StarCraft® II

Share the BEST novel you have read recently

LOTR and the Hobbit are my faves from fantasy.

From normal fiction I would go with The Fountain Head

For historical I would recommend a book called The Coffee Trader, had to read it for a class and it was surprisingly good.

For Sci-fi: I've only read starwars books and the foundation series. Starwar The Young Jedi knights was a series I liked, but it was a good intro to reading series. Foundation is more though evoking, but I am not sure I would actually recommend it to anyone.

For Humor: Discworld Hands down. Or a Trashy, Trashy romance (any will do.)

For Romance: not a particular novel, but I like trashy ones.

On my reading Queue
The Light fantastic
Atlas Shrugged
Game of Thrones
Good Omens

Reply Quote
Anyone who's interested in fantasy and or British literature will love Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It's a fantastic fantasy written in the style of Jane Austen. Definitely worth a read for any fantasy fans.
Reply Quote
Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

Currently finishing Mistborn Trilogy
I have Game of Thrones and Windup Girl sitting on my desk, they're next on my list
Edited by mappr on 5/9/2011 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm enjoying A Tale of Two Cities right now. It's a hard book to read, but it's definitely a good one.

Sadly it's for school, so there are tests and %%#*.

EDIT: While I'm on Charles *%@@ens, allow me to also plug A Christmas Carol.
EDIT again: LMAO

I see Ender's Game is already on the list. Add the sequel Speaker for the Dead. It's equally amazing, and I'm tempted to say it might be better. Might be the best book I've ever read.

And of course I've gotta plug the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Why aren't those on the list yet?
Edited by SixtyBucks on 5/10/2011 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hitch hikers guide to the galaxy
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Name of the Wind- By Patrick Rothfuss

Great first book and the second just came out a short bit ago too. He's an amazing writer.
Reply Quote
Watchmen by Alan Moore and Sin City by Frank Miller.

They are novels that are graphic in nature :)
Reply Quote
While it isn't exactly recent, Pournelle and Stirling's The Prince. I wish I knew where my copy was, though ='(
Edited by Haruhi on 5/13/2011 2:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Revelation Space
The Evolutionary Void
The Windup Girl
The Rise of Endymion
Endymion
Fall of Hyperion
Hyperion
Consider Phlebas
Blindsight
The Naked God
The Neutronium Alchemist
The Reality Dysfunction
The Temporal Void
The Dreaming Void
Judas Unchained
Pandora's Star
A Scanner Darkly
The World at the End of Time
The Algebraist
Anathem
Snow Crash
The Diamond Age
Altered Carbon
Broken Angels
Woken Furies
Market Forces
Thirteen
Moving Mars
Queen of Angels
The Gap Cycle
Off Armageddon Reef
2001: A Space Odyssey
Childhood's End
The Songs of Distant Earth
Dune series
Gateway
Heechee Rendezvous
Annals of the Heechee
Empire of Man
Saga of the Seven Suns
Destination: Void
The Jesus Incident
The Lazarus Effect
The Ascension Factor
Stranger in a Strange Land
A Canticle for Leibowitz
A Brief History of Time
Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other
The Universe in a NutshellOn the Shoulders of Giants
The Great Works of Physics and Astronomy
A Briefer History of Time
Animal Farm
Brave New World
Coyote a Novel of Interstellar
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
The Secret History of the American Empire
Conservatives without Conscience
Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
Reply Quote
Chasm City
Redemption Ark
Absolution Gap
The Prefect
Reply Quote
If you can, try to narrow that lengthy list down to at most 3. While I'm sure that all of those books are fantastic, you should tell us which ones stand out from all the rest. Thanks!
Reply Quote
That is my best list. I read about 2 books a week.
Reply Quote
In order to keep the list fairly small, I requested in my first post that readers keep their favorites list to one or two books. I cannot have the list overrun by one person, when everyone else followed the rule. Choose a few or I cannot put any of those books on the list (I have not read many of them).
This is the last I will have to say on this topic, I want to keep this thread moving and not bickering.
Reply Quote
Favorite of all time is easily The Chronicles of the Black Company by Glenn Cook His writing styles different but it added more depth the story then anything else I've read.

Recent reads.

The Hunger Games Trilogy was alright I felt it would have been better if it targeted a more mature crowd though, I'd still recommend it though, just don't be expected to be surprised by any plot twists.

Currently plowing my way through "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King, which I'm enjoying immensely.

@Calcunon A list of 30+ books doesn't tell us anything about whats the best you've read, looks like you just looked at your bookshelf and listed whats there. Give us your top 5 and why or something with substance.
Edited by ParaDoc on 5/13/2011 3:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For someone who reads a lot you don't appear to be particularly good at comprehension, Calculon.
Reply Quote
Just read the Ender's Game Series(both branches).
Also a book of short stories by Phillip K. D|ck. (it bleeped out the last name the first time)
Planning to read the Foundation series by Asimov next.

@Paradoc: love the dark tower series, read on!
Edited by WalkinDude on 5/14/2011 11:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been plowing through the Tom Clancy novels. They are long!

FYI -

I will soon be posting a tutorial on how to upload downloaded (non sanctioned) books to your kindle!

gl hf

-aA
Reply Quote
My 3

The Secret History of the American Empire

Conservatives without Conscience

Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
Reply Quote
05/13/2011 07:44 AMPosted by Calculon

I see why that is on the bottom
Reply Quote
05/06/2011 05:57 AMPosted by zeek
I'm wondering, is that book in English? Because 3 years of Spanish allowed me to translate the title but I'm sure I couldn't read the book.

That's what I was saying: look for "The Time of the Hero" by Vargas Llosa if you'd like to check it out; the title used for the English market is not the literal translation.

I will warn you that it's most likely not an easy read, even in your native language. The viewpoint changes between chapters, jumping between characters and time periods, with little explanation of who is now narrating.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]