StarCraft® II

Mega Marines Strategy... Try this out

I came up with this after playing through the single campaign on hard mode, and after learning how effective 20-30 marines with stimpacks really are. Let me know what you think.

Get yer marines, get stimpacks, and optionally shields. Then upgrade ground unit weapons and armor if you think you need to, I do. Reactors work best for the first one or two barracks, need tech lab on second or third for stimpack upgrade, depending on how long you want to wait for the awesome to happen. Siege tank backup for heavily fortified bases, preferably with scans to cover line of sight issue with the tanks. If something runs at the tanks, stimpack the marines and focus fire... or don't. Random stimpack firing does the job just fine with a tier 1 or 2 weapons upgrade.

This little strategy nets you an early advantage, map control, and some major anti-air. There isn't much that 20 stimpacked marines can't kill... Especially when they are on tier 2 or 3 upgrades. This works especially well againt Protoss that like Rays and Carriers.

I like throwing in a few marauders with concussive upgrade just to slow down retreaters. Also, if you want to expand early, go for it. The land unit upgrade building lets you build a cannon on your expansion, and a handful of marines and some novice microing easily defend against ground-based threats.

This strategy works so well I am almost inclined to say marines are unbalanced... Almost.
Reply Quote
Oh, and you might want to control group the marines. Nothing is more frustrating than going through all of those upgrades, boxing units, and having your lead unit be a siege tank and wasting a few critical stimack seconds finding and double clicking a marine to turn stimpack on.
Reply Quote
Good strategy, but it can be countered like any other. I'd go blink stalkers/colossi, blink in/out to snipe your tanks, then watch marines/marauders melt from those extended thermal lances.
Reply Quote
Blink range is short, marines can pretty much still hit you after the blink. If you blink on a hill, I can Command Center a scan on you and wipe you out. Colossi do work against 20 or less, but not 30 or more unless you have 2 or more. Try it out sometime, the stimpacked marines do insane amounts of damage. They can kill a Colossus after the second time it fires.

But then again, I never did mention the scanning upgrade as a big part.
Reply Quote
Look at how fast your marines melt to tanks and colossus, still this strategy is pretty useful, mass marines work wonders with stim and shields, just remember to scout, if enemy has siege and colossus you'll have to add marauders or something else to the mix.
Reply Quote
Blink range is short, marines can pretty much still hit you after the blink. If you blink on a hill, I can Command Center a scan on you and wipe you out. Colossi do work against 20 or less, but not 30 or more unless you have 2 or more. Try it out sometime, the stimpacked marines do insane amounts of damage. They can kill a Colossus after the second time it fires.

But then again, I never did mention the scanning upgrade as a big part.

I'm not particularly worried about the marines firing on my stalkers after I've sniped out the tanks. As a matter of fact, the stalkers are there to soak up damage for the Colossi after that. And I always have two Colossi before I push out...forefield my ramp if you try to be aggressive prior to that. Pretty much my standard MMM ball strategy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]