StarCraft® II

Old school LotR map

Maldais,
Place the building / doodad / whatever, bring up the properties, turn off placement restrictions for that individual instance of the unit, and then set collision. Copy and paste the unit to reuse, if you don't want to keep turning off placement restrictions. That'll let you place the object pretty much anywhere but still stop units from pathing through it.

Telchar,
That's a good idea which I hadn't considered yet. There's a thread about "selecting your hero unit in the lobby", which is probably the trick I will use.

Also, The Rings of Power is a Second Age map, as it spans from the creation of the rings, to the first overthrow of Sauron by the Last Alliance of Elves and Men. Although it is mostly focused on the latter part of the age.

Also, the scarab-launching unit was the reaver. Diablito is attempting to reproduce the attack type, and I may replace it.
Edited by Kalreborn on 8/10/2010 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey guys, I was in Clan {wc} on SC, the White Council. We made many Lotr maps and help with others(Information and such, we were tolkien guru's) If any of my knowledge I have in my head of Lotr or Middle Earth can help, just let me know. Being young I read everyone of tolkiens books over and over.

Also, anyone remember the WC guys, I'm looking like crazy for the other mofos.
Reply Quote
Hey guys, I was in Clan {wc} on SC, the White Council. We made many Lotr maps and help with others(Information and such, we were tolkien guru's) If any of my knowledge I have in my head of Lotr or Middle Earth can help, just let me know. Being young I read everyone of tolkiens books over and over.

Also, anyone remember the WC guys, I'm looking like crazy for the other mofos.

Sabaco,
I'm Isildur(WC). I'm also in touch with Celeborn and Ancalagon. I used to talk to Saruman, Ecthelion, and Melkor over IM even after I stopped playing SC, but I haven't seen them online in years.
Edited by Kalreborn on 8/10/2010 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Maldais/Isil,

For unit placement, if you just hold the shift key as you're placing it, it ignores placement restrictions, thats what I do.

Heh, I was working on a reaver replacement, but the version of the map I was working on got corrupted somehow (I was getting white spheres at the feet of almost every unit) So I gave up on that for the time being and moved on. I still plan on getting back to it, but I may get lazy and just replace it (walking carriers!)
Reply Quote
Maldais/Isil,

For unit placement, if you just hold the shift key as you're placing it, it ignores placement restrictions, thats what I do.

That's going to make things a lot easier. Thanks.

What model are you using for your arb replacement btw? I'll probably use the same to add some consistency between maps.
Edited by Maldais on 8/10/2010 2:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm using the Mothership right now. I shrunk it and made it not as slow (more comparable to arbiter speed) and now I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of its annoying habit of circling where you want it to move. Also made cloak units only.
Reply Quote
I really dislike the mothership and would actually like to see more variety, so I'm using the warp prism (in transport mode).

I've added cloak to it, along with recall and vortex (for now). I need to determine how I'm going to change cloak, since the structures that represent bases on my map are units as well.
Edited by Kalreborn on 8/10/2010 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Units in Trop better be completely useless and lag the game to hell and back just because they exist. Lag is the new ccmu.

Also good luck making Pre popular again assuming the dual arb community is still extant in any fashion(maybe it isn't? been a few years).

Lastly WotS > your soul and Adun was a fantastic mapmaker while being fairly mediocre at the games he made, and if one was to surmise probably pretty mediocre at everything else too (though perhaps the greatest thing ever to grace the planet... in his own mind). But hey, if he can make another good map then who gives a @*%# how far his head is up his own ass.

TRoP 2.7 whaaaat

Ecth is a golden God of awesomesauceness and candy
Reply Quote
I really dislike the mothership and would actually like to see more variety, so I'm using the warp prism (in transport mode).

I've added cloak to it, along with recall and vortex (for now). I need to determine how I'm going to change cloak, since the structures that represent bases on my map are units as well.

I don't necessarily like the mothership but *shrug*

As far as the cloaking issue, just apply some special flag to the bases that wont get used anywhere else and put that on the exclude from cloak behavior list or cloak search or whatever.

Also good luck making Pre popular again assuming the dual arb community is still extant in any fashion(maybe it isn't? been a few years).

As Isil said earlier, I really couldn't care less if people want dual arbs. Ang has dual arbs, they can play them.

Lastly WotS > your soul and Adun was a fantastic mapmaker while being fairly mediocre at the games he made, and if one was to surmise probably pretty mediocre at everything else too (though perhaps the greatest thing ever to grace the planet... in his own mind). But hey, if he can make another good map then who gives a @*%# how far his head is up his own ass.

WotS was a very fun game. it was also quite a mess for him to clean up the terrain after we used a map protection breaker which screws any terrain editing as well as any doodads like trees.

As for Adun's playing ability *shrug* I cant say I ever lost a game if we played on the same team and games with us on opposite teams usually turned into a stalemate.
Reply Quote
Units in Trop better be completely useless and lag the game to hell and back just because they exist. Lag is the new ccmu.

If you insist. :)

TRoP 2.7 whaaaat

Yeah, real TRoP didn't go past 1.2, which I'm working off of.

Ecth is a golden God of awesomesauceness and candy

wat

As far as the cloaking issue, just apply some special flag to the bases that wont get used anywhere else and put that on the exclude from cloak behavior list or cloak search or whatever.

Yeah, that's my plan. I haven't gotten around to implementing it yet though.
Reply Quote
out of almost all of the maps on sc1 and bw lotr maps were my fav and will still be. kingdoms was great helms got over created half the versions being to easy and the other half being to hard...but even wotr lotr isn;t matched by anything i've seen in sc2...i will just have to wait till the day some better lotr maps are out.
Reply Quote

If you insist. :)

Speaking of lag, what is the usual cause of lag in games? In SC1 if you triggered the map poorly, you could get intense trigger lag (IE lots of stuff just running constantly). What causes game lag in SC2?
Reply Quote
Speaking of lag, what is the usual cause of lag in games? In SC1 if you triggered the map poorly, you could get intense trigger lag (IE lots of stuff just running constantly). What causes game lag in SC2?

I've seen a few different causes of game lag at this point. First and foremost, way too many active units in a compressed area performing actions simultaneously seems to be an issue. (Looking at you, TD / Evolves / et cetera.) You will also get momentary lag if you cloak and crapload of units all at once, though this is temporary from what I've seen. Also, people who have their graphics settings too high and are receiving system lag as a result of too much occurring on-screen at once - this slows down everyone else, as well.
Reply Quote
Weather effects also cause lag just by default (effects + anything more than a handful of units = lag). Once a game is lagged to *%#% it doesn't stop being so regardless of what happens afterward. I've tried running lower graphics and it still lags no matter the situation (generally same in the campaign too).

As for Adun's playing ability *shrug* I cant say I ever lost a game if we played on the same team and games with us on opposite teams usually turned into a stalemate.

Comedy gold, thank you sir.
Edited by Efreet on 8/10/2010 7:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey guys, I'm currently working on a Helms Deep map for SC2 and stumbled on this thread. I haven't seen any out so far. The map is going to be very polished and will have extensive data editing done to it so it won't just be a crappy thrown together version.
Reply Quote
Weather effects also cause lag just by default (effects + anything more than a handful of units = lag). Once a game is lagged to *%#% it doesn't stop being so regardless of what happens afterward. I've tried running lower graphics and it still lags no matter the situation (generally same in the campaign too).

I am hoping for the smoothest gaming experience I can manage, but we'll see how it turns out. LotR maps are known for having some pretty large battles, but I'm hoping that having the fighting distributed across the map rather than always centrally focused will help with some of the slowdown issues.
Reply Quote
Well to be fair, LotR maps got most popular in early BW, and by that time most computers and internet connections handled BW very well. So I'm sure in a few years when computers handle SC2 very well LotR games will be less laggy :)
Reply Quote
If lag becomes a big issue we can just make smaller but more powerful armies. The regular spawns were only really useful for attack click defence pushes and distractions to set up an op anyway. Micro was reserved for special units that come later in the game and heroes.
Reply Quote
Just want to say I'm glad to hear you guys are doing this, TRoP and LA were two of my favorite UMS maps back in the day (probably because I sucked at the macro side of SC). There were probably a dozen or so other LotR maps I enjoyed too, but those two are the main ones I can remember.
Reply Quote
Anyone who would like to chat about the map, map-making in general, or exchange ideas for LotR or war strategy maps in general is free to add me on Battle.net. :)
You can get character codes off the forum by clicking on the little down arrow next to someone's portrait and name. (I'm not gonna say my code, I'm going to be a jerk and expect that everyone is smart enough to click on the arrow.)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]