StarCraft® II

Map deleted off B.net, no real reason given.

(Locked)

personal/familial security

I think I found the problem. This game is rated T and online isn't even rated, but they review maps to match a PG rating standard?
You're confusing our removal of inappropriate content with some draconian measure to delete maps as we see fit.
When you are the ones determining what content is 'inappropriate' to the point of double-standards then it IS draconian.

Keeping people from seeing your hate speech and obscene images on our private game service is not the same as relinquishing your constitutional freedoms in the hopes of increased personal/familial security. Ben would tie you to a kite and let go of the string for making such comparisons.

Hey, because you know exactly what Ben Franklin would say. Ignore his quotes!

Your company is doing an abysmal job of managing custom maps for the sake of control and eventually, profit. It's Blizzard's right, but don't mix sugar with salt. What is being done does not benefit customers at all. Just leave it, because the priorities have already been set. Just don't even dream of the same custom map community you saw in Warcraft III, because it physically can't exist in this environment.
It should be noted that, unless a blue states that this is false. The map in question was deleted because the pathing caused them to make a specific anti-semitic symbol from September 15, 1935. As such this whole thread is a little misleading, it appears (because the original author assumed it was due to the use of "Badass") to have caused a stir under false pretenses. Personally, I think its reasonable blizzard getting rid of a tower defense map that spells out anti-semitic words, offensive images etc, even if unintentional. While, this example is a little extreme, and some what cheesey, it is fairly reasonable given the rest of the industrys standing point.

Case closed. Calm down, you can say ass as much as you want.

No one wants to play on a map shaped like a wang. I'm willing to make this concession to stop immature jackasses from poluting Bnet, you should be too.
Edited by Sonneillon on 8/4/2010 1:24 PM PDT
Yah its pretty sad the enforcement blizzard is doing with this. Its unfortunate and sad. This new Battle.net system and its rules is becoming a joke. And all Blizzard will do in response is cite legal writing in its defense. Well blizzard when your profits start falling these content "regulators" will probably be the first ones to lose their jobs, and honostly im hoping for it because this regulation of content is pathetic and ridiculous. Shame on you blizzard.
Ben would tie you to a kite and let go of the string for making such comparisons.

I don't think it would go anywhere.
I have to ask, why do you guys review maps "to ensure that they promote a fun and safe environment for all players" in this game, and not the original?

Because we can. Literally. We have a support department now of size and ability to enforce these types of things. It simply wasn't possible when our in-game support used to consist of approximately 20 technical support agents. We did, however, actually police Warcraft III maps to a small degree if they were reported. But it was a rather archaic process.

That's all well and good but the relative anarchy (there was pretty much NO regulations on the original SC) promoted a HUGE map boom.

You're confusing our removal of inappropriate content with some draconian measure to delete maps as we see fit. Our goal is purely to ensure that maps don't contain inappropriate content, as defined here: <a href="http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=33752" target="_new">http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=33752</a>

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
-Benjamin Franklin

Keeping people from seeing your hate speech and obscene images on our private game service is not the same as relinquishing your constitutional freedoms in the hopes of increased personal/familial security. Ben would tie you to a kite and let go of the string for making such comparisons.

WTF your saying we cant even use words that are in the vanilla games ITSELF?! Thats completely horrible and i feel like the games map community will fall soon because "obscene material" is just part of the regular game and anyways everyone says most of that "obscene material" anyways.

theres a reason why the ESRB puts a label saying online content may vary when it rates most games these days and its not to incourage 5 year olds to play. the game in itself is for more mature people and if the company that made it doesnt see that then Blizz is really gonna have issues with management both in the future and currently.
I have to ask, why do you guys review maps "to ensure that they promote a fun and safe environment for all players" in this game, and not the original?

Because we can. Literally. We have a support department now of size and ability to enforce these types of things. It simply wasn't possible when our in-game support used to consist of approximately 20 technical support agents. We did, however, actually police Warcraft III maps to a small degree if they were reported. But it was a rather archaic process.

That's all well and good but the relative anarchy (there was pretty much NO regulations on the original SC) promoted a HUGE map boom.

You're confusing our removal of inappropriate content with some draconian measure to delete maps as we see fit. Our goal is purely to ensure that maps don't contain inappropriate content, as defined here: <a href="http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=33752" target="_new">http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=33752</a>

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
-Benjamin Franklin

WTF your saying we cant even use words that are in the vanilla games ITSELF?! Thats completely horrible and i feel like the games map community will fall soon because "obscene material" is just part of the regular game and anyways everyone says most of that "obscene material" anyways.

theres a reason why the ESRB puts a label saying online content may vary when it rates most games these days and its not to incourage 5 year olds to play. the game in itself is for more mature people and if the company that made it doesnt see that then Blizz is really gonna have issues with management both in the future and currently.

Read my reply a few posts up. Someone should lock this post and start a discussion that doesn't involve misdirection to start. Its not about the swears, that was a missunderstanding.
Edited by Sonneillon on 8/4/2010 1:32 PM PDT
Ben would tie you to a kite and let go of the string for making such comparisons.

I don't think it would go anywhere.

I lol'd.
i guess we'll never see dodge the %!%#%* in sc2

there was a really fun map in sc called heaven's last stand, guess we'll never see that too since anything religious is considered inappropriate.

there is so much censorship on battle.net its ridiculous, the game is not rated E and I'm sure the vast majority of starcraft 2 players are old and mature enough to handle anything slightly "offensive" or "inappropriate".

there was a really fun map in sc called heaven's last stand, guess we'll never see that too since anything religious is considered inappropriate.

there is so much censorship on battle.net its ridiculous, the game is not rated E and I'm sure the vast majority of starcraft 2 players are old and mature enough to handle anything slightly "offensive" or "inappropriate".

The content policy says nothing about religion, or cursing. You're stressing over nothing.

omg dude youre so right lol those 2 maps were SO fun. sc1 was so much better than this :(

da** you blizzard, da** you!
Edited by xlair on 8/4/2010 1:42 PM PDT

The content policy says nothing about religion, or cursing. You're stressing over nothing.

oh rly?
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=SC2icpolicies&rhtml=true

and clearly you haven't played dodge the rap ist, where the units are named after a certain human reproductive organ
Edited by foreverzero on 8/4/2010 1:46 PM PDT

Those guidelines ARE pretty draconian. And very vague to boot. Especially the banning of "violent" words without specifically stating which words. This is starcraft, a game where armies kill each other. If a map focusing around dark templars contains the word "murder" would it get banned? According to those guidelines, maybe. If a map mentions ninjas, is it banned? If a map makes reference to the fact that units die, is it banned? I could go on and on here.

The system is broken and needs fixing. The very fact that hundreds of people played the Tank D map and found nothing outstandingly offensive is proof the system has holes in it.

Community Manager
Words used in the campaign are not things we're going to action for.

The map that was removed, and for which this thread exists, WAS NOT removed for using the words 'bad ass'. But we're not going to publicly release why or for what reasons we do remove maps. If the map maker receives that information and chooses to do so, then so be it. That's their discretion.

We're working on improving our processes to ensure the map maker has more information on why their map was removed, right now it is a bit vague and has obviously led to this misunderstanding.

Because most here are under the impression the OP had a map removed because of the words 'bad ass' I'm locking this in hopes that a new thread with more pertinent concerns can take hold. Thanks everyone.
Edited by Bashiok on 8/4/2010 2:50 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]