How the meta-game makes Zerg feel underpower

If it doesn't get shot down before seeing anything useful because of towers. Not to mention that an upgraded overlord is not going to break any speed records. Plus losing it is a more costly form of scouting than the other races.

Creative solutions can help the scouting problem, but shouldn't a race that requires constant scouting be at least equal to the other races in scouting ability?

Scout with peons like every other race
Reply Quote
Well, while I think everyone has the right to be vocal on their balancing complaints, I just don't don't think your argument here is very strong. Upgraded Overlords I feel are actually very capable scouts in the mid- and late-game. Because it can take a decent amount of damage, it can usually see the majority of a player's base before being killed (and really, the majority of the times I can wiggle in and out of the base with my overlord surviving). If it is in fact killed quickly without being able to retreat, then you probably just saw their entire army.

Also, Zerg has two other pluses when it comes to scouting--1) An abundance of Overlords to strategically place around the map for vision, and 2) Cheap, very fast Zerglings that can scout obscure expansions or discover enemy army movement efficiently.
Reply Quote
I think the zerg are pretty well balanced. At first, I was thinking they were a bit underpowered vs. mech units, but you learn to adapt to that. I believe zerg beats terran in mobility. Nydus worms and good placement of overlords can go a long way. Our units drop like flies because they're so damn cheap to produce! The zerg are strong in numbers. And yes, zerg do require much more apm than other races, but they can produce a massive army in a matter of minutes..so what's the big deal? I say the zerg are fine, but then again they could use another flyer unit. Laviathan anyone?? Build a single one much like the mothership. It would be the titties
Reply Quote
/
Edited by Daikina on 7/20/2012 8:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1. Upgrade Overlord speed
2. Fly Overlord into enemy base

It'll probably die, but scans cost mules too.

Your not thinking, and like everyoen said, our scouting is fine, it goes much deeper though...

If you get 150 energy, you can still drop those 3 mules and lose nothing. If we are off with our larvae by just 5 or 10 seconds, added up throughout the game. That's minutes of time lost.

Also, Terran has the best scouting in my opinion. Absolutely no effort, all they have to do is click on my base or expansion. Or spots they think may be hidden.

Reply Quote
If you can't get your overlord in due to turret spam, you can be pretty sure that they aren't building enough of any unit at all, especially if you're doing your job of watching over and taking expansions. At that point, who cares what units they are making? There won't be enough of 'em. Just grab some hydras and move out.
Edited by SiderealDay on 8/4/2010 1:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Alright, I have said this before, but I'll say it again (the next step is a whole thread devoted to it).

Preface: I have no problem with zerg scouting. When I don't scout, I admit freely that it is my issue... not a game mechanic issue.

However, to make the 50 energy scan v suicide overlord argument (or scan v overseer/observer for detection argument) is flawed.

The Mule is additive... it adds to what you have. Yes, a choice must be made. It is a good game mechanic.

Overseers/lords and Observers are subtractive. Making them actually takes from your economy.

Start at 0 and you can see it easily.

Building overlord: -100 mineral
Building mule: 300/400 (or whatever) minerals
Using a scanner sweep: 0 minerals
Reply Quote
I think the zerg are pretty well balanced. At first, I was thinking they were a bit underpowered vs. mech units, but you learn to adapt to that. I believe zerg beats terran in mobility. Nydus worms and good placement of overlords can go a long way. Our units drop like flies because they're so damn cheap to produce! The zerg are strong in numbers. And yes, zerg do require much more apm than other races, but they can produce a massive army in a matter of minutes..so what's the big deal? I say the zerg are fine, but then again they could use another flyer unit. Laviathan anyone?? Build a single one much like the mothership. It would be the titties

We need LURKERS back ASAP!

I would love love love lurkers! But if we had a super unit like the leviathan that would make my day
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]