StarCraft® II

Old school LotR map

I'm very happy to see you guys starting to make this great map! Much kudos from me and everyone else who can't wait to see your end results~ Keep up the good work!

Juzzypoo~
Reply Quote
Cant wait for a LOTR LA styled map, I used to play under Rahvin(13) and Ishamael(13) during 03-04, our clan, was the BEST Last Alliance clan out there back then.

Man the memories hahaha
Reply Quote
Last Alliance was decent enough, but I never really got that into it. To be fair, I was mostly playing maps with White-Council people, and of course we were playing our maps instead. xP

Anyway, TRoP is coming along decently. I've got some scale issues and problems converting the 2D terrain into 3D (the map feels so much larger when I run tests on it), but the basic terrain layout is approximately 60% in place. It won't be the most accurate map in the world, but I'll worry about tightening it up after running some beta testing and feedback.
Reply Quote
LA was fun every now and then, but I always thought it funny that Adun, the map creator of all people, never played it because he didnt really enjoy it.
Reply Quote
well we were a lotr clan, just our choice map was LA...

used to do 4-5v1s as mordor lol
Reply Quote
LotR LA was one of the main reasons I continued to play SC1 into recent days.

I would give up someone else's first born child to see this map produced on SC2!
Reply Quote
Well I certainly won't try to reproduce LA, especially since I'm not well-versed in it, though what I am producing will cover from the forging of the rings to the war of the Last Alliance.
Reply Quote
How are people going to find these awesome remakes using that god awful custom game "search" Blizzard has set up?

Maybe we can make a link on this forum somehow? Or do creators have a portfolio style thing that people can go into and download the map?
Reply Quote
I'm sure adun will cave in to sc2 after a few patches, once they bring in chat rooms and a decent UMS system.
Reply Quote
How are people going to find these awesome remakes using that god awful custom game "search" Blizzard has set up?

Maybe we can make a link on this forum somehow? Or do creators have a portfolio style thing that people can go into and download the map?

Freelancer, I don't know about other mapmakers but once I'm ready for beta testing, I will create posts on a couple different websites for people to sign up for testing and to track changes. People are free to add me to their lists to talk about the map, and to facilitate testing / playing until such a time as something is done to correct the current game search system.

I'm sure adun will cave in to sc2 after a few patches, once they bring in chat rooms and a decent UMS system.

Whenever they get around to that, and I certainly hope we get more LotR mapmakers, as those were certainly always my favorite maps.
Reply Quote
Those were some of my favorite maps as well, Cyric. I actually got to make a special edition of Post-LotR for Melkor (I think it was 1.9 Special Edition?). Also, Fenris, the maker of Ragnarok, was the person that I made The Rings of Power with. Ragnarok was always one of my favorite maps, but it was hard to get groups together for.
Edited by Kalreborn on 8/7/2010 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well Isil you're bringing TRoP back (can units at least get annoying in the remake? :) ) and I will hopefully have Pre ready at least for testing in a few weeks. That should be enough to last for a little while imo.

Sure I'll get around to remaking Post, LA or Eriador (map I made with Melk) down the road if Adun doesn't get to it.

And I never was a fan of any of the fancy color LotRs, CME was a good time though.
Reply Quote
Well Isil you're bringing TRoP back (can units at least get annoying in the remake? :) ) and I will hopefully have Pre ready at least for testing in a few weeks. That should be enough to last for a little while imo.

Annoying in what manner? And why would I want to annoy people?

So I've got a serious question that I think is pretty important and pertinent to LotR maps:

Do you guys think that heroes should use the modified (hero) unit models, or do you think they should look like all the other units of their type? This is important because it determines how effectively a hero can be used to defend or attack - traditionally in SC1 LotR maps, you couldn't tell heroes apart from normal units.

The easier you can determine when heroes are being used, the easier it is to counter them, prevent opping, and so forth.
Edited by Kalreborn on 8/7/2010 6:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was making fun of how inconsequential many of the regular units in TRoP can be.

I am making all the hero's use the same models as regular units, the only one I've done where the hero is special from regular units so far is Luthien (I used Nova's model). But Luthien looked different from other ghosts in original Pre. Glorfindel is made with regular Marine animations and model, Ecth with goliaths and so on and so forth.

I'm doing it specifically for the reasons you brought up.
Reply Quote
I was making fun of how inconsequential many of the regular units in TRoP can be.

Diablito, I wouldn't know because no one has ever mentioned that they felt units in TRoP were "inconsequential" before. Standard units have always been far weaker than heroes in LotR maps, and it's important that a small handful of regular units can't destroy a fortified stronghold at the beginning of the map. TRoP was made to last a long time, not be over in a few minutes. That is by design. :)

*Edit: Assuming that the player in question understood how to use his or her heroes. If someone died right away because they didn't know how to defend or counter, that's not something we were concerned with fixing.
Edited by Kalreborn on 8/7/2010 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Cyric,

That's exactly why I'm going back and forth between how the heroes should look, and thank you for your input! I would prefer that the heroes look different from normal units, but I think what I will do is design the heroes to look like normal units, and then I might experiment with changing the models and actors on them based upon player feedback.

I also intend to start with unit stats being as close to the old TRoP as possible, and then I will modify them as necessary. I'm going for that "classic" feeling, as much as possible. Although I would prefer to be as true to the original and as accurate as possible, I am more concerned with ensuring the map is fun for the LotR map community, though.

... As far as maps go, I still have my old maps folders. 168 LotR maps alone. I only kept the latest versions of every map, and deleted older versions. ;)
Although that does include LotR-style war maps that do not specifically relate to Tolkien. (Wheel of Time, War of Mana [which I really enjoyed], Tree of Belgurnos, Redwall, Ragnarok, and others.)
Edited by Kalreborn on 8/7/2010 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would prefer for heroes to look slightly different from their regular unit counterparts. But not too much to be very noticeable, i still want the possibility of using a deceptive move to bring in 12 marines(well alot more now.. but.. using sc1 as an example) + the marine hero, and the hero to barely be noticeable.
Reply Quote
I would prefer for heroes to look slightly different from their regular unit counterparts. But not too much to be very noticeable, i still want the possibility of using a deceptive move to bring in 12 marines(well alot more now.. but.. using sc1 as an example) + the marine hero, and the hero to barely be noticeable.

Rapter,

All I can really do is use the standard unit models, or use hero / mercenary unit models. For the most part, the hero unit models are considerably different (at least in my opinion). I think there are a few that some people won't notice easily, like the War Pig is only slightly different from a normal Marine, but most of them quite easy to differentiate, in my opinion.

While I would like to make heroes only slightly different, I'm not a graphics designer, so I won't be trying to modify unit models.
Edited by Kalreborn on 8/8/2010 9:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]