Ultimate Tank Defense! Update

Eh, i guess i shouldn't let this spiral out into some radical free speach debate. I still think blizzards response was a bit heavy handed to what was most likely an honest mistake.

Mistake? For making terrain which randomly may have looked a touch like a certain racist symbol? I think this goes way way too far. :/
Reply Quote
...Seriously, Blizzard?
Unintentional symbols of basic geometric figures, and you flip out and delete a map and revoke publishing rights?
Wow.
Just, just wow.
This is the worst PR I have ever seen. It fails to understand that it is not, in any way, making the game any better but in fact promoting censorship, arbitrariness, and overall stupidity.

I'm done with Blizzard. I'm not going to buy a single game more from them, and I think I'm going to go return SC2. It's not just this, it's a million other things plus this.

Good riddance, I'm going to go play games with a company who cares about their community and knows what they need to and need not to do.

It's been fun. Warcraft 3 was some of the best times in my life. Not because there were moral watchdogs hounding every step, or because there was a hideous popularity system, or because it lacked chat channels. Because WC3 wasn't a restriction in the same way every facet of SC2 has turned out to be.

Have fun guys. Call me if Blizzard takes a sudden 180.
Reply Quote
havent been able to figure out the trigger but for me it freezes sc2 and crashes the game
Reply Quote
...Seriously, Blizzard?
Unintentional symbols of basic geometric figures, and you flip out and delete a map and revoke publishing rights?
Wow.
Just, just wow.
This is the worst PR I have ever seen. It fails to understand that it is not, in any way, making the game any better but in fact promoting censorship, arbitrariness, and overall stupidity.

I'm done with Blizzard. I'm not going to buy a single game more from them, and I think I'm going to go return SC2. It's not just this, it's a million other things plus this.

Good riddance, I'm going to go play games with a company who cares about their community and knows what they need to and need not to do.

It's been fun. Warcraft 3 was some of the best times in my life. Not because there were moral watchdogs hounding every step, or because there was a hideous popularity system, or because it lacked chat channels. Because WC3 wasn't a restriction in the same way every facet of SC2 has turned out to be.

Have fun guys. Call me if Blizzard takes a sudden 180.

I'd hate to see how you react to real problems in the world.
Reply Quote
I love to see all the people basically defending this decision. Context is everything and this was clearly nothing to do with Jews thus the map being banned is ignorant. I feel very let down because when i bought this game i figured it would be like their other games. Now to find out they have moral police i am a sad panda.
Reply Quote
I do find this questionable... I mean, for a 4 player symmetrical map, not being able to use certain patterns for layout is kind of a bummer. I can see where they're coming from, but I just don't know. The symbol is basically just a blocky spiral =/

But whats done is done. I think we can all agree that going forward, before committing genocide, mass murderers should really be careful not to associate themselves with symbols that would make for a good tower defense layout.

Reply Quote
Mistake? For making terrain which randomly may have looked a touch like a certain racist symbol? I think this goes way way too far. :/

So you think they purposely made it look like a swastika? Some kind of hidden third reich agenda to subliminally brainwash players? Come on, I understand Blizzard's actions but don't say it's "Gone way way too far" like they'd turned the map into a parade through conquered Paris.

I dislike people overreacting to dumb issues as much as the next guy, but Blizzard has been on a pretty irritating censorship kick, not to mention the whole RealID fiasco.

If people don't complain about things like this and issues in a seemingly unimportant setting like SC2 it's going to just go on as planned and you'll be playing a very limiting environment. There's nothing wrong with stepping on the right problems but don't slam your foot down on everything because it's easier. Besides, censorship is a real problem whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
Edited by JohnGrimm on 8/4/2010 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I doubt blizz found this on their own. Someone was offended and reported the map maybe even with a screen shot of the mini map and blizzard responded by banning the map because it did look like it had a swastika.
Reply Quote
I tried to do some "troubleshooting" on the dropping... I believe a new version is being upped, but...

Most commonly my SCII will crash on the mini zergling wave, and it usually happens when they are surrounding the HQ, not at the beginning of the wave. So far this has been PRETTY consistent on this wave for mine to crash. I can try to find logs if that helps you let me know.

Appreciate the map, its very fun, if only I can find enough good people to play it with so I we don't die in like 1 minute!
Reply Quote
I doubt blizz found this on their own. Someone was offended and reported the map maybe even with a screen shot of the mini map and blizzard responded by banning the map because it did look like it had a swastika.

This right here. Most of the time anything like this happens with blizzard, multiple reported it which means blizzard will look at it and see if its true.
Reply Quote

Just like how this isn't a real problem either?

User driven content should never be censored; while reasonable or not, you're putting limitations on the people that are basically enhancing your own product. At the very least, there should be filters for maps or perhaps labels denoting that maps may offend users. This is just blizzard taking the lazy way out.

UMS maps were a big reason why I got sc2 in the first place; I would've questioned my purchase had I known that all these limitations were being done. That's what I get assuming the same quality for sc1 and wc3 would be passed on to the 'improved' battlenet.

If the reason for the banned map wasn't such a ridiculously weak argument, I wouldn't care as much. Why not use some common sense rather than being so deathly afraid of the remotest offense? I could also weakly argue that textures of a random map offend my individually created religion. Not doing anything would be discrimination.

If there's any resemblance of N4zis going on, it's not the map or mapmaker.
Reply Quote
Or... you can see that Blizzard has every right to make sure the content they host is appropriate. They have an active interest in making sure players stay happy.

They didn't permanently ban this guy, they removed the map and told him why a few days later. He changed it and it's back up and running. Yet here you are, acting like Blizzard is maliciously undermining our voices.

There was nothing unreasonable in what they did. They're not stopping you from creating content, they're stopping you from creating offensive content.
Edited by Primemover on 8/4/2010 7:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
there is a bug.. on the level with larva, if the command center has creep, they get healed repeatedly :p makes it REALLY hard to beat that level.
Reply Quote
Or... you can see that Blizzard has every right to make sure the content they host is appropriate. They have an active interest in making sure players stay happy.

They didn't permanently ban this guy, they removed the map and told him why a few days later. He changed it and it's back up and running. Yet here you are, acting like Blizzard is maliciously undermining our voices.

There was nothing unreasonable in what they did. They're not stopping you from creating content, they're stopping you from creating offensive content.

The only reasonable explanation is I can let them have is that they're hosting it and they're liable for said content. It just proves that they need individually hosted games, but considering there's no LAN, that's out of the question as well.

I still find the 'offensive content' to be ridiculous and a bit overly reactionary from both Blizzard and whoever reported it. I didn't realize we were playing a child's game where the most seemingly innocent is still under scrutiny.

It just reeks of fear.
Edited by SureShot on 8/4/2010 9:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sweetness! It's good to know y'all are back up and running. :)

Oh, and Indians may still see the symbol in a good light, but I don't think anybody over there plays SC.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]