StarCraft® II

SC2 Ladder Analysis: What YOU Need to Know

(Sticky)

LEAGUES

League Overview

It is not currently known how leagues are divided, but it is certain that they each contain a certain percentile of players. I estimate that to be this:

Top 10% - Diamond
10-25% - Platinum
25-45% - Gold
45-70% - Silver
70-100% - Bronze

I

To me it would just be more logical to have:
20% - Diamond
20% - Platinum
20% - gold
20% - silver
20% - bronze

LEAGUES

League Overview

It is not currently known how leagues are divided, but it is certain that they each contain a certain percentile of players. I estimate that to be this:

Top 10% - Diamond
10-25% - Platinum
25-45% - Gold
45-70% - Silver
70-100% - Bronze

To me it would just be more logical to have:
20% - Diamond
20% - Platinum
20% - gold
20% - silver
20% - bronze

It was closer to that in beta when they had copper and no diamond. But player skill here doesn't follow a strict bell curve. There is not a distinct division of skill between any of the bottom 40%, and there is a huge distinction within the top 20%.
Reply Quote
- StarCraft
Oh thanks for mentioning that. You just made me realize that I forgot to update the first post with the fact that leagues are actually not percentiles at all, but solely MMR breakpoints. I updated the TL thread weeks ago but looks like I forgot to mirror the update here :O
Reply Quote
Hi,
Wanted to know how the league Matchmaking system works for teams such as 3v3 and 4v4. I have played roughly 200 games of which maybe half to more are with 3v3 and 4v4 teams ..... I am in the bronze league and my team mates are in the bronze leagues... (we are not that good) but we constantly come across playing against platnium and diamond league 4v4 teams and 3v3 teams. (ofcourse we are not that good cause we cant seem to get a team in our level) My questions are.... "Is there a hidden match ranking value for team play?", "Is the team rating effected by 1v1 rating?" "Whats the reasoning behind having to play against Diamond and Platnium rating teams when we have constantly lost to them in bronze league?" and " Is there away to fix it?" I greatly enjoy playing the game just starting to get frustrated and turned away from the game it self. I dont mind one bit being in the worst league, I just would like to be able to compete against players of simular skill. The purpose of the game is to have fun and competitive at the same time. Unfortunatly the competitiveness ceases to exist in Team play and the fun has dimished because of the constant beating given to us by higher ranked players and teams. Any incites would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
Great post, thanks. My problem with the matchmaking system is that they need to not be matching bronze players against platinum/diamond/gold, its ridiculous and really kind of ruins the game.
Reply Quote
So thats how you get promotion thx

Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
k
so what dos it mean when your a 425 point plat player playing vs 2.2k diamond players?
and then win?
and then after that have like 20 games where your vs these high ranked diamond players and you win some but lose to most.
then it just randomizes your game statistics forcing you vs gold/plat/diamond/grandmaster/silve/bronze.

i mean i havnt played the leagues in awhile and such mostly becouse im kinda scratching my head still over how the league is sopos to work.

are you basicly saying a 425 point plat player is kinda has the same skill as a 2.2k diamond players and such?
eh nvm i havnt played in ever my match history is kinda f-up anyways not showing eveything clearly, but if i knew how to show you my replays i would.

You've got a ton of bonus pool, over 2300 in 1v1. If you have 425 points now, all things being equal and maintaining a steady win ratio of 50% until you've spent your entire bonus pool, you would roughly be at 2725 points, or fairly close to a 2200 point Diamond player who has spent most or all of his bonus pool.
Reply Quote
What I find very annoying is being promoted, keeping your points then getting your @$$ handed to you by better players that I'm not entirely ready to play, so I get demoted >< something needs to be done
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
What I find very annoying is being promoted, keeping your points then getting your @$$ handed to you by better players that I'm not entirely ready to play, so I get demoted >< something needs to be done

That's a psychosomatic effect. The players you play after your promotion aren't actually any more difficult on average than the ones you played just before your promotion. The skill levels are quite gradual and MMR is overarching, so there are no sharp increases after a league change.
Reply Quote
I have a question, my buddy and I have been playing many 2v2s lately, but we have a huge bonus pool because we didn't play together for awhile. We have increased in skill and lately have only been losing to straight diamond teams.

Now to my actual question. Why have we not been promoted? We have proven our skill by defeating golds and platinums multiple times. I'm starting to think it is because our MMR has increased so fast that it does not know where to place us, but I'm extremely surprised we have not been promoted yet.
Reply Quote
I havent played SC2 as intensely as i would like, so i am placed in bronze league right now, at around 30th rank ATM. I want to know why i keep getting placed in matches against people who are around 10th in Gold League when i am Bronze, even if they dropped thier score with a ton of losses, they shouldnt be playing people almost 3 leagues below them, its unfair that someone can drop thier score just to grief someone that legitimately wants to learn the game with people of thier actual skill level, just because they have low morality.
Reply Quote

That's a psychosomatic effect. The players you play after your promotion aren't actually any more difficult on average than the ones you played just before your promotion. The skill levels are quite gradual and MMR is overarching, so there are no sharp increases after a league change.

"psychosomatic" made me lol. thanks for the prognosis.
Reply Quote
Hey Blizz, I took a 3 month break from serious ladder play and I am certain I don't belong in high diamond.

Can you include a button to erase your current ladder standings in that bracket, and re-qualify for a position more appropriate to your current skill level?

I didn't get worse, just now the Diamond league is filled with better players as the game matures. It's like I got left behind.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Hey Blizz, I took a 3 month break from serious ladder play and I am certain I don't belong in high diamond.

Can you include a button to erase your current ladder standings in that bracket, and re-qualify for a position more appropriate to your current skill level?

I didn't get worse, just now the Diamond league is filled with better players as the game matures. It's like I got left behind.

That's going to correct itself over time as you play more games. Furthermore, the leagues are locked until tomorrow (read the sticky threads in the General forum as well as the blog posts) which means promotions/demotions are frozen. If you continue underperforming in your league, you'll get dropped to a lower league once Season 2 starts.
Reply Quote
Please fix your system. There is no justification for Bronze players getting on my team vs other Gold and Plat palyers.
Reply Quote
help, why does the game client take so damn long to download? i had to get a new laptop and now i dnt have the disc... so i use game client and in 3 hours it says 4% downloaded....WTF plz help i dnt wanna wait 2 more days to play
Reply Quote
Based on the fact that I am in Bronze in 1's.. Yet i have won my last 30 games in a row (yay for win streaks) in 1v1...climbing to 3rd with 1112 points. Yet I have not been promoted..

My win / lose ratio has never been below 3 - 1 at the bare minimum.

There is a serious problem with the ladders. I play custom vs gold and higher, and i play fine. Yet they wont move me out of bronze after completely demolishing my bronze opponents one after the other, even DOUBLING there score each game completely tearing them to pieces. I finally looked at my 30 win streak and said: The ladders are flawed...
Edited by DSteezy on 6/5/2011 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]