StarCraft® II

Ultimate Tank Defense! Update

actiblizzard makes me laugh so much, they represent a lot(not all o/c) of america.

seriously, i mean its not like the map maker was promoting bad things, ITS A SYMBOL.

also isnt blizzard, by banning things like this technicaly trying to ignore the subject? i guess we should all do the same, ignore it, the holocause never happened according to blizzard...

honestly, ignorance is almost worst than the thing itself, it happened, we should remember that it did so nothing of the same happens again, not ignore it trying to forget it...

but still FU adolf hitler, not only for all the things you did , but also for ruining a perfectly good 4 sided symbol and for ever stopping anyone from using you moustache seriously...

so IMO maps should be censored, just graded with different content levels, like at the movies(from G to R), so that everyone can ignore them and blizzard has an excuse if anyone tries to sue them(put a parental password on it or something), cuz then its not the game's fault, its just bad parenting.
Reply Quote
It annoys the hell out of me that people feel some entitlement to be OFFENDED at anything and everything and think they can demand that it be changed for the sake of their feelings. Grow the hell up, the world doesn't exist to make you feel comfortable and happy. Lots of things are offensive to lots of people. This was obviously a mistake by the map author, as the content had nothing to do with N!#@ Germany or World War 2. Regardless, the fact that the map was taken down because some little punk was "offended" is pathetic.
Reply Quote
This wasn't used on the side of a synagogue dude, it just happens that this pathing arrangement that works very well for TD's also happens to look like a swastika.

The thing about hyperbole is that it accentuates the ridiculousness of the subject. His pathing made a swastika, so it was inappropriate. He changed it and now his map is back on track. This isn't Blizzard being unreasonable, it was Blizzard following its own rules.

Drop the "victim" complex.

stop saying drop the victim complex.. thats the 2nd time you resorted to ad hominem attacks
insinuating that people are whining just to whine
its a legitimate issue to raise, because the map creator never made anything offensive, but blizzard managed to pull something offensive out of it, and people are complaining for good reason, but you just go ahead and attack them instead of actually giving good solid reasons for the actions
Edited by nerd on 8/5/2010 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This worries me.
I mean i respect people not wanting to see the swastika..but does this mean WW2 maps with custom decals would get deleted?

What if someone remakes "Escape N@zi Prison"? The SC:BW map that is super hard? With the zergling blood swastika at the beginning? It's in context- not intended at all as anti-semitic propaganda- but would Blizzard let people do that? Or will they decide on a policy if PC gone mad? I hope it's the former, because I don't see how referencing the N@zis and their symbols but then portraying them as evil is offensive.
Reply Quote
I just want to let you all know that we finally did recieve a response from Blizzard about a day or two after Ultimate Tank Defense was deleted. Apparently the problem with our map was that the wave pathing caused a certain anti-semite symbol to be displayed on the minimap. This was unintentional and we have since changed the way the units path. (You'll notice the spiffy new terrain.) We would've liked a bit of a warning before the map was deleted, however. Anything like this we would gladly change.

Good news is, we're back on page 1. So maybe the popularity system works just a little bit? We thank you for all your support and the uproar you caused, maybe that's what prompted Blizzard to respond to us with an e-mail. They even left it up for a day or so after we reuploaded and still didn't know the problem.

Also! I would like to take this time to announce that once we flesh out the game entirely, such as make the 3rd Terran upgrade on the Headquarters, balance things out and, fix animations/sound effects and other broken things.. We will be making Ultimate Tank Wars!. This will be a 4 vs 4 map with the same mechanics as Ultimate Tank Defense!. There will be lots of units spawning and you'll try to outlive your opponents. Perhaps upgrading the waves that your opponent recieves? Who knows. We still have a lot of details to work out but hopefully it'll be a fun experience.

The swastika is not an anti-semite symbol. It's an ancient symbol that has been used over 3,000 years. And since then it has been used by many cultures including those of China, Japan, India and southern europe. Even native americans used the symbol. The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the @%*@'s came along the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength and good luck.

The fact that it was used by the @%*@s doesn't eliminate the rest of history and the only @%*@s are the blizzard moderators that are too uneducated to realize a symbol is just a symbol -- it's the ACTIONS of the @%*@s that were criminal. Nobody is gassing jews in a starcraft 2 map -- it doesn't have that power. It's just a game.

This is why censorship is ridiculous. You just pass on your own ignorance to other people instead of letting things be open to discussion. Blizzard are not school teachers and they are not parents...they need to butt out of the custom map system and just let players make their maps and do what they want. If you don't like the map, don't play it. It worked for WC3. It worked VERY well for WC3.

By this same logic, any germans should be banned from starcraft 2 since germans are also connected to @%*@ germany. Also, white people. Also, everyone from germany should be banned.

It's ridiculous to let some pimple faced moderator declare what is and isn't acceptable -- or what things do or do not symbolize. What about all the murder that takes place in the storyline? That's a lot more shocking than some troops running in a swastika symbol.

Stop interfering with creative development. Don't you see the irony of banning people for antisemitism when your own staff are the ones behaving like fascists? This just blows my mind with wave after wave of stupidity.
Reply Quote
I just want to let you all know that we finally did recieve a response from Blizzard about a day or two after Ultimate Tank Defense was deleted. Apparently the problem with our map was that the wave pathing caused a certain anti-semite symbol to be displayed on the minimap. This was unintentional and we have since changed the way the units path. (You'll notice the spiffy new terrain.) We would've liked a bit of a warning before the map was deleted, however. Anything like this we would gladly change.

Good news is, we're back on page 1. So maybe the popularity system works just a little bit? We thank you for all your support and the uproar you caused, maybe that's what prompted Blizzard to respond to us with an e-mail. They even left it up for a day or so after we reuploaded and still didn't know the problem.

Also! I would like to take this time to announce that once we flesh out the game entirely, such as make the 3rd Terran upgrade on the Headquarters, balance things out and, fix animations/sound effects and other broken things.. We will be making Ultimate Tank Wars!. This will be a 4 vs 4 map with the same mechanics as Ultimate Tank Defense!. There will be lots of units spawning and you'll try to outlive your opponents. Perhaps upgrading the waves that your opponent recieves? Who knows. We still have a lot of details to work out but hopefully it'll be a fun experience.

The swastika is not an anti-semite symbol. It's an ancient symbol that has been used over 3,000 years. And since then it has been used by many cultures including those of China, Japan, India and southern europe. Even native americans used the symbol. The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the @%*@'s came along the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength and good luck.

The fact that it was used by the @%*@s doesn't eliminate the rest of history and the only @%*@s are the blizzard moderators that are too uneducated to realize a symbol is just a symbol -- it's the ACTIONS of the @%*@s that were criminal. Nobody is gassing jews in a starcraft 2 map -- it doesn't have that power. It's just a game.

This is why censorship is ridiculous. You just pass on your own ignorance to other people instead of letting things be open to discussion. Blizzard are not school teachers and they are not parents...they need to butt out of the custom map system and just let players make their maps and do what they want. If you don't like the map, don't play it. It worked for WC3. It worked VERY well for WC3.

By this same logic, any germans should be banned from starcraft 2 since germans are also connected to @%*@ germany. Also, white people. Also, everyone from germany should be banned.

It's ridiculous to let some pimple faced moderator declare what is and isn't acceptable -- or what things do or do not symbolize. What about all the murder that takes place in the storyline? That's a lot more shocking than some troops running in a swastika symbol.

Stop interfering with creative development. Don't you see the irony of banning people for antisemitism when your own staff are the ones behaving like fascists? This just blows my mind with wave after wave of stupidity.

Context is an amazing thing. I find it really hard to believe have the intellect to write multiple paragraphs on a subject, but at the same time completely fail to understand it at all.
Reply Quote
Is there like an Internet Tough Guy shot? If there is where would I get it.... I checked Walgreens... They said they didnt carry anything like that.
Reply Quote

That's not how the world works, that's like saying the word Hitler doesn't mean anything because people were named Hitler before Adolf.

You can say its a symbol but the entire western world has had the swastika implanted in them from world war 2, they cant just forget there history and say "its just a symbol."

On the topic of the map itself. I don't think the developers purposely put that symbol in there, it was just a well designed map and the units just so happened to form the symbol on there movement path. As far as Blizz censoring goes i think they are just going a we bit overbored but I think as time goes on they will improve how they handle things, hopefully in the communication department... *hint hint*

Censorship is a hard topic, there should be freedom of speech. But at the same time, blizzard wants people that play there games not to get offended when they start playing custom maps from there browser. If someone gets offended by the map, Blizzard gets the blame.

I personally wasn't offended, but I understand why some people were.
Reply Quote
I went in here looking for tips on how to beat this thing (BECAUSE ITS EFFING IMPOSSIBLE) and all I find are rants about Hitler and whatnot.

Mmmmmkay.

So seriously. How do you beat this? Maybe I keep getting stuck with n00bs that make 5 zealots right away instead of a hero but... COMON.
Reply Quote
:p I just got in to a game where we got really far.. one person had 1600 kills.. while i was still down at 1200 D: usually im atleast double the kill count of everyone else.. but atleast we had good players and didnt fail at life :D
Reply Quote
I usually #@## with burner + zealots\mauraders... but I always have trouble deciding what units to accompany my hero with and never have enough time to choose.

I will look into this... zergling idea..
Reply Quote

+1
Reply Quote
Same issue. I clicked the new brutalisk hero, and I wound up with a sentry, and only 25 minerals and no gas. It completely dropped another player right at the get go.
Reply Quote
It'd be nice to get gas at the end of each wave instead of the beginning of the next. That way us microing hunters aren't scrambling to click cc upgrades right as the wave starts.
Reply Quote
censorship is wrong this country is a police state. If offended realize the person may be ignorant and dont play his map geez that simple.
Reply Quote
too bad dude.
Reply Quote
I notice that if the player does not have a good amount of ram it will crash their computers. I have 6gb of ram on win7 64bit and have never had a map crash on me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]