StarCraft® II

United Earth Directorate

It was wierd that you didnt see the UED in the campaign. I remember that the remaining UED fleets commanded by General DuGalle did retreat back to Earth. In the travels I know that General DuGalle took his life, perhaps they will return in the next expansion.
Reply Quote
The fleet was wiped out by the zerg before it made it back to Earth, if I recall correctly
Reply Quote
The epilogue after the closing cinema clearly states that Kerrigan hunted down the remainder of the UED fleet and killed all of them. It's unlikely that there are enough UED forces that remain to prove capable of creating an army needed to fight the Terrans, Zerg, and Protoss of the Koprulu Sector. The only way this would happen is if Earth sent more fleets.
Reply Quote
The closest thing you're going to get to the UED in SC2 is the Spartan Company mercenaries.

Though in the wider lore there is the possibility of Stukov starting something up. It would be cool if he joined Raynor, imo.
Reply Quote
One of the mercenary groups was a remnant of the UED. The Goliaths, I think.

Reply Quote
[...]
At last it became clear that the UED fleet could not hope to overcome Kerrigan at her full strength. For her amusement, Kerrigan allowed the fleet to flee in the direction of Earth, giving it a reasonable head start before she sent the Swarm after them.

Kerrigan’s forces soon overtook the UED fleet and tore it apart. Not one of the fleet’s ships would reach Earth to report the events that had taken place in the Koprulu sector.

[...]

The UED expeditionary fleet was shattered during the Brood War and now only a few isolated pockets of survivors remain hidden in the Koprulu sector.

Taken from the Starcraft lore page
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/lore/story-so-far/
Reply Quote
I think the UED realized that they were better off not in control of the colonies. It is debatable how strong old earth really is. The UED showed up just in time for the Confederacy/Dominion civil war and were able to do some real damage. They foolishly lost a lot of men trying to control the zerg and needed to head home.

They probably realized that the Zerg was too much of a threat and that Earth was too far out of the way to warrant another attempt of controlling the colonies. Perhaps the UED will come out of hiding once the Zerg have been destroyed. This would leave the protoss/human colonies easy for the taking.

The UED is smart to sit this battle out and rebuild their forces.
Reply Quote
Who knows but Im sure that earth must have been informed somehow.... General DuGalle did send a message to his wife right before he offed himself
Reply Quote
The UED fleet was utterly destroyed to the last ship - literally. The FEW surviving UED troops who weren't with the fleet in the last battle against Kerrigan scattered all across the sector and either joined the dominion/became mercenaries.

Earth and a possible other army still exists but nothing remains of the UED force from BW.
Edited by PTZ on 8/2/2010 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the UED realized that they were better off not in control of the colonies. It is debatable how strong old earth really is. The UED showed up just in time for the Confederacy/Dominion civil war and were able to do some real damage. They foolishly lost a lot of men trying to control the zerg and needed to head home.

They probably realized that the Zerg was too much of a threat and that Earth was too far out of the way to warrant another attempt of controlling the colonies. Perhaps the UED will come out of hiding once the Zerg have been destroyed. This would leave the protoss/human colonies easy for the taking.

The UED is smart to sit this battle out and rebuild their forces.

The only reason the Zerg was able to defeat them is because of the combined forces of the Terrans, Protoss and Zerg...

I think that means they are pretty powerful
Reply Quote
Yeah, plus they succesfully invaded Char, the Zerg homeworld. Oh, and then they strated colonizing it. Oh right, then they mind controlled the Overmind, who essentially controls all the Zerg, even Kerrigan (I think, I was always a little fuzzy on that point. It seems like he did but then again the eyeball said that it left her will intact sooo....).

Point is, the UED was massively powerful, even with just the small fleet they sent. The only way they were dethroned was by the Protoss being xenophobes, Kerrigan manipulating Raynor and the toss' and Mengsk being a greedy old bastard.
Reply Quote
The United Earth Directorate is by far the strongest human faction in Starcraft. They easily crushed the Dominion and would have crushed everyone else if the various factions in the Koprulu Sector hadn't decided that being annihilated/infested by the zerg was a better fate than paying lip service to some quasi-fascists from across the galaxy.
Reply Quote
Were the quasi-fascists? I missed that part. Seemed like they would be more along the lines of a "peoples republic" too me.
Reply Quote
Yeah, but from the UED's perspective this is pretty scary. The general assumption seems to be that none of their fleet returned, meaning nobody in the UED knows what happened. All they know, is they sent a gigantic expeditionary force. Suddenly all contact falls off. In most cases, that probably means they'll abandon the idea, so it's unlikely they'll reappear, at least any time soon, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
I find it hard to believe they don't know what happened. Apparently they saw everything that happened prior to their arrival, down to the overmind growing on Aiur. They saw this from Earth.

Either they have really good telescopes or they have spies. I don't think the Zerg could have hunted down both completely.
Reply Quote
Who knows but Im sure that earth must have been informed somehow.... General DuGalle did send a message to his wife right before he offed himself

I'm pretty sure they were never able to contact earth and no one lived to tell the tale. Earth has no idea what happened and whether the fleet is alive or not. Dugalle's message never got to his wife.

Based on Edmund Dukes reaction to the UED arrival in the Kop sector it seemed like Earth and the Kop sector are very isolated from one another.
Reply Quote
The 4 original supercarriers from Earth spent 28 years traveling some kind of hyperspeed to get to the Koprulu sector. It's no trivial task to make that trip.

Also, Stukov is dead.
Reply Quote
I'm not at all sure how communications work in SC, but it seems like the fleet was unable to send a message to earth. As such, they really have no idea what's going on.

Besides which, I'm starting to think that Earth is ill-equipped for the fight. Even the Terrans only get by relying on Homefield advantage and being scrappy little fighters. Not even Earth has anything that can match the Zerg or Toss on a level battlefield.
Reply Quote
What about the UED news broadcasts? So... That was only shown to the members of the UED expedition? I don't know 100% of the lore details to this but it makes sense that people on Earth know what's going on.
Reply Quote
What about the UED news broadcasts? So... That was only shown to the members of the UED expedition? I don't know 100% of the lore details to this but it makes sense that people on Earth know what's going on.

That broadcast was made for the Terrans in the Kopulu sector. You can even see the UNN logo in the movie I believe (The same UNN that you see all the time in SC2.)

I think they assumed that Terrans would feel more sympathy toward their homeworld then they did (Which is to say, I don't think any Terran ever gave two **** about earth.)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]