Uranium is so Last Century

05/04/2011 03:07 PMPosted by Shadowcaster
Capitolism is the best economic system there is, other systems never work, and before you say something along the lines of Communist China has a strong economy so Communism must work, no China has a capitolist mindset as far as their economy goes. The USA built her fortune on capitolism, the real problems come in when you have Laissez-Faire capitolism cause you get monopolies and other bad economic situations.

What does that have to do with this thread?
Reply Quote
i think in the future, its all about hidrogen to helium to like carbon or something. hydrogen to carbon = big power
Reply Quote
05/04/2011 05:47 AMPosted by Astrai
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that with our current level of technology, we spend more energy to start and sustain a fusion reaction than it gives back to us. That's why we are still using fission based nuclear reactors, or so I thought.

You are wrong.

It's not that we spend more energy to start and sustain a fusion reaction; it's that we don't yet have a working way to -control- said reaction.

There've been more than a few successful attempts at kick-starting a fusion reaction; but none so far which have been able to safely keep it going.

I'm pretty sure that he's right, I remember hearing that we need more energy to fuel the reaction than we can harvest from it. Thats why "cold" fusion is still a mystery. Hmmm
Can you give me a link or something>?
Edited by Sylar on 5/5/2011 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
there is still work on cold fusion, but still, the gas will eventually be hot, becuase you would need enourmous pressure to do it
Reply Quote
can you define cold fusion for the unenlightened
Reply Quote
ok thanks how do you massivly compress atoms/molecules so that they fuse at room temperature w/out excess heat?
Reply Quote
05/07/2011 03:55 PMPosted by Astrai
there is still work on cold fusion, but still, the gas will eventually be hot, becuase you would need enourmous pressure to do it

Cold fusion is not taken seriously by the scientific community at large. There are small fringe groups who refuse to accept the fact that it was a hoax, despite the evidence to the contrary and no evidence anywhere that it's possible.

It would be something if they were actually researching ways in which cold fusion could potentially be possible; but they're just trying to rehash the falsified experiment, refusing to believe that it does not work.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-03/annual-convention-chemists-warm-cold-fusion

its being reintroduced. but problems that still need to be solved is how to get the thing to fuse at such low temperatures.
if i remember correctly, cold fusion would need most likely a far higher pressure for a reaction, due to the absense of high heat.

i still think regular fusion is more efficient, the heat helps apply pressure
Reply Quote
Thorium is named after thor, the norse god of lightning and also a powerfull siege walker (hehehe).
Reply Quote
THOR IS HERE!
Reply Quote
I read this article. I find it comforting to know that we have alternatives to oil. At the same time I find it disheartening that the oil companies will try to keep new technology down as long as they can maintain their dominance without investing into new tech.
Reply Quote
Thorium is named after Thor. If only it was that easy to make lightning using Thorium.
Reply Quote
Thorium is here.
Reply Quote
There are large quantities of Thorium in the mountains surrounding Winterspring.

http://www.wowhead.com/object=175404

All you need is a pick-axe to extract, should be very viable in today's market.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]