouldn't bother with PHP until after you learn good practices from either Rails or Django, as PHP does not tend to encourage good programming practices.
Reply Quote
05/03/2011 06:34 PMPosted by jayy
So I already love making websites after about 2 months of messing with HTML, but a lot of what I do is look at a website I like and just figure out how it's done and ... do it.

That's how I learned. Using that method I made my first web site in 1993 and have been doing web development full time professionally since 2002 or so.

05/03/2011 06:34 PMPosted by jayy
What I want is some sort of book or online guide that will truly help me get better at HTML instead of just putting my brain on cruise control and doing mostly Googling for information on different tags.

So google for tutorials instead of for tag info. Seriously, EVERYTHING you need to know about web development is on the internet for free. I got a college degree but I wasn't learning web development, I was learning things like how switching and routing works and how to admin servers make my own cables and that kind of stuff stuff. Everything about web development that I know I learned on my own, primarily using google.
Reply Quote
Yeah, ruby is great, but not as widespread as PHP, that's why I recommended it.
Reply Quote
Books are an amazing way to learn stuff, O'Rilley are one of the better series.

Also, if you want to remember the syntax I suggest you get a certificate in it!
Reply Quote
i'd also like to note that there isn't a single programming language out there that does not have a free tutorial online. So, if your looking to save money then google:
<insert name of programming language> tutorials
Reply Quote
<body>

<p>Learn Html!</p>

</body>
Reply Quote
I recommend learning the basics of html and css, then use firebug to inspect the code of other websites. But if you want to be a web developer, start learning PHP as soon as possible. You won't be able to do much if you can't make dynamic data driven sites.

Learning vanilla javascript isn't necessary, but learning a javascript library like jquery is.
Reply Quote
Use front page for making site better
Reply Quote
05/08/2011 01:21 AMPosted by frostburn
Use front page for making site better

……………………………………..________
………………………………,.-‘”……………….“~.,
………………………..,.-”……………………………..“-.,
…………………….,/………………………………………..”:,
…………………,?………………………………………………\,
………………./…………………………………………………..,}
……………../………………………………………………,:`^`..}
……………/……………………………………………,:”………/
…………..?…..__…………………………………..:`………../
…………./__.(…..“~-,_…………………………,:`………./
………../(_….”~,_……..“~,_………………..,:`…….._/
……….{.._$;_……”=,_…….“-,_…….,.-~-,},.~”;/….}
………..((…..*~_…….”=-._……“;,,./`…./”…………../
…,,,___.\`~,……“~.,………………..`…..}…………../
…………(….`=-,,…….`……………………(……;_,,-”
…………/.`~,……`-………………………….\……/\
………….\`~.*-,……………………………….|,./…..\,__
,,_……….}.>-._\……………………………..|…………..`=~-,
…..`=~-,_\_……`\,……………………………\
……………….`=~-,,.\,………………………….\
…………………………..`:,,………………………`\…………..__
……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
…………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\
……………………………..,<`.._|_,-&“…………….`\
Reply Quote
HTML is moderate.

Trust me, its about the tags. The 80ish of them.

XML is the same way.

The real challenges are CSS and Javascript, followed by PHP.

If you really want to learn HTML, i recommend HTML, XHTML, and CSS for the Absolute Beginner. It makes interactive things you can play with and tinker with as you progress.
Reply Quote
http://www.w3schools.com/ is probably my favorite resource in all things related to web development.
Reply Quote
HTML is moderate.

Trust me, its about the tags. The 80ish of them.

XML is the same way.

The real challenges are CSS and Javascript, followed by PHP.

If you really want to learn HTML, i recommend HTML, XHTML, and CSS for the Absolute Beginner. It makes interactive things you can play with and tinker with as you progress.

Rofl CSS a challenge.

Obtw XHTML isn't a language, its a standard of HTML.
Reply Quote
I din't say XHTML was a language.

And yeah, CSS is a challenge.
:P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]