counter for toss cannon/voidrays?

I playing this guy the other day, and he massed cannons in his base and massed void rays.

Now i got hydras upgraded to take out his voidrays pretty easy but i couldnt get to his mineral line to destroy the probes or damage his economy because of the cannons.

So the only thing i could come up with to be safe was broodlords, corruptors and hydras. pretty expensive.

since all my hyrdas were spead out at each base around my mineral lines protecting my base. I chose to attack his economy with broodlords and corruptors. Sadly the same number of corruptors, if not more are overmatched by voidrays. And i wasnt under canon fire. And my units were upgraded t2.

Eventually almost all the minerals were gone on the map and he had cannons everywere in his mineral supply and i was pumping out hydras to keep alive from the voidrays.

It came to the point i couldnt expand because the minerals were depleted, i was pumping out hydras to protect me from the voidray harrase and i couldnt attack his base because my broodlords/corruptors i couldnt afford anymore.

His voidrays overtook me.

Any other strats for this defence. And i know "dont let him get that many voids" but how can i get in his base without broodlords if its full of canons?

Please help :)

Reply Quote
This exact same thing just happened to me, but I went roach first then saw all his cannons/voidrays and got destoyed. The voidrays took over the 3 bases I had and the corrupters I had made beforehand did almost nothing.
Reply Quote
Mass expand with mass hydralisks. If you let him expand that's your own fault.
Reply Quote
Roach tanks in the front with hydras in the back is really good.
Reply Quote
Mass expand with mass hydralisks. If you let him expand that's your own fault.

So true. If he's massing cannons, you need to expand asap. By the time those VRs are heading towards your base, you can smash them with mutas or hydras, and you'll have a huge resource advantage.

For added fun, put a burrowed zergling or baneling in all the minerals points in the map and watch for expansions. As soon as you see him trying to expand, send speedlings to destroy it.
Reply Quote
Yes i suppose thats what i needed to do. I just saw that he had a ton of voids, i was trying to rush as much hydras as i could asap.
Reply Quote
Take the massing of his cannons as a good sign. Sure you will not be able to break into his base right away. But cannons at 150 minerals when massed is quite expensive. That means less expansions or extra units you will have to worry about which means you will be able to out macro him. If he is going off one base and you have 3 or 4 you will have more resources to get better upgrades or replenish your army when you finally do fight
Reply Quote
Baneling bust + Speedlings, Use queens to defend yourself from Voids while you wreck his base.
Reply Quote
gotta test this but expand once grab a spire get a ton of corrupters then go to broodlords later
Reply Quote
one of the best ways if your having alot of VR's being tossed at you is NOT TO GO BL's. Get 3/3 Ultra's and run his cannons over.and have the hydra's blow his VR's out of the sky. you would be surprised how fast ultra's will wreck base defenses even without upgrades muchless when you get them to 3/3(while your at it also get the hydra's 3 attacks). Also if you expanded as you should have you can quite easily just que up your unit outside his base and have a steady line of units headed to his base.
Reply Quote
Raptor you realize that upgraded 3/3 ultras take like 20 minutes to get, and that he can have almost a dozen FULLY CHARGED rays by the time that happens?

Its a wonderful world where he doesnt smoke your ultras in a second and a half with his dozen or so VRs. I wish zerg still had scourge so we could counter VRs.
Edited by TAXman on 8/3/2010 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Also with 10 mutas, you can ambush his rays on their way to your base. With good micro you can kill one, retreat, wait for the charge to go away, go back, kill another, etc. I've had many protoss do this to me and when they do i laugh and get mass ultralisk as a joke and steamroll them.

I would be wary of this as mutalisks will come out way after their void rays. If the protoss player is decent you will not have time to get the mutalisks, and in fact might give them an opportunity to snipe your spire. And of course if he has mass cannons the mutalisks might be frustratingly useless against his mineral line.

In general Hydralisks or Mass Queen is a safer choice. But once you've dealt with the void rays the protoss player won't have enough money for any significant army.

My suggestion is spread your creep, take expansions, get mass queen/roach/hydralisk. Banelings can also probably win the game before they actually get the void rays.
Edited by DoubleReed on 8/3/2010 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
this just happened to me as a toss player expanded quickly and set up cannons.

this allowed me to grab my natural as well as a high yield. I made 56 units consisting of mainly hydras, overseers, corruptors and broodlords.
Reply Quote
Raptor you realize that upgraded 3/3 ultras take like 20 minutes to get, and that he can have almost a dozen FULLY CHARGED rays by the time that happens?

Its a wonderful world where he doesnt smoke your ultras in a second and a half with his dozen or so VRs. I wish zerg still had scourge so we could counter VRs.

Actually they don't. You fast expo. Twice sat your main and natural get the gas going in the 3rd. Drop 2 evo chambers (hell 3 if you want missile attacks) and getting both melee and armor while you get infestor pit and hive tech along with ultra cave. 3/3 might be a slight strech but 2/2 Ultra's by the time their armor is done is not and you can easily have 4 or 5 ultra's and 20+ hydra's which will shred both base defenses and the VR's. Minerals is not the main restriction for Zerg its gas which is what slows the army and upgrade down. Dealing with VR's is easy the only thing the toss have that worries me is bulk HT's.

But considering your at bronze you might still not have a full grasp of how to get ultra's and upgrades in time. If zerg are left ot freely expand both creep and expo's your letting the zerg player do EXACTLY what he wants you to do. Let him get a 200/200 army and build 1 giant creep highway and hell even toss down a nydus near your base for a fast track to and from his bases with a mountain of hydra's and letting the ultras tank hits and wreck cannons. I see a toss cannon turle I don't even bother with T1 units. I drop 3 spines in front of my nat tech to hydra's and pump out 20of them while getting upgrades and expanding to 3-4 bases and getting hive tech once the hive it out the toss had better think of a new game plan because of how hard hydra's chew up VR's the biggest key for killing VR's is A) not let the m charge up only thing B) shift right click on them so you establish a traget que so all your hydra's are blasting one VR at a time. 20 hydra's will 1 shot a VR before the VR's come even close to 1 shotting an equal amount of hydras andyou can have reinforcements as needed being made very quickly and cheaply.
Edited by Raptor on 8/3/2010 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]