StarCraft® II

Anyone doing good ol' Overlord drops?

When I used to play SC1, people used their OL for more than just scouting. Any zerg players still use OLs for dropping inside an enemy base?
Reply Quote
When I used to play SC1, people used their OL for more than just scouting. Any zerg players still use OLs for dropping inside an enemy base?

Yep, they are far more consistent than Nydus Worms.
Reply Quote
Yeah I prefer an OL drop to a nydus worm.
Reply Quote
I never do, to be honest I never even research overlord transportation. I love my Nydus worms...
Reply Quote
I'm on the nydus worm bandwagon. With more than one it's not a drop, it's a way to teleport around.
Reply Quote
Eh, sometimes. Usually the game is not decided by the drops, so it's not very high on my priority list.
Reply Quote
i have been starting to do Ovie drops pretty regular, usually works pretty well... havent tried nydus worm yet though im going to try it out and see what i prefer =]
Reply Quote
i used overlord drop once but i prefer nydus worm as it is permanant (until it is destroyed) you don't have to go back and forth, and it is instant
Reply Quote
I prefer throwing down a Network for the simple reason that you prepare an army to throw into it and it's pretty much instant. Why would anyone wanna transport a few critters when you can overwhelm them with infinite amounts of anything.

Imagine destroying their mineral line with some banelings or zerglings .... nice.
Reply Quote
OL Baneling drops are DEVASTATING
Reply Quote
Every time I overlord drop against a decent player, they rush out and make it a base race. I try to prep for this by throwing up hatches in a couple remote locations as my ovies move out, but...

messy

Reply Quote
Nydus worms replace OL drops.

The only time an OL drop would be more effective is if you couldn't actually get your Nydus worm built due to the enemy noticing it and killing it repeatedly.

But even then, you'd only OL drop just to protect a Nydus long enough to finish emerging and then follow it up with more waves of enemies.

In every other scenario, the Nydus worm is superior.
Reply Quote
I find uses for both. A lot of times, if you doom drop, you usually have to have enough to wipe them out, or you lose your forces. I like using overlords for banelings drops, but with nydus worms, you can spawn them, throw your entire army at their mineral line, and when they moblize, get out, or head back and defend. It can be harder to get nydus going though.
Reply Quote
In every other scenario, the Nydus worm is superior.

Nydus worms spit your units out one by one so I don't know how it could possibly be superior. Not to mention the worm is sitting building in their base for like 10 seconds and makes a lot of noise.

Doom drops can be dropped directly into the mineral line and will completely decimate enemy economy before they can even react.

OL drops are far superior. But like you said, A nydus coupled with an OL drop would #%#@.
Reply Quote
Overlord drops are nice when combined with banelings. But if your doing a doom drop, throwing the nydus down is so much safer. And if your dropping for mineral harassment, build like 5 mutas instead.
Reply Quote
Nydus worms spit your units out one by one so I don't know how it could possibly be superior. Not to mention the worm is sitting building in their base for like 10 seconds and makes a lot of noise.

Doom drops can be dropped directly into the mineral line and will completely decimate enemy economy before they can even react.

OL drops are far superior. But like you said, A nydus coupled with an OL drop would #%#@.

If people don't notice the Nydus because you got one quickly and put it in their base outside their view, then spitting out units 1 by 1 is no bother, as you can afford the time. If your opponent has defenses setup such that he can kill the units coming out 1 by 1 so quickly that it wont amount to anything, than the Nydus is as useless as if they just killed it.

Hence why I said, if people are quick on their feet and notice the Nydus you try to put in their base, at that point you need to OL drop first before attempting a Nydus worm.

But in every other situation, whether for protecting an expansion, or for ganking someones base from behind, especially if they are slow to react, etc., then the Nydus worm is superior.

Even more so because OL drops can be negated by having a bunch of turrets around the side of their base, Nydus worm protection involves having defenses ready to protect your entire base, and early game that makes a person vulnerable to being hit on any front really, as some of their forces have to take time to get there as backup.
Reply Quote

If people don't notice the Nydus because you got one quickly and put it in their base outside their view, then spitting out units 1 by 1 is no bother, as you can afford the time. If your opponent has defenses setup such that he can kill the units coming out 1 by 1 so quickly that it wont amount to anything, than the Nydus is as useless as if they just killed it.

Hence why I said, if people are quick on their feet and notice the Nydus you try to put in their base, at that point you need to OL drop first before attempting a Nydus worm.

But in every other situation, whether for protecting an expansion, or for ganking someones base from behind, especially if they are slow to react, etc., then the Nydus worm is superior.

Even more so because OL drops can be negated by having a bunch of turrets around the side of their base, Nydus worm protection involves having defenses ready to protect your entire base, and early game that makes a person vulnerable to being hit on any front really, as some of their forces have to take time to get there as backup.

OL drops are viable at certain times- when your opponent has weak spots/minimal AA. But the baneling OL drop decimates, and it's a great way to confuse and anger your enemy while his eco is totally destroyed. Of course, nydus drops are superior in all other situations you listed.
Reply Quote
Baneling drops are FTW
Reply Quote
Alot of strategies could come in play. Fake a nydus in his base and OL drop EXP. or vice versa, fake OL drop and nydus on Main while his attention is on your empty OLs. I love this game, it's chess on steroids.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]