StarCraft® II

Ayn Rand

Who here is an Ayn Rand fan?

I know there are several... I've seen names like JohnGalt and what not.
But I wonder how many Rand fans there are amongst SC2 players?

Atlas Shrugged is by far the most influential book I've ever read. I find it especially relevant today, though I don't know if today is any different than when the book was written...

Edit: Please be careful to abide by the Forum Guidelines. It appears Blizzard will be extra strict among these threads, and Rand is susceptible to one facet in particular, to be sure...
No Politics/Religion
There is no tolerance for discussion of politics or religion in this or any Battle.net forum. While we appreciate people’s beliefs and political ideals, they are not appropriate to be discussed or mentioned within these walls, even if brought up objectively.

Link: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2456910251
Edited by Phinix on 5/3/2011 11:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Objectivists ftw.
Reply Quote
05/03/2011 12:53 PMPosted by aibolit
Objectivists ftw.

Huzzah! :-D
Reply Quote
I would consider myself a fan. I agree with most parts of objectivism, but I do disagree with Rand's views on religion. That, of course, won't be discussed further.
Reply Quote
05/03/2011 02:03 PMPosted by Hawkwing
I would consider myself a fan. I agree with most parts of objectivism, but I do disagree with Rand's views on religion. That, of course, won't be discussed further.

She's certainly a bit set in her ways on many hot topics. I'm definitely not one to follow her every opinion, but the overall scope of her philosophy is very much to my liking.
;-D
Reply Quote
Interestingly I often see Rand's work considered for its philosophical underpinnings, and while I'm board with a chunk of Objectivism I actually think they work better as literary fiction.
Reply Quote
In my senior year of high school, our English class read Fountainhead. I kinda enjoyed it, for the story more than the 'ideas'. Our class read less than half the book - the instructor said that we 'got the picture' already.
Reply Quote
I have read Atlas Shrugged and while I do agree with some of her philosophy I think anyone who totally adheres to it is an amoral sociopath. A person to follow such a path would need to be immature and self absorbed. I did especially love the money speech from the book check out the link

http://www.working-minds.com/money.htm
Reply Quote
Ayn Rand's books are just badly written straw men for her anti-collectivist rantings. The scenarios they illustrate bear little or no relation to the actual world, and her objectivist philosophy can be boiled down to this: 'Society is a winner-take-all game, and the devil may take the hindmost'.

It's easy to understand how Rand's frothing anti-collectivist attitudes came to be. She saw firsthand the ravages of Bolshevik ideology first-hand. But her vitriolic hatred of communism was never moderated by any sort of pragmatic understanding of how societies work.

If you want a more useful treatise that will guide you toward a successful life and society toward a more prosperous and peaceful state, read 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' by Dale Carnegie.
Reply Quote

Edit: Please be careful to abide by the Forum Guidelines. It appears Blizzard will be extra strict among these threads, and Rand is susceptible to one facet in particular, to be sure...
No Politics/Religion
There is no tolerance for discussion of politics or religion in this or any Battle.net forum. While we appreciate people’s beliefs and political ideals, they are not appropriate to be discussed or mentioned within these walls, even if brought up objectively.

Link: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2456910251

that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic. lol.
Edited by Renlynn on 5/5/2011 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I've heard a lot about it, but despite its popularity I've been anxious about picking it up because of the apparent polar differences in our ideologies. I'm usually one to explore various viewpoints regardless of my own, but this one just gives me a strange feeling. (Of course I wouldn't want to judge until I've actually read it, but it's one of those books in my mind.) I may pick it up later when I'm not swamped with reading as it is.
Reply Quote
First read Atlas Shrugged when I was a sophmore in high school. For such a complex novel, I feel like most people first fall in love with it when they're teens.
Reply Quote
I'm a fan.
Atlas Shrugged is probably not one of the most interesting books I've ever read, but was a good read nonetheless.
And pretty much the entire plot of the game "Bioshock" was influenced by Atlas Shrugged. So many references... Definitely an influential book.
Reply Quote
The modern day sociopath reads Ayn Rand
Reply Quote
"Ayn Rand, Hugely Popular Author and Inspiration to Right-Wing Leaders, Was a Big Admirer of Serial Killer"

"It turns out, you can trace much of this thinking back to Ayn Rand, a popular cult-philosopher who exerts a huge influence over much of the right-wing and libertarian crowd, but whose influence is only starting to spread out of the U.S.

One reason most countries don't find the time to embrace Ayn Rand's thinking is that she is a textbook sociopath. In her notebooks Ayn Rand worshiped a notorious serial murderer-dismemberer, and used this killer as an early model for the type of "ideal man" she promoted in her more famous books. These ideas were later picked up on and put into play by major right-wing figures of the past half decade, including the key architects of America's most recent economic catastrophe -- former Fed Chair Alan Greenspan and SEC Commissioner Chris Cox -- along with other notable right-wing Republicans such as Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, Rush Limbaugh and South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford."
Reply Quote
Not going into her philosophies, I've gotta say no other book has made me hate a character so much as Atlas Shrugged.

Dagny Taggart, who starts the novel as a strong, independent, and fairly interesting character ends the novel as an indecisive floozy who flits from man to man, ruining marriages and lives behind her. Ugh! Character development failure.

Honestly, her characters in general were pretty bad. Most are pretty much caricatures... and Galt's just a mouthpiece.

Still, it's one of the longest books in the English language, and had a hilarious death ray in it, so I guess that counts for something.
Reply Quote
"If you've ever had the feeling that there was something fundamentally sociopathic about Ayn Rand's philosophy, you may have been on to something. Apparently one of Ayn Rand's early "heroes" was a serial killer named William Edward Hickman. When he was arrested Hickman became quite famous -- the talk of the town, so to speak, but for the entire country. Rand took things a bit further than most, though, and modeled at least one of her literary characters on Hickman."
Reply Quote
05/15/2011 08:55 AMPosted by Calculon
"If you've ever had the feeling that there was something fundamentally sociopathic about Ayn Rand's philosophy, you may have been on to something. Apparently one of Ayn Rand's early "heroes" was a serial killer named William Edward Hickman. When he was arrested Hickman became quite famous -- the talk of the town, so to speak, but for the entire country. Rand took things a bit further than most, though, and modeled at least one of her literary characters on Hickman."

You need to look up the term "sociopath". Admiring a serial killer, while strange, is not sociopathy in the slightest. If you actually read her notes, you'll see that she describes Hickman as a degenerate. She felt that he represented something, which was probably more a product of her own erroneous extrapolation rather than the reality of what he was.
Edited by Deathlust on 5/15/2011 10:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ayn Rand's philosophy is, you should only do things for yourself and to help others is actually amoral. How do you get more sociopathic than that?

Also, how long before this thread mysteriously disappears? lol
Edited by Dorkfish on 5/15/2011 11:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]