Terran Tactics for Dummies

For the 'reaper rush' just remember that when you get those things out, they are the fastest units in the game at that time besides lings on creep. he wont have any speed upgrade then, and if he does, a) you f***ed up b) hop on walls and stuff...
Edited by Skoundrell on 8/3/2010 7:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
They hit Reapers with the Nerfbat on speed! I was sooo confused my reapers were so dang slow.
Reply Quote
I think there needs to be a little bit of complacency on the part of your opponent to let you get off that many nukes. Congrats on pulling it off though, I'm sure it was a lot of fun :)
Reply Quote
This is the type of thread I like to see. Not being the quickest clicker in the game, I have a difficult time scouting. Any tips on using the keyboard effectively would also be helpful and fits the "tactics for dummies" title. If I'm going to admit to being a dummy why stop at tatics and stradegy?; for example... do you do control (number) for each scout? What is the best use of the control number system? Do typists have a distinct advantage here? These are noob micro questions? Thanks
Reply Quote
@mike

Yeah, for some reason almost no one I play likes to build detectors. It's weird and (honestly) I've run into more detectors in the campaign then I have online.

And Shard, the point of this thread is to offer advice and tactics. Not to grief players. If you can't be constructive I'm sure you can find the back button on your browser.
Reply Quote
I used this strat to get my first win in Bronze. I finally faced someone as new as I was and he couldn't counter my nuke harassment. I just dropped a single ghost in from a medivac, cloaked him and called my nuke. Of the 6 or seven times I did he he iced my ghost twice. It really slowed him down since he was repairing his main area and not able to fully expand. That gave me time to build up a pretty good army and tech up. I was able to defend his minor rushes and rush back. I hope I can do this again but probably won't work against better players. I may consider adding more ghost academies to get back to back strikes but a single nuke is ok too. There is nothing more fun to watch than several buildings taking nuke damage.
Reply Quote
Yeah, for some reason a lot of bronze level players don't build detectors. And Terrans don't seem to realize that Sat Scan IS a detector as well.

And Blizzy, make sure to get your ghost to hit from different angles, make him guess. And make your ghost hold-fire so he doesn't give himself away.
Reply Quote
Really awesome tips and tactics.

The only problem that I honestly have right now is actually remembering to build more units while I'm attacking..Usually screw myself there :/
Reply Quote
great advise guys ive been testing some things out lately and the problem i usually deal with is i suck at counterattacks with these ideas it should at least give me some leg room
Reply Quote
This was an early game tactic that helped me a lot. its a 3 rax push
10 Supply Depot
12 Barracks
14 Supply Depot
15 Refinery
17 Marine
17 Orbital Command
17 Tech Lab (First Barracks)
17 Supply Depot
18 2nd Barracks
18 Marauder
20 3rd Barracks
20 Supply Depot
24 Reactor on 2nd Barracks
26 Supply Depot
27 Tech Lab on 3rd Barracks
35 2nd Refinery
PUSH OUT ONCE FIRST MARAUDER SPAWNS FROM 3RD BARRACKS
45 Stimpack
Constantly produce units.
Found it on youtube a while back, if u search terran opener it should be the first one up.
Build order created by Huskystarcraft :)
Reply Quote
One thing on walling off. Supply Depots walls are easily broken . I like to use as few supply depots as possible b/c they r so easily destroyed, however it is nice to have a *gate* so i can let out soldiers and workers in a controlled manner w/o using a medivac
Reply Quote
Thanks very much for this. Even though I played StarCraft back in the day that still makes me a novice at best right now, so these simple to understand strategies provide a great foundation for me. Much appreciated.
Reply Quote
One of my favorite strategies against protoss is to go mauraders and hellions with the upgrade against light units and go to town. This really works against zelots because the maruraders slow them down while the helions fry them.
Reply Quote
If you put an SCV or two next to your wall on auto-repair then its not so big a deal. Eventually they will focus down your SCV's, but early game isn't a problem cause its all hand-hand units and later on you should smack the army down enough that its still not a problem if the wall falls.
Reply Quote
very helpful strategies , i tried the reaper rush and it worked pretty well, thumps up
Reply Quote
Thank for the positive feedback so far, hopefully we can get some more tactics from people, all of the posts look good, though some are a little too much build order over tactics to make the list, though do not let that deter you from posting them... People will be able to go through each of the posts and read over them. Hope these have helped at least a couple people.
Reply Quote
This is the type of thread I like to see. Not being the quickest clicker in the game, I have a difficult time scouting. Any tips on using the keyboard effectively would also be helpful and fits the "tactics for dummies" title. If I'm going to admit to being a dummy why stop at tatics and stradegy?; for example... do you do control (number) for each scout? What is the best use of the control number system? Do typists have a distinct advantage here? These are noob micro questions? Thanks

Quantum - I myself am not a very quick clicker either. What I find extremely helpful is key binding important units/buildings/workers. To add them to an existing group Shift+(group # (1-0)) To make the targeted unit/building it's own specific group Ctrl+(group #), this along with learning hot keys and getting used to using them will make you a good deal faster.

Honestly a typist may have an advantage if they were to learn all the key bindings, though there's no real competitive edge of it. I would say try some of the challenges they do a great job in some of them of forcing you to use key bindings, don't get frustrated when doing them either, they're designed to teach you not to be easy.
Reply Quote

10: Supply Depot
11: Refinery (put 3 SCVs on it as soon as possible)
12: Barracks
15: Refinery #2 (put 3 SCVs on it as soon as possible)
16: Factory
18: 2x Starports
18: Supply Depot
18: Tech Lab on Barracks
18: Tech Lab on Factory
18: As soon as the Tech Labs are built, swap the two Starports with the Barracks and the Factory.

I'm a total rookie and I just used this one a couple of times. It worked surprisingly well. I wouldn't always end up winning, but it's pretty easy to transition to the bigger battle cruisers after hitting someone's probes or something.

Is that a good idea or should I try something else? Anyone else use the above build?
Reply Quote

10: Supply Depot
11: Refinery (put 3 SCVs on it as soon as possible)
12: Barracks
15: Refinery #2 (put 3 SCVs on it as soon as possible)
16: Factory
18: 2x Starports
18: Supply Depot
18: Tech Lab on Barracks
18: Tech Lab on Factory
18: As soon as the Tech Labs are built, swap the two Starports with the Barracks and the Factory.

I'm a total rookie and I just used this one a couple of times. It worked surprisingly well. I wouldn't always end up winning, but it's pretty easy to transition to the bigger battle cruisers after hitting someone's probes or something.

Is that a good idea or should I try something else? Anyone else use the above build?

It depends on the match I use a similar strat/build order sometimes depending on how i'm feeling, and if you're swimming in minerals massing battle cruisers is always a fun way to go, I personally like the banshees rush with it, but it gives you the ability to do whatever you feel like, because you can always swap out the tech labs if you want to transition back into mass vikings/tanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]