StarCraft® II

Installation on Case Sensitive Drive

After the Blizzard Downloader finished I got the following error:

No installer data could be found.

I looked around for a solution and eventually got enough clues that the issue was that I had a case-sensitive drive and Blizzard doesn't support that for the installer or the patching system.

It is relatively easy to get Starcraft II to work on a case-sensitive
volume but takes an extra step to create a case-insensitive volume for
the install disc and then a case insensitive volume for the Starcraft
II to be installed on:

if you have a retail Starcraft II DVD you can skip to part 2 below.

# Creating Case-Insensitive Starcraft II Disc #
- open Disk Utility
- use File -> New -> Black Disc Image
- set the images properties as:
- save as: Starcraft II Install
- name: StarCraft II Disc
- size: 8.3 GB (DVD+R DL)
- format: Max OS Extented
- encryption: none
- partitions: CD/DVD
- image format: sparse bundle disk image
- create
- copy contents of the directory created by the Blizzard Downloader
(SC2-WingsOfLiberty-enUS-Installer) to the created image. (the files
Installer Tome 1.MPQE, Installer UI 1.MPQ, Installer UI 2.MPQE,
Installer.app, and Installer.exe should be on the root of the created
image)
- double click on install.app

Instead of installing on the case sensitive hard drive we should then
follow the steps for creating a case insensitive volume for Starcraft
II to reside. No other volume or reformat necessary!

# Creating Case-Insensitive Image For Starcraft II To Reside In #
- open Disk Utility
- use File -> New -> Black Disc Image
- set the images properties as:
- save as: Starcraft II
- name: StarCraft II
- size: 15 GB
- format: Max OS Extented
- encryption: none
- partitions: Single partition - Apple Partition Map
- image format: sparse bundle disk image
- create
- tell the Starcraft II installer to install on this new image
- Run Starcraft, have fun

Note - it is necessary after a reboot to remount the Starcraft II
image. Just double click on the created image and then run Starcraft
II normally.
Reply Quote
Unfortunately, a lot of game developers these days don't program properly for case sensitive file systems. This is a real shame, because I prefer them and have to create these virtual filesystems for quite a few games.
Edited by RagingIce on 8/1/2010 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This needs a sticky.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Thanks for writing this up.
Reply Quote
My girlfriend has a Case Sensitive system, and I followed the proceedures on this tutorial, but it STILL will not work. I installed to a non case sensitive virtual drive and try to run the game and it does the same thing. Any idea on what I may have done wrong? I have a retail DVD not the installer.
Reply Quote
I recommend putting the disk image in your login items list so it automounts at login. Once the image is mounted, it barely uses any system resources, if at all. This way, you would never need to remember to mount it before a match. Alternately, you can probably cobble together an Automator script to mount the image then launch the game, and save that as an icon to your Dock.
Reply Quote
worked for me thanks
Reply Quote
Thanks, I had the same problem.

It's the shame that Blizzard doesn't support case sensitive HFS+ though ..
Reply Quote
HELLO,

THIS NO LONGER WORKS!!!!!!!

I have my game installed this way and it was fine forever. Now, with this new 1.5 patch, my 15GB partition doesn't have enough space to allow for the optimization process.

Now what do I do?????
Reply Quote
HELLO,

THIS NO LONGER WORKS!!!!!!!

I have my game installed this way and it was fine forever. Now, with this new 1.5 patch, my 15GB partition doesn't have enough space to allow for the optimization process.

Now what do I do?????

Open the image in Disk Utility and resize the image to something like 30 GB (the installer creates a copy of all files). Note that resizing the image won't make it occupy 30 GB right now. It merely means that up to 30 GB can be stored in it.

Remember to eject the disk image, otherwise the Resize option won't be available! Later I believe you can shrink it down to 15 GB again, although this isn't necessary.
Reply Quote
Hi, is 1.5 working for anybody using a case-insensitive disk image on a case-sensitive drive? I'm getting this error at the beginning of the optimization process:
"An unexpected error occurred while trying to install. Please try again or contact Customer Support."
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This is due to case-sensitive volume for the main HD. Since the game is using newer tools, the same ones installed by Diablo III, the tools are installed on Users/Shared directory on the main drive. If the volume is case-sensitive, then the install will fail.

Case-sensitive volumes are not supported for installation of our titles. I apologize about the game not working properly after the update. I'll send this feedback up to the appropriate teams.
Reply Quote
I guess there is no progress here? Is it possible to specify a custom directory for the Shared Tools so that those with case-sensitive filesystems can point it to a directory on a case insensitive disk image?
Reply Quote
Please bump this, because of the installer checks there's absolutely no way to trick the game installer even if I want to accept the risk of broken behavior. It's really not hard at all to handle case sensitive filesystems. I understand if you expect case sensitive and get case insensitive that can be impossible to support but the other way around only creates problems in the event of incredibly sloppy coding.

Re-formatting is not an option.
Those of us who work with unix software that requires case sensitivity have already installed a case sensitive OS, why does this have to be this way. A little bit of regex magic in your source code and you can fix all those places that some lazy developer used "local" instead of "Local" and the like... Plus then you'll know the difference between WHEN YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE YELLING and when they're just saying something and the filesystem mangled it.
Edited by Fencepost on 12/21/2012 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Where can I find the contents of the directory created by the Blizzard Downloader? I copied everything in this directory /users/Shared/Battle.net to the StarCraft II Disc image but got the erro message: Data required to install this game could not be found. Any one knows how to fix this?
Reply Quote
My solution:

(NOTE: my disk image is mounted on /Volumes/CaseInsensitive, YMMV - check "df -h" and look at the "Mounted On" column to see where you should move your Battle.net folder to)

Open terminal and issue the following commands:

cd /Users/Shared
mv Battle.net /Volumes/CaseInsensitive/Battle.net
ln -s /Volumes/CaseInsensitive/Battle.net Battle.net

The game seems to be updating now, but it's been a sea of errors thus far, so who knows.
Reply Quote
How do the developers get by working on a case-insensitive system? Blows my mind.
Reply Quote
Just started getting an error 30 minutes ago about my file system being case sensitive and cant update.

No !@#$ it's case sensitive, but it has been that for over a year of SC2 playing. Why is this suddenly a problem today?
Reply Quote
Bump, why did this suddenly become a problem? Been playing on case sensitive Mac OS for 1,5 years...
Reply Quote
Its been one and a half years since I suggested allowing the /Users/Shared files to be installed in a custom directory instead of the root volume, which could be referenced by all blizzard games.... Has there been nothing done in this regard? How hard is it to allow a custom path to be set? Anyone from Blizzard care to comment? Machkhan?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]